Hero Blue Black

mrloco

In a PR thread https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=130653 member Possum Hill said he didn't expect to like gray ink but it became one of his favorites. Hero Blue Black is more gray than other blue-blacks I've used and like possum, I didn't think I'd like it but fine myself using it often. Here's a sample of this inexpensive ink.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/609/heroblueblack.jpg

There never was a body that give the undertaker a tip.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrloco

• bluemagister

• mstone

• ttakacs

In a PR thread https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=130653 member Possum Hill said he didn't expect to like gray ink but it became one of his favorites. Hero Blue Black is more gray than other blue-blacks I've used and like possum, I didn't think I'd like it but fine myself using it often. Here's a sample of this inexpensive ink.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/609/heroblueblack.jpg

Is that actually baystate blue, and not concord grape? If so, the color balance is way off (for me, at least). Is this an iron gall?

Yes that's Baystate Blue and yes the color has a bit of red in it. Here's another post with a scan: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86878

While the Noodler's blue is a bit off, the greyish blue of the Hero is pretty close to what I see on paper--I guess there's not much red in the scan to exaggerate.

Re Iron Gall: I've read on FPN "Yes" and "No." I don't know how to tell and the packaging does not indicate. It does however, have "Treated with anti-oxidant and corrosion inhibitor" stamped on the side. I would be glad to know definitively one way or the other and how to tell.

Re Iron Gall: I've read on FPN "Yes" and "No." I don't know how to tell and the packaging does not indicate. It does however, have "Treated with anti-oxidant and corrosion inhibitor" stamped on the side. I would be glad to know definitively one way or the other and how to tell.

Two easy tests: first, after soaking & drying a sample, touch it with bleach (iron gall will immediately vanish except for a faint brown stain); second, (if you're brave) see if it tastes rusty. :-)

WillSW - Glad to hear it's not iron gall. I don't have any iron gall inks and had started reading about how often one should flush if this type of ink is used. Not that I'm against flushing but I'm relieved I don't have to flush periodically just for the sake of flushing.

And yes it has extraordinary shading that comes through even with regular cursive on plain paper with a not-so-flexy nib.

As you say it depends on the pen. In my very inexpensive Camlin Trinity it performs well; however I flushed it from my Parker 51 demi after unspectacular results--not bad, mind you--just not great.

For $2.25 a 59ml bottle it's an easy ink to try out.

Pearl River in NYC. http://www.pearlriver.com/v2/index.html

I believe other folks have found it at the Oriental Culture Enterprises in NYC http://www.oceweb.com/en/index.htm

I believe fpn regular Speerbob carries Hero ink as well--check his ebay listings (linked-to from his own site). http://speerbob.com/

Finally, one can pick it up on ebay but the shipping cost would push the price up quite a bit.

• 4 months later...

Nice review, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

I can only find this on eBay for $7.25 a bottle! Is there anywhere cheaper to get it? Even SpeerBob doesn't carry the blue-black ink!

I believe the Oriental Culture Center in NYC will take mail-order-orders. Note there are two Hero Blue-Blacks I've found:

No. 62 Blue-Black is the ink reviewed in this article;

No. 232 Advanced Blue-Black I found at the Oriental Culture Center ($2.45 for a 60 ml bottle).

Both are very nice inks but the 232 is more blue/less gray than the 62 and has less shading. I've not tested the water resistance of the 232.

As for the BSB purpleness, agreed--the scan is much purpler than the real thing. 'Twas a scanned picture that I did not attempt to color-correct.

I believe the Oriental Culture Center in NYC will take mail-order-orders. Note there are two Hero Blue-Blacks I've found:

No. 62 Blue-Black is the ink reviewed in this article;

No. 232 Advanced Blue-Black I found at the Oriental Culture Center ($2.45 for a 60 ml bottle).

Both are very nice inks but the 232 is more blue/less gray than the 62 and has less shading. I've not tested the water resistance of the 232.

As for the BSB purpleness, agreed--the scan is much purpler than the real thing. 'Twas a scanned picture that I did not attempt to color-correct.

Thanks for the info! I sent an inquiry email!

Last time I visited China I bought a couple of bottles of ink, one of them being Hero blue ink, they were only about $2.00 in Chinese money which seemed like a good deal (at about 6 chinese to 1 U.S. dollar). I like it, but not my favorite.

UPDATE:

I've sent several emails to retailers inquiring about this ink to NO avail. Unless Speerbob carries it in the future, I don't know how I can get this ink. I'd be willing to get 3 or 4 bottles of it, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a bottle of Hero blue-black #232 in Chinatown in NYC ($2.45 for a 60ml bottle at Oriental Culture Enterprises). As was pointed out, #232 is more toward the blue end of the bl/bl spectrum than toward the black--I like it. My question has to do with whether or not it's iron-gall. I soaked it overnight and while some of the ink lifted off, it's easily legible. (Unfortunately, I don't have any bleach handy to do that test.) If it's not iron-gall, it's pretty water-resistant.

I just picked up a bottle of Hero blue-black #232 in Chinatown in NYC ($2.45 for a 60ml bottle at Oriental Culture Enterprises). As was pointed out, #232 is more toward the blue end of the bl/bl spectrum than toward the black--I like it. My question has to do with whether or not it's iron-gall. I soaked it overnight and while some of the ink lifted off, it's easily legible. (Unfortunately, I don't have any bleach handy to do that test.) If it's not iron-gall, it's pretty water-resistant.

I am hoping the Chinese area in Atlanta (the closest major city near me) will have some Hero ink. I know I need 4 or 5 bottles of Hero Carbon from Speerbob, so I will ask him if he can get some #232 in stock.