Sensa Meridan

acogbill

The Sensa Meridian hasn’t been reviewed yet, so I decided to write one up for it. Apologies for the lack of pictures; I don’t have a camera. There are some at Sensa’s website. Thanks to The Noble Savage for designing such an excellent format!

For pictures:

http://www.sensa.com/collection.php3?curre...&c=&pselected=3

First Impressions

I’m still a newbie at collecting fountain pens, but when I was just starting, I was always on the lookout for pens at good prices. Well, I had seen the Meridian in other places and didn’t think it was that great, but when I saw it on sale at the Fountain Pen Hospital for $40, I decided to get it. (I didn’t know that no one would be selling it for $95, so I thought, Wow! $55 off the retail price!) It arrived incredibly fast—the next day, although I had only selected normal shipping. The pen came in a thick cardboard box with papers, a converter, six cartridges, and a bean bag that probably is a pen rest. The box was none too impressive, but the rest was.

4/5

Appearance

The Meridian comes in four finishes. There is the plain black with gold trim, black with what I assume is no trim, a stainless steel looking color (I’m not sure if it’s SS or something else), and champagne, a grayish color with gold trim. I picked the black with gold trim model. The first feature you notice upon seeing the pen is the bullet shaped, uh, thing at the end. It is less thick than the rest of the barrel and designed so that you can post the cap on it. It works admirably. However, on my pen, the cap scrapes away the gold plating on the bullet-shaped-cap-poster in places, making the end a mottled silver/gold in places, and making the gold lighter all around. The black finish on my pen is very good, so much so that any dirt on the pen seems to jump out. It is quite smooth. The cap of the pen seems has a large “jewel” at the top.

4.5/5

Design

This is where I have most of my qualms with the pen.

Some semi-accurate measurements:

capped-5 3/8 inches

uncapped-4 3/4 inches, but I’d never use it uncapped because the posting device makes holding it very uncomfortable.

posted-a bit more than 5 5/8 inches

I don’t have a scale, but the pen is fairly weighty; I think it is has a brass body. I don’t feel one way or the other about the weight.

As I’ve mentioned above, posting the pen scrapes away the gold trim at the end. I don’t mind it much, and I wouldn’t mind it at all if the pen could be used unposted. However, I find that holding the pen unposted is uncomfortable because of the difference in thickness between the posting device and the rest of the pen, so I am forced to use it posted. This causes a problem other than that of the gold trim on the posting device for me—I don’t like the Meridian’s balance when posted. For most people the balance probably would be fine, but I usually don’t post pens because I like a little more weight at the front than at the back. Posting the Meridian causes the reverse of that—it feels like the back weighs a tiny bit more than the front, and the pen’s weight makes me acutely aware of its presence. All in all, it just isn’t comfortable for me.

When capped, the pen looks as if it’s divided into four sections: the cap, separated from the section by a metal ring; the section, separated from the rest of the body by another ring; the rest of the body, separated from the posting device by a difference in thickness, and the posting device itself. The areas are almost equally as long; the shortest one is the posting device. It makes for an attractive arrangement. The second of these areas, the section, has a unique feature: its grip. Sensa’s grip isn’t a typical rubber grip. I’m not sure what the material is, but it slowly molds to your hand and keeps its mold when you release it for a few moments. The grip doesn’t feel gimmicky at all—it looks and feels to be of very high quality. I like it a lot, but the grip isn’t as useful as I thought it would be because it requires a good amount of force to change shape, more force than I use when holding the pen. Still, the texture is good enough to keep a good hold on the pen.

Edit: forgot to add that the cap screws on.

3/5

Nib

The Meridian’s nib is gold plated steel. I don’t think it’s particularly attractive because it seems too small for the rest of the pen and the design is somewhat uninspired. It has the customary “Sensa” and M, some lines around the tines that look tossed in, and Sensa’s symbol. I’m not sure what the feed is made of, but I doubt it’s plastic. I haven’t used an ebonite feed so I can’t say if it is or isn’t ebonite. Whatever it is, the feed looks like it’s built to last.

The nib is smooth and wet, although not gushing. I bought a M nib, and in my opinion it’s on the fine side of medium. It isn’t an exceptional nib but still is nice to use. It is one of the stiffest nibs I’ve written with. If you really push you can get the tines to widen a bit; I’m afraid to push more though. This nib cannot be mistaken for flexible or springy. I haven’t used a rOtring but I bet the Meridian could rival their nibs for nailishness. (If you’ve used a rOtring and the Meridian, can you compare them?)

The nib’s only problem is that it’s a bit “characterless”—it has no spring or any other features that make it stand out.

4.5/5

Filling System

The Meridian is a standard C/C. I think the posting device would have made a nice blind cap, but any other filling system probably would have made the pen weigh a ton so it makes sense to go with C/C. Cartridges and converter fit in with a nice snap. When you push the converter all the way in you can only see the very tip of it, but it fills with ink well.

4/5

Value

The pen’s MSRP is $95. In my opinion, it isn’t worth that at all. As I mentioned above, I got it on sale from the Fountain Pen Hospital for $40 and they’re still selling Meridians for that price. If you’re interested in the pen I think that’s a very fair price, but it can probably be had for less if you shop around.

5/5 for what I paid

Conclusion

I am not a fan of the Meridian. If I did not own one and knew what I do now, I would not buy it again; however, my reasons for disliking the pen are personal likes and dislikes. If you like the finish and don’t mind the posting ordeal, I’d definitely recommend it.

Edited by acogbill

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amh210

• scratchy

• acogbill

• purpledog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice job with the review! Hope you'll take the time to do more for us!

I don't have this pen, but a couple of people I snail with do--and they happen to like it.

For what might be the best price of all, for anyone interested, check Swisher's web site. No affiliation with Swisher's, but they are good pen retailers & ship quickly.

Best, Ann

Re. comparing a Rotring and a Meridian.... My Rotring Initial feels like a steel punch. Literally. I cannot imagine a stiffer nib!

- Jonathan

I have both a Meridian and a Rotring Core. The stiffness of the nibs ARE comparable. You could play a game of darts with either of them!

I like my Meridian and find my medium nib to have better flow than you describe. Individual variation, I'm sure. If you want to loosen the flow, there are several techniques described in FPN posts from a touch of dish soap to the converter to some brass or acetate film flossing of the nib slit and/or the nib-feed interface.

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see this review when it first came out. Sensa ballpoint pens were my first foray into "real" pens. I then received a VP as a gift, and since I loved the way the Sensa ballpoint wrote, I tried a Meridian. I have a Fine nib, and it writes very well. Flow is good, never skips, and may be the most reliable of my pens. So why don't I keep it inked more?

It is heavy, and I dislike the way it weighs my front shirt pocket down. I'm not sure what the "posting" device is. I bought mine in 2004 maybe early 05, and the problem is that the cap doesn't post well, often falls off. Perhaps the newer ones addressed this issue?

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

Superb review! Very thorough. I too hope you'll do more.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

• 5 months later...

I just bought a Sensa Meridian, but didn't read this review until after I bought the pen. I don't have any difficulty using the pen unposted, but prefer to post my pens. It is a little on the heavy side. Not uncomfortably heavy, but heavier than I expencted. The only thing that I don't like about the construction is that the inside of the cap appears to be lined with nylon. Since the body's threads are metal, I'm a little concerned about inadvertently stripping the thread one day. Also, although it's not normally noticeable, I don't like the look of the white nylon inside the cap. I bought it with a fine nib. It writes nicely, but feels just a little scratchy to me. I haven't been writing with fountain pens long enough to be able to compare it to many other pens. My Levenger True Writer (fine nib) writes more smoothly, but the Sensa seems to have a finer line, so that may account for some of the difference.

I like the low key, but sophisticated look of this pen (I purchased the black/steel version) It's also a good pen to carry around when I don't want to attract attention to my writing implement. The plasmium grip (Sensa's name for it) is quite comfortable. I'm looking forward to writing a few pages with it to see how comfortable the pen feels with a longer writing project.

Edited by jonro

The "M" logo is actually a W, stands for Willat. This is the last name of the CEO of the company that manufactures the pen.

I have one of these pens and find it very easy to write with. I really understand what you mean by the pen being weighted heavier in back when posted. It is my only real gripe with the pen. Otherwise, it writes very well for a cheaper pen.

When I bought mine it was about $60, and I believe they have come down in price. I would say it is a great value. And the patented grip makes it very comfortable to write with.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this pen...can't wait for it to arrive - and I just pain 20 US $ for it on ebay for brand new. Thank you for the excellent review !

• 7 months later...

Thanks to acogbill's wonderfully detailed review, I am saved from providing any useful information and shall therefore ramble at some length about irrelevancies.

My Sensa Meridian Crystal Silver arrived from the Fountain Pen Hospital, where I bought it for sale price of $34.95 (List $75.00) + $6.00 shipping, which seems an incredible bargain for what appears to be a pen of excellent quality of materials, construction and design and at the time of writing is still available.

In the large cardboard box in which it was shipped was a white card sleeve over a sturdy black box with a pull-out drawer containing an Owner's Guide leaflet, pack of ink cartidges, printed note, a faintly aromatic black bean bag which - according to the guide - can be used to cover the eyes, rest the head, provide relaxation, wake you up afterwards and make fresh coffee*, and support the last item: the pen.

Here's a picture of shameful quality compared to so many photos I've seen on this forum (which is obviously populated by professional magazine photographers):

http://halplant.com:2001/images/photos/Sensa_Meridian_package.jpg

Having unpacked it and dealt with several distractions designed to test my limits of delayed gratification, I molested dismantled the pen, enjoying the comfortable weight and smooth feel of the finish, firmly inserted the piston ink reservoir and dipped the nib into the bottle of Parker Royal Blue Washable Quink with SOLV-X which I've had for more years than I care to calculate. Drawing a fill, releasing it fully then drawing again as has been my habit forever, I dabbed the excess off on a paper towel and prepared for the moment of judgement.

It writes!

...and does so very smoothly and comfortably. The fancy gel grip is comfy: both soft and supportive and for my hand the pen fits my hand with or without the cap on the end ["posted", as I've learned from you folks], though I prefer it on for the extra weight and smoothness. The ink flow is just right and the medium nib was smooth, without a hint of scratchiness, from the first.

I almost feel inclined to write something [irony indended].

*[i have inferred some detail from those given]

Current: ensso PIUMA (brass), TWSBI VAC 700, Monteverde Invincia Stealth, Sensa Meridian Crystal Silver, Parker 95
Previous: Pelican Epoch, Libelle Vortex Grey Swirl, Shaeffer Triumph Imperial Palladium, Parker 25
Ink: TWSBI Black, Parker Quink Black, Royal Blue Washable (with SOLV-X)

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently received a Sensa Meridian fountain pen that I purchased for $29.95 + $2.95 s/h from overstock.com. I am very happy with it.

DJG

• 4 months later...

Well I'm glad some people like this pen. I purchased one with a fine nib and have been having problems with ink flow (using Noodlers Midnight Blue) - skipping randomly and after a few sentences it seems to dry up so that each word becomes paler. The first few strokes seem to be alright. I suppose I write quite quickly and the Meridian just doesn't seem to keep up with me. Other folks appear to have had no problem with the medium nib.

My other annoyances are with the 'plasmium' grip and the weight of the pen. The grip does mould itself but I must be holding it too firmly because it just seems to squish in the wrong directions and I then have to change the position of my fingers. The weight is heavier than I expected and I have been getting tired muscles in my hand trying to write more than a few sentences with it. Sorry Sensa, I'm not a fan! (Also the balance of the pen does seem to tip backwards)

Sailor Professional Gear GT B Nib

Sailor Sapporo GT F Nib

Pelikan M1000 (black) B Nib

Bexley Simplicity bronze GT B nib

Pilot VP blue/GT B nib

Well I'm glad some people like this pen. I purchased one with a fine nib and have been having problems with ink flow (using Noodlers Midnight Blue) - skipping randomly and after a few sentences it seems to dry up so that each word becomes paler. The first few strokes seem to be alright. I suppose I write quite quickly and the Meridian just doesn't seem to keep up with me. Other folks appear to have had no problem with the medium nib.

My other annoyances are with the 'plasmium' grip and the weight of the pen. The grip does mould itself but I must be holding it too firmly because it just seems to squish in the wrong directions and I then have to change the position of my fingers. The weight is heavier than I expected and I have been getting tired muscles in my hand trying to write more than a few sentences with it. Sorry Sensa, I'm not a fan! (Also the balance of the pen does seem to tip backwards)

Did you clean the pen and converter before inking it? This was important with my Sensa as I had the same problem you described at first. There may be residual oils in the pen that interfere with ink flow. Just fill and expell some soapy warm water several times and then rinse thoroughly by filling and expelling plain warm water several times, then several times, then several more times. Stand the pen nib down in paper towels in a cup overnight to get out the most water you can. Then fill with ink normally and see if your problem is soleved.

Another possible factor is that Noodlers ink is rather dense insofar as Fountain Pen inks go. You might try another ink to see if it is improved. Alternatively, just a tiny bit of dishwashing soap (Joy, Palmolive, etc., ) on the tip of a toothpic touched to the inlet chamber of the converter will loosen things up.

If none of those things work, you might need to check the feed channels, nib split spacing, etc., which if you are unfamiliar would be best left to someone who has done this sort of thing before.

If you try these things and still don't like the way the pen performs (I also think it is rather heavy for extended writing so I avoid posting it), let me know. I have someone in mind I would like to give a Sensa Meridian to so I might be willing to buy it from you if you want to sell it.

Good luck and let us know if any of these suggestions helped!

Andy

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

Hey Andy thanks for the advice! I would like to try out your recommendations but I feel like I've fallen out with this pen over the weight and squishy grip and don't this minute feel like giving it some TLC. What I might do is flush it with water and leave it to stand overnight with a paper towel as you suggest. I would be willing to sell it!

Sailor Sapporo GT F Nib

Pilot VP blue/GT B nib

:headsmack: I've just realised that the postage from the UK to USA would put me off sending it to you Andy what a shame. However this means that I will definitely be trying your tips to improve the ink flow now. By soap do you mean bar soap (tallowate) or liquid detergent?

Sailor Sapporo GT F Nib

Pilot VP blue/GT B nib

:headsmack: I've just realised that the postage from the UK to USA would put me off sending it to you Andy what a shame. However this means that I will definitely be trying your tips to improve the ink flow now. By soap do you mean bar soap (tallowate) or liquid detergent?

Liquid Detergent

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a Sensa Meridian from an ebay pen seller - supposed to be brand new.

While the packaging & of course the pen did appear quite impressive, the first thing that caught my eye was that the clip had some brown discolouration. I tried rubbing gently with a jewel/spectacle cloth but it did not come off, so I brought it to a fountain pen shop to get the staffs' opinion. They told me that this discolouration is not dirt/grime/stain but gold plating that has come off to reveal the underlying metal/material.

Naturally I was shocked.

Here are some pictures of the brown discolouration on the clip :

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

I am not too experienced with fountain pens, just started using them actually, but I don't think gold plating comes off so easily. Am I correct about this?

How is it possible that the plating on a brand new pen can come off without anyone handling/using it?

Someone mentioned in one of the earlier posts about this pen that the cap tends to scratch the part of the pen where it is posted so that the gold gets lighter in colour. Is this the same phenomenon as what I am seeing on the cap clip?

Anyway, is there any means of restoring the plating or should I just send the pen back for an exchange - which would be costly since I don't live in the same country as the seller.

Any suggestion(s) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

IMG_0281.JPG