Omas Emotica

jandrese

Here I review the Omas Emotica. I purchased this pen at Tome Dom Plume at 68 bis, rue Saint Dominique in Paris near the Eiffel Tower while on honeymoon. The Emotica is a stylish and innovative pen that is also somewhat divisive; some people are fans while others are haters. The bifurcated clip flips out to form a pen stand. The vibrantly colored body is rubberized. The medium nib is titanium and semi-flexible. And (horror) it fills from a bottle using a converter or takes ink from a cartridge.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2507/4028799363_7f871b29e3_b.jpg

As you can see, I have the bright yellow version that is actually a rubber or rubber-like coating. The surface is smooth and somewhat soft. Some have complained that it will stain. Some have intimated that is less than durable. Omas disputes these claims. After a few weeks of use all I can say is that it seems durable, and that it gets dirty but does not appear to stain.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2731/4029553680_56b6f563f8_b.jpg

I’ve looked at these pens for quite some time but did not previously buy one because I found the nib too scratchy. There are those who feel that titanium should not be used to make nibs. Personally, I don’t care as long as the pen writes well. This particular pen has a wonderful nib. It is smooth but not glassy as there is a subtle amount of feedback. Not tooth like an Aurora nib but a fine tactile sensation different from a gold/”iridium” or steel/”iridium” nib.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2633/4028800217_73abe7d9d0_b.jpg

The nib is a true semi-flex nib but you should be careful! Just touching the nib to paper unleashes a torrent of ink. It does not come out in a blob but the feed supplies so much ink it seems like the cartridge is pressurized. While potentially problematic this allows generous ink flow at maximum flex so the nib never runs dry. On the right paper, with a very light touch, and with the right ink the line is a true medium. A little pressure to spread the tines and a triple broad line suddenly appears. For a fine line it is possible to write with the nib upside down. This is a remarkable nib.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2751/4029554022_770030d278_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2789/4029553844_7840400cbc_b.jpg

Free flowing inks like Noodler’s V-mail Rabaul Red are a very poor choice in this pen. Better is Pilot’s excellent Iroshizuku ink Fuyu-gaki, which is a bright orange-red color with near ideal flow properties. Besides choosing ink wisely, I cut the ball bearing out of a Platinum ink cartridge and put it into the Emoticas converter. This combined with the ink change has tamed the massive ink flow somewhat. It is now possible to write on Moleskine if not newsprint.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2473/4029553756_f4d71a9e7b_b.jpg

A large and solid feeling pen the balance is perfect when not capped. The neat-o cap is way too heavy to post. The grip section is generously proportioned and slightly textured for a comfortable, secure grip. The cap snaps on with an audible click that is almost a thud reaffirming to the user that the construction quality on this pen is very high. For what it is worth I much prefer the rubber-coated version of this pen. Although the all-plastic models are brightly colored I think the plastic looks cheap and the grip sections are shiny and perhaps slippery metal.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2614/4029553542_334ff79f64_b.jpg

In summary, this is a pen that magically combines old and new. It is a normally functioning fountain pen fitted with a titanium nib that is throwback semi-flexible. It has an ebonite feed, but the body is rubber coated. The clip is a work of functional art. The stylish combination of old and new technology is both classic and forward-looking, and only an Italian company could have pulled it off. I think it is a great addition to any collection.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2690/4029553458_f0db254778_b.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• goodguy

• lecorbusier

• dandelion

I have read a lot of good things on this pen. But had I to buy a titanium fountain pen, I would go for an older Omas milord Paragon t2 in titanium grade 5.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Great review of this great pen, jandrese....

I bought a black one about 2 months ago and really like it a lot. As you say, it's a very smooth writer and fun to write with and the pen/rubber coating feels good in the hand.

Definitely a great pen and unique design.

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Thanks for another inspiring review. This one with its great photos is definitely creating a want. The clip is extraordinary and I'm very curious about the titanium nib. I've had thoughts about the Emotica earlier and this review certainly made them resurface. The combination of shape, design and function and new and old touches one of my super soft spots. It certainly make it to my top 5 want-to-try-list.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Got the chance to try this pen at the TPS and I must agree the nib is amazing.

If this pen had a resin section and a piston filler I would probably own it already.

Respect to all

Congrats! First the Bologna and then the Emotica! This has been a true OMAS week. You may be interested to join the Omas Society for free. There are also nice freebies involved too...:)

Two points of note:

1. I have an Emotica as well in black and I found out that the rubber does turn sticky after a while. Mine has seen rain and shine (especially the latter) and I understand it does not stand very well under UV rays. The top of O cap is already chipping. Something you may like to keep in mind if you work in a UV intense place.

2. The engraving on the Ti nib is slowly fading away...I understand that Ti does oxidize and it looks like the oxide is covering these engravings so they are no longer so salient and deep-etched. Interesting isn't it?

Just a curious question: what's the specialization in your Ph.D.?

Jeff

AAA

I have a blue version of that pen. I agree with your take on its nib. It is on the flexible side, which fits with my liking. What would you think about its grip section? The rubberized Emotica's grip section looks slightly texturized compared to the non-rubberized ones. After writing with it for, say, 15 minutes or so, do you still find its grip section not too slippery?

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I have a blue version of that pen. I agree with your take on its nib. It is on the flexible side, which fits with my liking. What would you think about its grip section? The rubberized Emotica's grip section looks slightly texturized compared to the non-rubberized ones. After writing with it for, say, 15 minutes or so, do you still find its grip section not too slippery?

The grip section is textured, and there is no slipping at all. Very good metal section.

So that's what the ball bearing is for... Good to know. I thought it was just to keep the ink from settling out.

I like the clip. Although I'm not sure what it reminds me of more -- my golf bag or a machine gun stand.