Montblanc 221 - review

goodguy

Bought this pen few months ago and I was very disapointed.

The pen was a fire hose. It spewed ink all over the place and was not in a writing condition but the nib was very smooth and I knew it was well worth the wait.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC01134.jpg

So I sent the pen to the one and only Sean Gosse (SMG)or as I like calling him my Pen God LOL and he turned this frog into a price.

As I expected the nib needed a lot of work but now this pen is magic.

Such a simple designbut yet very elegant.

Its not the piston model but rather the CC filler.

Yes I am not a fan of CC fillers but heck for the price of less then 100$ and such an awsom writer I will take it even as a CC filler.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC01139.jpg

The pen is very light weight and very well balanced.

It does feel a bit fragile compared to more modern MB pens.

It has a little ink view window and a snow flake star on both ends of the pen.

For the best of my knowlage it was made sometimes in the 70's.

The nib on this pen is a total WOW!!!

Its smooth with a perfect flow but thats not the special part, this nib is VERY flexible for a rather modern pen.

I would rate it as 60% flexible compared to a 1920's wet noodle so its more then a semi flex nib and the amount of feedback on this nib is AWSOM!!!

I think this is my favorite MB nib and only a head to head will tell me if I like it better then my Paragon nib.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC01144.jpg

Conclusion

This pen was not design to look stunning or overly attractive.

Its simple and clean design may turn a nonMB lover into a a new believer.

Its very comfortable and easy to use with its perfect balance and light weight and the nib, oh this nib will turn the grayest of days into a sunny springy one.

Respect to all

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fhhcpen

• goodguy

• sexauerw

• basterma

Gotta agree that the 2xx pens are nice and the 1xx were even nicer. The nibs of the period really are fantastic.

Gotta agree that the 2xx pens are nice and the 1xx were even nicer. The nibs of the period really are fantastic.

I wish MB would offer more flex with their nibs with their new pens.

Respect to all

• 1 month later...

Love those pens because the understated design does not look like a MB at the first sight. The nibs are very pleasing and the pens are great everyday user pens.

I do have a Meisterstück 121 with a F/M nib that is one of my everyday office pens and a 220 with a wonderful OB nib. Unfortunately a medium nib works better at the office so this great OB nib has to stay at home.

Got to agree with you that this nib is a beauty. I used to have one given to me by my wife which I do not know where it is now. It is a piston model and in perfect condition. Looking at your picts reminded me of it.

I wish MB is still making these more flexible nibs instead of the hard rock ones they have nowadays.

Enjoy it.

I want to get one of the brushed-finish 22x'es - I really love how they look.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

So I sent the pen to the one and only Sean Gosse (SMG)or as I like calling him my Pen God LOL and he turned this frog into a price.

:D

• 2 years later...

I just bought an 80s 221 and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival in the mail.

After reading your review, I'm even more exited!

Mike

I just bought an 80s 221 and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival in the mail.

After reading your review, I'm even more exited!

Mike

Enjoy your new pen and please let us know how you like it.

Respect to all

• 2 weeks later...

I have one with an identical grip section. It has a crack originating from the apex of the notch. It leaks. Has any one sen this on their pen?

I have one with an identical grip section. It has a crack originating from the apex of the notch. It leaks. Has any one sen this on their pen?

No I got mine recently and nothing like that happen...I guess you will need to send it to a pen guy specialized in vintage MB. You can browse around the forums I remember having seen the name of the person somewhere...

I picked up a 221 a while back. Mine is a piston-filler model and it has a glass-smooth OBB nib. Not a lot of line variation, you wouldn't mistake it for an italic, but the variation is noticable and nice. Very wet and with that width it doesn't get much mileage per fill. Doesn't matter though, the color it leaves on the page makes it all worthwhile.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

If you can't find one from searching, why not start a post asking in MB forum?

Once I get pictures, I will post under the Mont Blanc forum.

I picked up a 221 a while back. Mine is a piston-filler model and it has a glass-smooth OBB nib. Not a lot of line variation, you wouldn't mistake it for an italic, but the variation is noticable and nice. Very wet and with that width it doesn't get much mileage per fill. Doesn't matter though, the color it leaves on the page makes it all worthwhile.

Congrats, OBB quite hard to come by! Mine is like a OF, it take some getting used to. And I agree while mine is not a flex it runs glass smooth.

I'll put my OBB 221 in line to be inked when I get home from vacation. I'll post something then. Do you have a color you would like to see? I have mostly blue and black inks. Here are some of the inks that I have:

Blacks:

Aurora, Conway-Stewart, Delta, Montblanc, Sheaffer Skrip (this one bleeds and feathers), and Visconti

Blues:

Conway-Stewart Blue, Pelikan Royal Blue, Pilot Blue, Pilot Ultra-Marine, Iroshizuki Asa-Gao, Iroshizuki Kon-Peki, Levenger Skies of Blue, Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire, Sailor Jentle Blue, Swisher North Sea Blue, Visconti Blue

Others:

Conway-Stewart Turquoise, Sheaffer Emerald Green, Sheaffer Peacock Blue, Sheaffer Washable Purple, Visconti Turquoise

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006