Alfred Dunhill Ad2000 Silver

hari317

Introduction:

A recent discussion in the writing instruments area about Dunhill fountain pens got me interested and curious about this brand, I did a quick ebay search to find that the AD2000 silver plate is available quite easily at attractive prices whereas its siblings with fancier materials go for much more, some quick email correspondence with a dealer led to the arrival of this pen at my door last week.

First impressions:

The pen comes packed in a nice gift box, the outer box holds the pen case, the instruction manual, a magnetic strip based guarantee card and a box of Dunhill branded Pilot cartridges. The inner box holds the pen securely with high density foam inserts. Overall very practically packed with a feeling of luxury, the quality of packing materials used is very high and gives a nice feel.

The pen:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/AD2000/IMG_3333.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/AD2000/IMG_3334.jpg

It is an oversized pen at 6 inches closed and 6-1/4 inches posted. The fit and finish is superb. The surface finish is a subtle brushed finish which is partly gloss and partly matte. The cap screws on and off very silently and very smooth despite metal on metal threads, It posts surpisingly well and leaves no scratches on the barrel.

Writing performance:

The business end of this pen is made by Pilot in Japan with Dunhill branding.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/AD2000/IMG_3336.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/AD2000/IMG_3337.jpg

The 18k white gold nib and feeder are identical to the yellow gold Pilot size 10 units found on the Custom 742. The only difference is in the shape of the breather hole which is heart shaped here. The writing performance is typical Pilot, writes consistently well, very satisfied.

Filling system:

It uses the Pilot converter and carts system. The included converter is a rebranded Pilot Con70 with a fancier plunger button and a black finish. This system with Con70 is probably the best converter around. I used one of the included carts for the first fill.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/AD2000/IMG_3335.jpg

Ergonomics:

I had expected that the sudden step in diameter between the barrel and the section would bother me, but I am surprised that it does not. The pen is perfectly balanced when posted and the writing is effortless. Most of the mass of the pen is in the metal threads connector at the section-barrel interface which makes the pen well balanced when posted

The clip:

The clip is the higlight of this pen for me. It has a novel manual retractable clip which allows you to secure the pen when clipped to your pocket. Just clip the pen on and rotate the knob at the top of the cap to lower the clip, thus securing the pen to the fabric of the pocket.

Raised:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/AD2000/IMG_3338.jpg

Lowered:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/AD2000/IMG_3339.jpg

The nicely spring loaded clip with amazing compliance:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/AD2000/IMG_3340.jpg

Cost: I paid 150USD in total which included express shipping, a very nice value considering that it is tough to buy a Pilot 742 with the same nib at this price.

Overall a very good pen, writing part is Pilot so rock solid performance with the nice modern design of the body and clip by Dunhill.

Cheers,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Soulmaker1

• gregamckinney

• HDoug

Nice review, I'm waiting for mine in the mail and looking forward to using it!! :)

MB 149 YWC, MB Doue BP, Parker Sterling Silver Cisele BP & RB

I have the identical pen with the same nib and absolutely love it!!! What a great bang for your bucks this one is. Your photos are wonderful and so it the review. This is one of those sub-$200 that I highly recommend. Thanks for the review and photos.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Any comparison photos with a MB149?

Adrian

Adrian

Very nice pen. I enjoy your photos.

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

Adrian

Here you go- a couple quick pics.

http://gergyor.com/images/ad2000-v-149.jpg

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Adrian

Here you go- a couple quick pics.

http://gergyor.com/images/ad2000-v-149.jpg

greg

Thank you!!!!!

Thank you all for your kind comments and thanks Greg for posting the comparison pictures with a 149. Greg, I am curious about the nib on your 149, was it re-tipped?

Regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I have an ad 2000 longitude and I must say this ad 2000 is one of the very best pens ever made by DUNHILL.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thank you all for your kind comments and thanks Greg for posting the comparison pictures with a 149. Greg, I am curious about the nib on your 149, was it re-tipped?

Regards,

Hari

Hi Hari,

Yes, it was. The original nib lost 1/2 of its tipping, so I sent it off to Greg Minuskin for a retip/grind to a stub.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

• 5 months later...

I enjoyed this review very much. I appreciate your comments and I'm pleased to discover the nib is made by Namiki.

Nice review and very nice looking pen, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

I have a Dunhill Sidecar and a Dunhill Sentryman and they are the pens I favor most in my collection. Congrats and Thanks for the review.

• 10 years later...

Lovely pen. How is the silver plate holding up? Is the patina nice or needs polishing? Any idea if the trim are plated or solid silver? Thanks

It's all plated, no solid silver on my pen. The pen has held up very well, no storage patina. I will post a pic later this week if you are interested to see how it looks after these many years.