R. Binder's Italifine, Pilot Vp

escribo

Italifine nib unit, by Richard Binder, in a Pilot Vanishing Point.

I apologize for the quality of this scan. I don't know if the problem lies with the scanner or a loose nut at the keyboard (ID 10T error).

On paper the thin lines are very thin. This scan fails to show that very well, but it does sort of show the amazing contrast between thin & thick lines. I call this a great upgrade to this fine pen!

http://cid-88309fdeb083a2ce.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Misc/vp-italifine2.jpg

Hmmm... That went well. :P

I posted the image as a link, but no-go. :(

Try this then (sorry for the external link).

Edited by escribo

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• escribo

• tnmike1

• ebird732

• cl0123

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool, Latin scholar! The nib really puts out an interesting and attractive line. Much more distinct than a stub. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by PatientType

Very interesting indeed! I have a small handful of nibs being serviced in Richard's shop to become cursive italics, perhaps it's time to look carefully if I should just pick up another italics-fine nib to add to the order. Thanks again for the review.

With Aloha,

Clarence

Original image from escribo

http://q6hnua.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pszjhOHLp9lj9j5ho2EGkXmvmsuEv0YtWhbUqjriso_JUt5Rf5_0348kIHNTBnErwU9IxsGhhIOyQMGn5Tv_W3g/vp-italifine2.jpg

You're very welcome. Just curious about the "upside down" part. How "scratchy" is it to write with the nib upside down? Or, if the right-side up is 100% smooth, what is your guesstimate, in terms of percentage, of the smoothness of the upside down nib? Would you say the upside-down nib is only 25% as smooth, or 80% as smooth? Curious mind want to know.

With Aloha,

Clarence

Hey thanks, Clarence. :)

Best Regards,

-Jon

You're very welcome. Just curious about the "upside down" part. How "scratchy" is it to write with the nib upside down? Or, if the right-side up is 100% smooth, what is your guesstimate, in terms of percentage, of the smoothness of the upside down nib? Would you say the upside-down nib is only 25% as smooth, or 80% as smooth? Curious mind want to know.

With Aloha,

Clarence

Not scratchy at all. Normally, writing with the back side of a nib is scratchy, but this is where Mr. Binder has worked wonders. Writing with the back of this nib is just as smooth as if it were intended to be done that way. Other than looking a little goofy, if I weren't looking at the feed instead of the back of the nib when writing, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Numerically, I would say very very near or at 100%.

With Aloha,

Clarence

Not scratchy at all. Normally, writing with the back side of a nib is scratchy, but this is where Mr. Binder has worked wonders. Writing with the back of this nib is just as smooth as if it were intended to be done that way. Other than looking a little goofy, if I weren't looking at the feed instead of the back of the nib when writing, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Numerically, I would say very very near or at 100%.

Agreed--there's no difference up or down, except for the width of the line. (Unlike writing upside down with a regular nib, this one has the top side shaped and polished in the same was as the bottom, and the flow is generous enough to support writing that way.)

was wondering if I should order one of these along with a duopoint for my Pelikans. You've made my mind up for me. THanks for the review.

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

Great sample. Can you tell me the size of the nib on italic side? Is it 0.9 or 0.7mm?

Btw, is the nib still smooth when writing at different angles?

Great sample. Can you tell me the size of the nib on italic side? Is it 0.9 or 0.7mm?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it was the .9mm that I ordered. I'll check when I get home.

If it's not the .9mm I'll let you know. Otherwise, if you don't hear back, then yes, it's the .9mm.

Btw, is the nib still smooth when writing at different angles?

I'm not sure how you mean? When I'm using the italic side I have the pen angled like 30° off of perpendicular to the line I'm writing like they show you in the calligraphy books. But, although this nib is still new to me, I haven't happened upon any circumstance where it's not smooth.

Hope that helps

Edited by escribo

Thank you. I was asking about the angle at which you hold your pen because someone in this forum said italifine nibs have a smaller sweet spot than normal nibs. And as for me, I write at 45 degrees but usually change depending on the positions of my arms and paper.

I find this "angle of pen" sometimes frustrating. With both the Lamy nibs and the Binder 9mm cursive, I find Ihave to be quite careful about the angle of writing. No big deal, but there is a smaller "window' of correctness with these nibs than with a normal "F" or "M" nib

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

Oh I see now. I hold the pen at a fairly low angle vis-a-vis the paper. The pen rests on my middle finger and is nestled into the web between my hand & thumb.

Richard Binder has a write-up tutorial (parts 1, 2, & 3) somewhere on his site about nibs. There are three figures in there showing a hand writing at three different writing angles. The third one is the way I write. Appears to be 35° - 45°.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I just not tried a high writing angle, where the barrel of the pen is against where my index finger joins my hand. Roughly 60°? The nib does not seem to write as smoothly, but is still plenty smooth. Someone mentioned writing with butter on teflon in another thread. That describes the feeling when I write at my normal angle. At a high angle it's maybe like writing with ink on teflon, LOL. Not as smooth, but not bothersome at all.

I'm guessing Mr. Binder needs to account for different writing angles.

Edited by escribo