Diamine Midnight

Jared

Diamine introduced at the recent DC Pen Show, a new test color--Midnight.

This is a true dark blue, with wonderful qualities. Great flow, no feathering or bleed-through.

I have long wished for a true dark blue, similar to the elusive ST Dupont Blue Black. I would love to see this compared to that discontinued color (hint, hint, girlieg33k--I'd send you a sample).

post-4426-1251073620_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo, for those of you who prefer a photograph over a scan.

post-4426-1251073627_thumb.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jared

• Hennypenny

• gylyf

• jde

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd heard tell that Diamine was going to try to replicate the color of Dupont BB. I'm guessing this is the result? Regardless, this is a great color and precisely the kind of BB I've been looking for.

David

Jared,

Thanks for the scans!

It's a BB I'd like to have.

--Julie

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Lately I've gotten more into deep, dark blues, a la PR Midnight Blue. And this seems like a fantastic one. Can't wait to give it a try!

It looks delicious to the eyes! What kind of paper was that test done on?

That is a great color! I've been looking for something like that; I actually just ordered a bottle of Majestic Blue yesterday. I'll see how that compares to this wonderful color.

-Michael

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Douglas Adams

What is the dry time?

This was a wet nib, on slick Clairefontaine paper, so I'm not sure that my sampling of the drying time would have been representative of what others would experience. I found that it dried about the same as other similar Diamine inks--about 10-30 seconds, depending on the nib.

Edited by Jared

Lately I've gotten more into deep, dark blues, a la PR Midnight Blue. And this seems like a fantastic one. Can't wait to give it a try!

From a review of my collection of ink samples, which was greatly increased as a result of a visit to the DC Pen Show Ink Testing Table, this color is most similar to PR Midnight Blue, but dries much quicker and has some shading.

That is a great color! I've been looking for something like that; I actually just ordered a bottle of Majestic Blue yesterday. I'll see how that compares to this wonderful color.

-Michael

Diamine Majestic Blue appears to be a slightly lighter blue with some faint reddish highlights when dry, similar to DC Electric Blue.

Edited by Jared

I got a give-away bottle of this at the DC Pen Show - and I LOVE it! I'm not a "blue ink" person, but this is a nice, every day blue with loads of personality. I'd buy a bottle of this, so I hope Diamine adds this to their lineup. HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

Looks like Noodler's Midnight blue but without it's green tone... Very nice!

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

I got a give-away bottle of this at the DC Pen Show - and I LOVE it! I'm not a "blue ink" person, but this is a nice, every day blue with loads of personality. I'd buy a bottle of this, so I hope Diamine adds this to their lineup. HP

Hello Hennypenny

Midnight has just been added to the New Century range.

Regards

Phil

That looks like a great blue. I'd like to see a comparison to PR Midnight Blue and PR Black Magic Blue.

I have sampled both in my ink book, and find that Diamine Midnight is most similar in color to PR Midnight Blue, but it dries faster and has some shading. PR Black Magic Blue appears to have a purple tint, where Diamine Midnight is a true dark blue.

What is the dry time?

This was a wet nib, on slick Clairefontaine paper, so I'm not sure that my sampling of the drying time would have been representative of what others would experience. I found that it dried about the same as other similar Diamine inks--about 10-30 seconds, depending on the nib.

Tried it in a different pen & paper--drying time was 3-5 seconds with an XF nib.

Has anyone compared this shade to Majestic Blue by Diamine? Would love to see a side by side comparison.