Rotring ALTRO (Fine Point)

r1chard

Here's a quick review.

Buy it! :thumbup:

I like the ribbed barrel. I don't hate the metal clip. Ink flow is very good. Fine point is fine.

It reminds me of ArtPens, without the tail. I hope they have a calligraphy version of it.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2776/sdc15032.jpg

On the left side of the nib etched 'rotring', on the right side the nib size 'F'.

On the cap etched the words 'altro' and 'rotring', on the back of it, 'W. Germany'

I like the black, and the white. More the black. Inside the barrel you can put an extra cartridge.

I like that it doesn't look expensive nor unusual, but it's interesting enough.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1167/sdc15034.jpg

*this is my very first fountain pen review :headsmack:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2666/sdc15029.jpg

Edited by r1chard

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• r1chard

• Viseguy

• andy1m

• Philips

Nice looking pen and something different as well. I can imagine that it's comfortable to write with having the ribbed grip section.

It looks like a refreshing alternative to a Safari for an everyday working pen too :)

Edited by Philips

Some more photos.. I can't seem to edit the first post. :headsmack:

Also available in blister pack

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/9057/altroblisterpack.jpg

And a better photo :notworthy1:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_y-lvkFCEo-I/Spdp3MvFhUI/AAAAAAAAAZQ/gjUL22WKnXA/s400/noodles-1.jpg

It comes with.. *drum roll please*.. the usual cartridge with blue ink :headsmack:

I haven't tried it with a converter yet.

my understanding is that Rotring uses universal size cartridge.

I also think a waterman converter will fit in

since I once ordered an genuine Rotring converter from eBay

and the seller sent me a Waterman converter. :roflmho:

The converters look more or less the same.

The seller sent me the right one and asked me to keep the first one.

I forgot that I need an ink :headsmack: that's why I have not tried it.

You can find Rotring Altro FP from eBay seller streetfair (am a big fan :thumbup: does it count as an affiliation?)

He also sells converter and is very helpful when asked for a suggestion/advice.

Looked really nice. Especially the clip, very special. The design also vey simple. Must get a few myself :)

Thanks for sharing. Nice pictures also!

• 2 years later...

My wife just brought me a white M variant of the same pen from her folks home. It was without box or anything but in pristine condition with the original cartridge left in it empty and dried. The pen was abandoned for ages it seems but looks like its out of the store. Anyway I took no time and put in a pelikan cartridge and it took me a few jerks and it started working immediately...smooth with a very very minor tooth to it if one could say less than a vector but more than a sonnet :P

Ink flow is very very balanced like there's something magically controlling it regardless of one's writing stroke. My sonnet or vector is a wet writer comparatively and both of them are not consistent in dropping ink but I find that beautiful personally as it gives variation of color to each letter. This is a no frills daily worker for writing down the boss's instructions and would equally go well with neat freaks who like consistency in every line they write.

I would be happy if someone could tell me how does one clean these pens?

The metal version of these is known as the Rotring 900. They can be cleaned using a converter to perform flushing. If you cannot find a Rotring 251300 converter, an international-sized one should work.

There is a tide in the affairs of men.

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune.

-- Marcus Junius Brutus

I used to have one with a ball point instead of a nib. It was leaking non-stop. I didn't know there was a model with a nib, though.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

I used to have a version of the pen based on their Stylographic pens with a bulb tip. Centered in the bulb was a hole with a tiny weighted valve that released ink when pressed. It was a great little pen that wrote with a lovely beading of ink. It got stolen from luggage years ago.

• 1 year later...

My wife just brought me a white M variant of the same pen from her folks home. It was without box or anything but in pristine condition with the original cartridge left in it empty and dried. The pen was abandoned for ages it seems but looks like its out of the store. Anyway I took no time and put in a pelikan cartridge and it took me a few jerks and it started working immediately...smooth with a very very minor tooth to it if one could say less than a vector but more than a sonnet :P

Ink flow is very very balanced like there's something magically controlling it regardless of one's writing stroke. My sonnet or vector is a wet writer comparatively and both of them are not consistent in dropping ink but I find that beautiful personally as it gives variation of color to each letter. This is a no frills daily worker for writing down the boss's instructions and would equally go well with neat freaks who like consistency in every line they write.

I would be happy if someone could tell me how does one clean these pens?

Hi

I obtained a few spare nibs and nib units for my Altro /Rive/Rivette pens (all interchangeable) from Paker when they took over Rotring. One of the the nib unit containers has a lid that can be used to unscrew the first generation flatter nib. If gripped carefully, it is possible to unscrew the nib unit without this and rinse. The nib also pulls out reasonably easily.

These are some of my favourite pens, although I have modified one of my Rive pens (on a lathe) to remove the large section lump. Such a shame to lose This fine company's range of pens.

K

Great first review, thanks!

I miss Rotrings, very much.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809