Pilot Blue

HenryLouis

Probably one of the most well behaved inks I own.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_3048.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_3051.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_3049.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_3052.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HenryLouis

• mstone

• Inka

• KenS

Perfect timing, Henry!

Since getting my VP and 3 ink cartridges, 1 Pilot Blue & 2 Pilot Black, I was wondering what it would look like.

When I searched the Pilot ink reviews, I think the ones I'd found were the bottled inks and not the cartridge inks.

Thanks, right on time, since when the Noodler's Habanero runs out I was planning to try one of the Pilot inks in the VP.

B)

P.S.,

Is this Pilot Blue in a cartridge, or from a bottle?

Or do you happen to know if they're the same ink regardless?

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Perfect timing, Henry!

Since getting my VP and 3 ink cartridges, 1 Pilot Blue & 2 Pilot Black, I was wondering what it would look like.

When I searched the Pilot ink reviews, I think the ones I'd found were the bottled inks and not the cartridge inks.

Thanks, right on time, since when the Noodler's Habanero runs out I was planning to try one of the Pilot inks in the VP.

B)

P.S.,

From what I know they're the same ink. It's from a Cartridge, actually. I ordered a pack of 12 just incase I need to go flying and I don't want to fill up a converter.

What I don't know is if these two bottles have the same inks: (pics from jetpens and nibs.com)

http://www.jetpens.com/images/pilot_ink-70-l.jpg

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Namiki%20website%20pics/NamikiInkBlueBottle.JPG

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Perfect timing, Henry!

B)

P.S.,

That looks like it's from the cartridge, I believe. And I think it's the same ink regardless, but I'm not sure.

Also, thanks Henry-I'm taking a few cartridges on vacation with me tomorrow, since I'd rather not carry around a bottle of ink. Thanks for the review.

In cartridges or bottles, with the Pilot or Namiki label, it's the same ink (the Namiki price buys a cool-looking bottle with an internal dipping well), unless the carts are old enough to have lost some water and made the ink a tiny bit darker.

This ink is not "saturated," so fans of saturation might not like the color, but there are blue inks that look more washed-out than this one. It is bright and legible.

Nice review, Henry.

I like your VP, too. ;D

If Pilot Blue was in a crayon box, I would discern that it (to me) looks like a soft cornflower blue. o:

Lachesis

This ink offers very good water-resistance.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I like Pilot Blue a lot, it is a "real" blue without any fancy other colour touches. And it behaves very nicely, even in my Moleskine notebooks.

Hmm, maybe I should make a "blue" ink comparison, I have quite a pile here since I am still on my quest for my holy grail blue (think I have at least ten to fifteen different ones now...)

I like the way the Pilot blue ink flows, but I hate the color itself. It's too pale for me. I wish it was the same color as found in the Pilot Varsity fountain pens that are disposable. Are those fountain pen inks by the way? Or are they rollerball or some other type of ink? Also, the Pilot blue ink I think is a bit too wet or something because whenever I extend my Vanishing Point nib, that slight jerking action causes ink to splash onto the nib and paper.

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

I'm happy to hear that Pilot and Namiki ink are one in the same. I have been using the Namiki blue ink lately and like it. I also seem to remember that Pilot ink can be found more cheaply.

Ken

Edited by KenS

• 1 month later...

I know this post is a month old but I'd like some answers, so here goes to my questions:

Heya Henry!

By any chance did you ever discover how to tell what bottle-style you'll get when ordering this ink?

The one in your pic with the box is OK, kinda reminds me of an old steam locomotive kerosene signal lantern in shape & I like the wide glass pedestal base too.

The one I really like is the bottom pic bottle, rather squat-looking glass that just "grabs" me more than the other for some reason, would make a nice inkwell for other inks with the label removed.

Also, FPN member Goodwhiskers had mentioned the "cool-looking bottle with an internal dipping well".

So, Henry, have you purchased either or both bottles of this or other Pilot/Namiki inks?

If so, do they have dip-wells inside and are they raised plastic wells like on Levenger bottled inks or is it a well at the base of the glass bottles to get to the very last drops of ink?

Thanks, in advance, even if you don't have the answers in which I am seeking!

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

nice review henry, looks a bit washed out though...

Yeah, that's its problem. It's a wonderfully behaved ink, it has water resistance, it would be almost perfect except that it's ridiculously low contrast--to the point that when I look at a page of it I find myself blinking and wondering if my eyes are going. Ah, well.

by the way this ink turns a bit brighter after you let it sit in the pen for a while... For some reason. It's not PR american blue saturated, but more noticeably saturated after a few days compared to a few hours after filling...

by the way this ink turns a bit brighter after you let it sit in the pen for a while... For some reason.

In the VP? Most lighter inks (in my experience) will do so in that pen.

By any chance did you ever discover how to tell what bottle-style you'll get when ordering this ink?

Depends on which brand you purchase. Buy it as Pilot and you will get the Pilot packaging. Buy it as Namiki and you will get the Namiki packaging. Like you, I prefer the look of the Namiki bottle. The internal plastic well insert also makes it easier to get the last bit of ink out of the bottle when it's almost empty.

• 1 year later...