Winedoc's Inks

OldGriz

I got my ink from Kev today... very interesting colors...

I loaded two identical Sheaffer JR pens with F nibs....

The inks are produced by De Atramentis and the colors are Kupferbraun (Copper Brown) and Ockergelb (OcherYellow)...

The ocheryellow is pretty true to it's name as you can see in the writing sample...

The copper brown on the other hand is nothing like I expected... it definately has a distinct burgundy background to the brown when wet, but it does dry to more of a brown color, but still with that burgundy hint... this might be the ink that is going to replace Pelikan Brown in my Copper Legacy

Both inks flowed nice and wet out and seem to have a nice degree of darkness to them.. definately not a washed out color in either one.

The colors on my monitor are pretty much dead on... I photographed these inks because they did not scan to the proper color for some reason...

Ok enough blabbing... here is the picture...

Edited by OldGriz

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• winedoc

• OldGriz

• Dudley

• Roger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Certainly not washed out colors. Glad you have better use of these ink then I do... now, only if they would allow me to do the charting with that Orchard Gold. :lol:

Kev

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

oo very pretty indeed, I will post samples of What i got from Kevin later today too hopefully.

**as you can tell, with the lack of sleep and final exam. my grammar is turd.

Out of thin air, quote of the moment (6/1/06): "boredom leads to creativity, as compulsion leads to innovation"

-Name your kids dudley, cause the name is feeling a little deprived =P

Mmmmm..... that burgundy and the colour variation really reminds me of metallic copper. Very very beautiful inks.

ooh, purdy!

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Finally, a picture of Tannengrun. Its a beautiful green. It looks alot like the US Army Green, but a little more vivid. And when diluted, it's a nice jade-y green.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g265/Dudleykun/Tannengrun.jpg

**EDIT: now. looking at the picture and the actual writing. The actual color is a little more yellow than shown here. Just a pinch. You can tell because the lines are supposed to be a little pinker (Rhodia).

Edited by Dudley

Out of thin air, quote of the moment (6/1/06): "boredom leads to creativity, as compulsion leads to innovation"

-Name your kids dudley, cause the name is feeling a little deprived =P

Thanks, Tom B) ! The Kupferbraun looks brighter and more coppery than (Slovenian) Sheaffer Skrip Brown.

Thanks for the Tannengruen photo, too, Dudley.

Below is a comparison of the De Atramentis Aubergine I bought from Kevin to J. Herbin's Poussiere De Lune. Both samples were done with a glass dip pen on Clairefontaine paper.

Aubergine is more intense and would seem to have more black to it. It also feathered more than both Poussiere De Lune and Levenger Amethyst in other tests with the same pen. Oddly Aubergine did not flow as smoothly with the dip pen as the other inks.

That said, I really like the color. It does have the deep purple of the eggplant and is like nothing else I own. It isn't an ink I would use for everyday but it is one to use when I want to make a strong yet unique statement.

I have yet to try it in a fountain pen as I do not currently have one that suits it. I reckon that means I'll have to go shopping for the right pen (something black with an XF nib) so it is about to become a very expensive ink. ;)

post-35-1149843361_thumb.jpg

Edited by Margana

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Below is a comparison of the De Atramentis Aubergine I bought from Kevin to J. Herbin's Poussiere De Lune. Both samples were done with a glass dip pen on Clairefontaine paper.

Aubergine is more intense and would seem to have more black to it. It also feathered more than both Poussiere De Lune and Levenger Amethyst in other tests with the same pen. Oddly Aubergine did not flow as smoothly with the dip pen as the other inks.

That said, I really like the color. It does have the deep purple of the eggplant and is like nothing else I own. It isn't an ink I would use everyday but it is one to use when I want to make a strong yet unique statement.

I have yet to try it in a fountain pen as I do not currently have one that suits it. I reckon that means I'll have to go shopping for the right pen (something black with an XF nib) so it is about to become a very expensive ink.  ;)

I've bought the De Atramentis Aubergine at a local shop here in Germany some weeks ago, and I second your impressions about it.

I've filled it into an Aurora Optima 'Sole' (complementary colours!) and a Pelikan M620 Madrid, and it works well in both. I thought I'd have now a new favourite ink, but the feathering prevents it from general use, as good paper is a must.

It even has some water-resistant part, as some shallow grey writing remains well readable on soaked paper.

It's a pity there is no other real Aubergine coloured ink on the market. Noodler's Nightshade is just a dark brown on paper.

Actually, it is good you compared it to J. Herbin's 'Poussiere de Lune', because a somewhat dried load of 'Poussiere de Lune' comes near to 'Aubergine'. I've got a Cross ATX fp which has a not perfectly sealing cap filled with 'Poussiere de Lune'. As it dried off a part of the water content it looked similar to 'Aubergine' on paper.

Edited by saintsimon

Well,

They are very nice looking inks.Not washed out,thats good news.I hate washed out inks.Hmmm,I need some : )

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

I thought I'd have now a new favourite ink, but the feathering prevents it from general use, as good paper is a must.

Do you (or someone else) know whether this is true for all De Atramentis inks?

Thanks in advance. Bye.

I thought I'd have now a new favourite ink, but the feathering prevents it from general use, as good paper is a must.

Do you (or someone else) know whether this is true for all De Atramentis inks?

Thanks in advance. Bye.

I use their Nachschwartz (night black) in my wet Omas, and does not feather even on cheap papers.

Kev

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Tom,

I picked up a bottle of Red-Black Noodler's from the pen show in Raleigh on Saturday. It looks very much like the Kupferbraun sample that you have posted. In fact I don't see much difference at all.

Mac,

I have both...

The redblack is my goto ink and probably my favorite color, it definately is a redbrown color leaning more to the brown in my pens...

The Kupferbraun is also a redbrown, but with a definate burgundy back tint that the redblack does not have...

You actually need to see them side by side to see it...

They are both fantastic colors if you are into the brown shading.