Montblanc 149 Diplomat

asimplemaestro

Intro music is one of my favorite pieces as performed by one of my favorite artists. Click

and enjoy as for some reason this music always makes me want to pick up my 149.

My friends, please allow me the honor of introducing you to my much loved Montblanc 149. This is has long been considered the Montblanc to top all Montblancs. This is a Montblanc to Montblancs as the Stradivarius is to violins, the Black Pearl is to ships, the GT 500 is to muscle cars, or the Golden Gate is to bridges. To put it simply, the 149 is the crème de la crème of Meisterstucks. The fame of this pen reaches far and wide. Famous carriers such as Luciano Pavarotti, John F. Kennedy, and Mikhail Gorbachev were only a few of the proud users of this iconic writing instrument. Bottom line, the Diplomat is Montblanc's flagship pen. Be they Montblanc or made of other brand, if one owns a 149 then it becomes the pen to which all others are compared. In my opinion, it is not until you have experienced the beauty of a 149 that you have arrived.

Appearance and Design…Four Droolies: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

Among the Meisterstuck line, I would have to say that this was the best looking. I didn’t honestly understand the hullabaloo about the appearance of this pen until I actually saw one in person. In photos this looks just like a fat Meisterstuck but in person there is something regal about the pen. Arriving to my door in it’s gold trimmed case and soft satiny inner linings, this pen was a pleasure even to unpack. Upon first glance of the pen I was amazed at the size. This pen seems to have so much girth but even in my smaller hands it fits so perfectly. The nib is a massive piece of art. I would think that perhaps an artist like Georgia O’Keefe would appreciate such a nib. Also I purchased a desk stand for my 149 and this also adds to the experience. Even better than having such a pen in your possession is the joy of having it handy at all times. The base is pictured below and has a nice gold plate for engraving. I don’t know what clients think when they see it on my desk but I know that it’s definitely a noticeable piece.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/FPN%20Pics/DSC_0631.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/FPN%20Pics/CIMG1407.jpg

Comfort and Durability…Five Droolies: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

Thus far this is the go to pen if I am writing anything more than three pages. I find it humorous that people so often think it pretentious to carry such a large pen in public or to the boardroom. I don’t think there could be anything more wrong that for one to assume that a fellow writer was carrying a 149 for the sole purpose of impressing others and honestly think that anyone who assumes this has not had the pleasure of writing with a Diplomat. This is by far the most comfortable pen that I own. I have pens that are smoother and even have pens that I think are more pleasing to the eye. However, the weight and girth of this pen makes for the most comfortable writing experience possible. I think of this pen as my 57 Chevrolet. It’s not a small pen by far but the large size makes the long trips as smooth and sweet as possible.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/FPN%20Pics/CIMG1396.jpg

Filling System…Five Droolies: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

Keeping consistent with the 149’s "crème de la crème" status, Montblanc has included a wonderful piston filler on this pen. The operation is the same as any other piston but the large size of the pen allows for maximum ink capacity and the brass inner hardware ensures that you’ll be keeping your pen out of the repair shop. I prefer a piston filler and thus far this is the only one that competes with the ones installed in the larger Pelikans.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/FPN%20Pics/CIMG1417.jpg

Nib and Writing Performance…Four Droolies: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

Once again I’m having a blast with yet another Montblanc nib. I think that the nib is the eye grabbing feature on any 149 and this one’s no different. The 149 nib is huge, two toned, beautifully ornamented, and honestly just as much if not more of a work of art than the rest of the pen. There is nothing that makes me feel like a million bucks than being able to write my thoughts with such a masterpiece. I think that the only nibs that are more beautiful are some of the Montblanc Writers Edition pens or the Patron of the Arts line. Either way, there is nothing like a Montblanc nib to catch the eye.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/FPN%20Pics/CIMG1415.jpg

In terms of writing experience this is a very fine nib. This was originally a medium nib and the flow and flex are tuned just right. The iridium point lays down a nice smooth line that’s as consistent as it’s beautiful. As with most good fountain pens, there is minimal pressure needed to form a line and this adds to the comfort level of this pen as well as the endurance allowed the writer. There’s just a tad of feedback from the nib while writing and as this is something that most look for, it’s a good thing. If you’re one to prefer a glass smooth touch, then that’s something that can easily be remedied by any nibmeister.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/FPN%20Pics/CIMG1392.jpg

Cost and Value…Four Droolies: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

I bought this pen used for a very good price. However, I think that even at full price this is a good pen to buy. I know that many don’t like to spend more than a double digit figure on a pen but there is nothing that this pen does not offer. The 149 is a pen that’s considered an icon for very good reason. If you buy a 149, you can very easily go the rest of your life without needing another pen to make you happy. I paid a good price for this pen but even if I had paid full retail, I would find comfort in the fact that this is a pen that will be pleasing me for the rest of my life. This isn’t a throwaway Lamy or a fun little Phileas…this is the writing instrument of kings, diplomats, and famed artists worldwide.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/FPN%20Pics/CIMG1400.jpg

Conclusion…

The Montblanc 149 Diplomat is just about as top tier as it gets. Granted, there are higher end pens and there are certainly more expensive pens. However, I don’t know of any Montblanc or Meisterstuck that’s as pleasant a writer for the money. I’ve bought more than my share of pens and a lot were just to collect for the sake of collecting. This, though, is a pen that stays in my daily rotation and will do so until the day I can no longer write. And I don’t even mean just this line…the best thing about the 149 is that I can safely say that if well maintained, this particular pen will last me a lifetime.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/FPN%20Pics/DSC_0630.jpg

Final Rating...Four Droolies: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

Regards,

Marcos

Diplomat #001

Edited by asimplemaestro

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asimplemaestro

• Tsujigiri

• alvarez57

• stevlight

Great pictures and review! I agree, the 149 has pretty much everything. But if you rated it 4/5 overall, what's your 5/5 pen, or does it exist yet? Also, is that a Levenger dip pen on the side of your second photo?

Great pictures and review! I agree, the 149 has pretty much everything. But if you rated it 4/5 overall, what's your 5/5 pen, or does it exist yet?

I think that it will be the Montblanc Jules Verne Writers Edition in a fine nib. I won't know until I can afford to get my hands on one to review but I'm thinking that it will merit the oh so prestigious FIVE DROOLIES!!!

Also, is that a Levenger dip pen on the side of your second photo?

Yes, it's their pen and pewter inkwell set. I got it at about 75% off during one of their sales and love to use it. These dip pens are the only pens from Levenger that I find worth buying.

-Marcos

Great pictures and review! I agree, the 149 has pretty much everything. But if you rated it 4/5 overall, what's your 5/5 pen, or does it exist yet? Also, is that a Levenger dip pen on the side of your second photo?

...he still reserves 5/5 for his Diplomat 149... :roflmho:

Nice review Marcos, and nice pictures too! Thanks!

Edited by archie001

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

Great pictures and review! I agree, the 149 has pretty much everything. But if you rated it 4/5 overall, what's your 5/5 pen, or does it exist yet?

I think that it will be the Montblanc Jules Verne Writers Edition in a fine nib. I won't know until I can afford to get my hands on one to review but I'm thinking that it will merit the oh so prestigious FIVE DROOLIES!!!

Also, is that a Levenger dip pen on the side of your second photo?

Yes, it's their pen and pewter inkwell set. I got it at about 75% off during one of their sales and love to use it. These dip pens are the only pens from Levenger that I find worth buying.

-Marcos

Just looked up the Jules Verne... nice pen, but I have to admit I like the 149 better. If you do get it, though, I'll look forward to reading your review on it.

Yes, it is a very nice dip pen, the nicest modern one I've ever seen. Their True Writers are kind of basic, but their Newton fountain pen was nice.

Just my opinion, but I've owned very few pens (and I've owned many) that have the staying power of the 149 in terms of both reliability and joy.

Now you need one in broad. :happyberet:

Just my opinion, but I've owned very few pens (and I've owned many) that have the staying power of the 149 in terms of both reliability and joy.

Now you need one in broad. :happyberet:

If by broad you mean oblique double broad then yes I do! :thumbup:

-Marcos

If you buy a 149, you can very easily go the rest of your life without needing another pen to make you happy.

Thanks for a great review that reminded me why I have decided------

To buy one more 149 and be happy--we will see how long it lasts!!!

www.stevelightart.com

After having read that masterpiece Marcos, I dont know if I will be writing a review on my 149............ yours is just great !!

Again, thank you for the music, being this part one of my favorites. I don't have a Diplomat but I do the 149 and it is one of my favorites which stays longer time in my pen rotations.

Glad you have it.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Thanks for another well done review.

All I can say is that I share your enthusiasm for the 149. I would not want to choose between my 149's and Pel M-1000's, but then I don't have to. :cloud9: :D The 149 does take the prize for elegance, as well as being a super user pen.

As I have said before, I have four 149's with nibs that are F, M, B and BB. I agree with jeen that the 149 B nib is unique with its stub-like characteristics. If you get a chance to try one, I think you might like it.

Again, thank you for the music, being this part one of my favorites. I don't have a Diplomat but I do the 149 and it is one of my favorites which stays longer time in my pen rotations.

Glad you have it.

The 149 and the Diplomat are one and the same pen. Diplomat isn't the official name for the pen, but it's a common nickname.

Glad you have it.

The 149 and the Diplomat are one and the same pen. Diplomat isn't the official name for the pen, but it's a common nickname.

Thank you Tsujiri.... then I have it! It is a wonderful pen indeed and the piston system is the smoothest that I've encountered from my modern pens.

http://inlinethumb43.webshots.com/45674/2776289740105226730S425x425Q85.jpg

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

excellent review :)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

What a great review, as much as I love the 149 your review has even made me love it more.

No doubt the 149 is the most classic pen ever made.

For many people MB means 149 and rightly so.

I agree the Vern with a F nib is indeed a better writer. But not much better.

Respect to all

You gave the Binderized 145 Chopin five droolies Marcos...

Loving Mont Blanc and everything fountain pen!!!!!!!!

One of the few, the proud... 14 year-old FPN'ers!!!!!! ;)

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)

MY INKS: Parker Quink Blue, Private Reserve Midnight Blues, Montblanc Black

You gave the Binderized 145 Chopin five droolies Marcos...

You are right and I have since retracted that rating. That was a review made when I was a bit newer to FP's and was overly impressed with what was still a great pen. If I could get a mod to delete the fifth droolie in the original post that would be great as I can no longer edit it.

-Marcos

Wonderful review! Droolies everywhere at my end! :thumbup:

You say your hands are smaller -- would you say you're a large or medium glove size? I only ask because I have trouble balancing the 146 because it feels a little large (like a thick crayon) in my hands. So until your review I wasn't even considering a Diplomat. But I love my 145 and now I want to try the 149!!

And what's your download music? I'm at a location where all streaming is banned! :crybaby: (I apologize to the mods if I should have put this aspect into another thread. :embarrassed_smile:)

Thanks again for the vivid prose. I felt I knew exactly what you were reviewing!

Wonderful review! Droolies everywhere at my end! :thumbup:

You say your hands are smaller -- would you say you're a large or medium glove size? I only ask because I have trouble balancing the 146 because it feels a little large (like a thick crayon) in my hands. So until your review I wasn't even considering a Diplomat. But I love my 145 and now I want to try the 149!!

And what's your download music? I'm at a location where all streaming is banned! :crybaby: (I apologize to the mods if I should have put this aspect into another thread. :embarrassed_smile:)

Thanks again for the vivid prose. I felt I knew exactly what you were reviewing!

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed the review. My hands are probably a M glove size and the music is Joshua Bell's performance of Vivaldi's The Four Seasons. As for the pen, my 149 felt strange when I first held it but as soon as I got used to it I was hooked and spoiled to it's comfort.

-Marcos

Great review! And I very much agree with the contents... except that I would give it 5 droolies :) (And no, I'm not excited because of a recent 149 purchase... Having owned several 149s, and many other pens in similar price ranges, I genuinely think this pen out-classes all other pens in it's peer group in almost every way)

A merciful heart is the greatest of all possessions.