Edison Pearl in Red and Black Ebonite with Dual Ink Windows

AKAGodSent

For those interested, this is a direct link to the pen (but mine came with a clip).

http://pencraftonline.com/page.cfm/Pearl-i...-Dual-Ink-Windo

Well, I received this pen months ago. Sadly, I was kept busy by a variety of school projects and have only now come around to write a review. But, on the other hand, this gave me a good amount of time to use the pen and get a good feel for what it offered.

First time I stumbled onto the Pearl and saw the Red and Black Ebonite, I started saving up for the inevitable day that I'd put in my order. But I wanted the exact one in the picture, dual ink windows (it is an eye dropper) and no clip (the reason it has a clip I'll get to later on). The order process was smooth enough, I think Brian was quite busy at this point, there was some 4 or 6 week wait period from the day I put my order in until I was able to receive the pen. I ordered it with an 18k Gold nib ground down to a .5 CI. Soon enough, the pen was mine!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1158.jpg

As you can see, just like in Brian's pictures, the pen does shine! I love the ebonite and the feel of the pen is smooooth. The reason I did not want a clip with my pen was because I did not want to feel the connection where the clip gets inserted. Brian must have forgotten about my request and included a clip anyway. When I received the pen I was surprised to see that the entire cap felt like one full piece, even though it wasn't. Since there was no real hint of a top piece which was holding the clip, I declined Brian's request to send the pen back (at his cost!) and have another sent out without a clip. But, he insisted that the option will be on the table if I change my mind in the future. Couldn't ask for more in the service department!

The weight of the pen is not heavy and not light, I can write with it for hours, and have, and enjoy the exercise. Some close-ups of the dual ink windows:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1159.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1160.jpg

The pen holds a TON of ink and I love that I can see as the ink runs down either at the end of the pen or in the middle, depending on how I'm holding/positioning the pen. But, in all honesty, I think I simply like the aesthetic value of having these dual ink windows and the contrast with the Red and Black Ebonite is perfect.

The engraving:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1163.jpg

And, of course, the nib:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1164.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1165.jpg

The section is not the 'concaved' one that come with some of Brian's pens, I preferred this one, and will be requesting it from now on whenever I order another pen from him. Regarding the nib, I was never thrilled with it from the pictures on Brian's website. It seemed that the gold nib was too...dull. Even looking through the rhodium and the two tone nib, I was not impressed, and decided to simply stick with the 18k gold nib. Since I received the pen, I've had a complete change of heart. I'm now a huge fan of the nib, oh so shiny! But, in all seriousness, the nib in real life is night and day to what I saw in the pictures and the .5 CI is excellent. I've had a few pens worked on by Richard Binder and Brian's come quite close to his quality. There is a bit of 'tooth' on the upstroke but that's not something that I can't handle, the feedback is nice and, depending on the paper you're using, at times you'll forget it's even there. It's probably a 7 on a 1-10 wetness scale, although I prefer an 8, it's nice to have variety as well. It's also nice to know that if I ever feel that I'd like it changed, I know Brian can easily tune it for me. I do have to add that I have experienced one problem with the pen. When I was still in Arizona and taking notes on a paper I was writing for a seminar class, the pen began to leak...from where exactly I'm not sure and I don't know if it was due to the fact that it might have been bouncing around in my backpack (although in a secure section of the backpack, I'm sure my walking made it go up and down). I have yet to experience it a second time, so I'm hoping it was a one time thing. But, again, if it does happen, I know Brian will be happy to take a look at it and adjust it as needed.

The pearl is probably my favorite of all Brian's creations, I hope to have another on the way soon. I'm sorry to say I can't recall the exactly price of the pen, but I'm thinking $480, including shipping (would have been more if you want a clip as well).

Edited by AKAGodSent

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AKAGodSent

• RayMan

• Signum1

• bardharlock

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely pen and a nice review. I have my eye on a pearl as we speak. Having to wait until Christmas is either going to make me stornger, or make me whine. Thanks so much for the review.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

AKAGodsent,

I'm glad to hear you're having a good time with one of the Edison Pens. Thanks for the sharing the photos of your latest toy: or should we refer to it as an investment! :)

AKAGodsent,

I'm glad to hear you're having a good time with one of the Edison Pens. Thanks for the sharing the photos of your latest toy: or should we refer to it as an investment! :)

Indeed it was :) and not one I'll be parting with anytime soon!

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

Thanks for the review. I've had my eye on the Pearl with Red/Black Ebonite. Beautiful pen.

Regards,

Ray

Thanks for the review. I've had my eye on the Pearl with Red/Black Ebonite. Beautiful pen.

Worth the 'investment' ;)