Pelikan M640 Special Edition: Mount Everest

pankajwillis

Let me begin by saying that I had my heart set on this pen for quite some time now. Every since the first time I saw this pen, I have thought about it on and off. Finally I took a plunge and this is already one of my prized pens, almost up there near my 149s.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_IHHh1_NDwV8/SlXkbPTyIOI/AAAAAAAADs0/uGruqDlUxYE/s800/post-20612-1246719796.jpg

Design and Colors etc:

From the pictures available on the net, it is not very clear how 'rich' the golden etched lines and the gold colored Mount Everest are. When you hold this pen in your hand, you see the texture that runs though all the golden drawings on the barrel. It gives a feel of depth to the lines, and at the same time lets light play on those lines.

The barrel itself is slightly rounded, unlike the general Pelikan themes. This gives it a vintage feel, and all the colors contribute towards the same effect. Also the Pelikan logo is encircled by metal which gives it a lovely form.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_IHHh1_NDwV8/SlXkbW59FRI/AAAAAAAADs4/DQWSD41SyNI/s400/post-20612-1246719805.jpg

Unlike many other pens that shout at you, this pen is all about subtlety and grace. I think the designers did a great job picking up colors for this pen. The brushed silver is reminiscent of the white ice, and the golden lines depict the golden rays of morning sun hitting the mountains. The huge golden Mount Everest is the reflection of sun on the great mountain with all it's glory.

The grey sections give a feeling of the snowing morning sky, slowly turning bright and blue as the sun rises.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_IHHh1_NDwV8/SlXkbiGTwYI/AAAAAAAADtA/OsMi24f7je0/s512/post-20612-1246719827.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_IHHh1_NDwV8/SlXkb_EODFI/AAAAAAAADtE/7zBCSnWXwbM/s512/post-20612-1246719835.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_IHHh1_NDwV8/SlXkgeLPEGI/AAAAAAAADtM/A6cO8AAB0ZA/s512/post-20612-1246719841.jpg

All in all, this pen is probably one of the best modern 'vintage' pens that I could find. And certainly, the only one I could have from Pelikan.

Nib Performance:

I wasn't a big fan of Pelikan from day one. However, with time I have warmed up to them. After a couple of good experiences with Pelikan, I feel they make some of the best nibs out there. This nib was no exception. It is a M, and writes exactly how a Medium nib should write. The nib flows smoothly on paper, and it has a slight very warm texture, that I absolutely love.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_IHHh1_NDwV8/SlXkgrwhBhI/AAAAAAAADtQ/ldhnf31P4-s/s512/post-20612-1246719847.jpg

Piston, Reliability etc:

Pelikan pistons are one of the best out there. They seem to maintain their ease of operation and smoothness over time. Also since the nib just screws out, it is very easy to clean and troubleshoot. I think this pen is no exception, and probably one of the best reliable pens out there.

Balance/Weight:

This pen is neither too heavy, nor light. In general, I am not a big fan of light pens, and this pen does not disappoint. I was afraid it would be too small for my hands (I feel absolutely comfortable using 149s, or M1000s or the new Omas Paragon), but to my delight, i find this pen to be the perfect size. The barrel has a round shape which gives it a thick feel like almost like that of a 149. The weight of this pen would be similar to a 149 in my opinion - I don't have any exact numbers. I write unposted, and this pen is very balanced when writing unposted. I don't write posted so no comments on that.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_IHHh1_NDwV8/SlXkbahmCSI/AAAAAAAADs8/q4rcZvx4W50/s800/post-20612-1246719820.jpg

Overall/Cost vs Benefit etc:

I think this pen is one of the best pens out there. The colors on this pen are similar to the old Omas Paragon in grey, with a very similar vintage feel. There is no ink window, and overall this pen is designed to be very subtle and silent - very much like what it aims to capture in essence. The grace of this pen is beyond description. The play of light on it's golden etched Mount Everest is nothing short of breathtaking. Quality wise, it is probably one of the most reliable and well made pens out there.

I paid 360 USD for it and it is worth every penny in my opinion.

Edited by MYU

A merciful heart is the greatest of all possessions.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pankajwillis

• Brian

• tawanda

• Pen2009

Do you use it as your daily writer? Would you think it would get scratched more easily than the standard editions from Pelikan? Is the drawing covered with some coating to prevent it from being scratched off as you post and un-post the cap?

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Do you use it as your daily writer? Would you think it would get scratched more easily than the standard editions from Pelikan? Is the drawing covered with some coating to prevent it from being scratched off as you post and un-post the cap?

Yeah I think there is some kind of coating because if you slide you fingers over the lines, you can't feel any texture. So I'm pretty sure, all of the barrel is coated with some thing. You can't feel any texture on the barrel, you can only see it. As for scratches, I feel it would be similar to any other pelikan.

I definitely use it as my daily writer. It is as reliable, and as fast as any other pelikan, and also very easy to unscrew the cap (not that many turns as some other brands). Overall this pen gives a feeling of being solid. I am not sure if the barrel is all metal, but I think it might be.

One tiny little thing I forgot to mention is that the section where you actually hold the pen is a bit on the slimmer side. So it might be more suitable for people who prefer smaller pens - they can now have a heftier pen with the same width as probably the M600. However, I prefer thicker sections - I wish it didn't taper as much as it does near the nib. However, it does give me variety in my collection.

Nice pen. When I first saw it in ads it was not too attractive but in photos I can see why you like it. Sometimes its hard to judge a pen from photos and that's why you really have to hold it in your hands. Congratulations.

Nice. I just received a Sahara myself - same line in a different finish.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

• 1 year later...