Another Lamy 2000 (first impressions)

lecorbusier

Earlier today, I received my new Lamy 2000 in OM nib. Immediately, I dipped the new pen into my PR midnight blue to try it out. A revelation! The nib is buttery smooth and the oblique was cut as if to fit my rotative writing style. The nib certainly writes wet(ter) compared to other pens I have, though whether it is wetter than other european mediums I do not know, because I have only F and B nibs. All said, the OM nib has some flex in it and it is certainly very far from rigid. Kudos to Lamy for making this nib!

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5498/spa0436.jpg

This is a closer shot of the nib on a 80 gsm Bagasse fountain pen friendly and eco-friendly paper I am using on a daily basis. I am creating a line of notebooks with a new 90 gsm Bagasse paper for fountain pen enthusiasts. Stay tune if you are interested!!

Insofar as the Lamy 2000's aesthetics is concerned, I certainly appreciate its matt, Bauhaus no-frills appeal. And faithful to its Bauhaus and later Ulm roots, I also think the Lamy 2000 succeeds as an affordable and high quality product that has become the signature of Lamy itself. Significantly, I really enjoy the contrasts between the shiny platinum plated nib, the stainless steel matt, followed by the black 'wood-grain' fiber-glass. Clearly, the designer knew about visual balance and proportion. That said, writing under the sun (as I did) with the shiny nib in a oblique stance (the slanted nib facing me) shinning like a tiny star was surprisingly uncomfortable. This may have to do with the small visual space the nib occupies--it is like writing with a laser beam close to the paper. Anyone who has tried fooling around (i.e. staring at the beam near its target) with a laser pointer when that technology was popularized would know what I am talking about.

Overall, the finish is of a very high quality. The grains of the black fiber glass between the cap and the barrel did not quite line up--but I am bone-picking here. The piston pump is so so smooth. Buttery smooth is probably truer to the mark. I have heard of an uneasy tightness in the piston of this model; but at least on my first use this was not true, at least for the time being. Time will tell if the piston continues to work in this manner. And the cap snaps on and off with a satisfyingly aural feedback, likely generated by friction from the 'ears' on the pen. Posting the pen also gives a satisfying click, a nice sound between matt surfaces that let you know that the cap is secured. From a user's angle, such aural feedback is very important. Again, time will tell if all these pieces involved stay intact.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3355/spa0435w.jpg

Here is a photo of this 'Bauhaus-Ulm' pen with a 'Bauhaus-Ulm' watch by Max Bill made by Junghans. Another piece of great functioning design with lots of thoughtfulness expressed by its visual language.

Altogether, this is an excellent pen (so far) and I am thankful to own such a pen! Now I just have to find something to write after handing in my dissertation draft (not written in long hand; only the notes leading to the draft were...).

Edited by MYU

AAA

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lecorbusier

• MYU

• johnmont007

• meiers

Nice review!

Wow and you know Ulm, Hochschule für Gestaltung, that's great.

I knew one of the members - Herbert Maeser, the brother in law of Otl Aicher.

Great tradition.

Best,

Anna, who lives near Ulm

P.S. If you love Bill's Junghans, you will also love the NOMOS Tangente, I think.

...and your german is better than my english! :(

Edited by Gehaha

I'm not a native speaker of the english language. My apologies in advance when I'm causing trouble by bad grammar, wrong vocabulary, misspelling - friendly correction always welcome!

"...I still believe that people are really good at heart."

Anne Frank, "Diary" (14 years old)

Danke! Aber Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch nur.

Yes, sometimes I thought I missed Ulm by being born into the world a little too late (and in a different region as well)! I don't know Herr Maeser, but I have read Otl Aicher's book, "World as Design" (1994; Berlin: ernst und sohn) a few times. Like you said, nothing quite like the Hochschule für Gestaltung, Ulm, in the world now.

I love my Max Bill Junghans Uhr. I finally saw that on the dial, the hour hand matched up with the hour markers, and the minute hands to minute markers respectively. A little game Bill played that I finally understood. Nothing redundant and nothing frivolous. That said, this version I own is not the same size as the original, which was 34mm made for a different generation.

Yes, the NOMOS is very nice but sehr teuer! For now, its the Junghans.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen aus Singapur,

Jeff

Nice review!

Wow and you know Ulm, Hochschule für Gestaltung, that's great.

I knew one of the members - Herbert Maeser, the brother in law of Otl Aicher.

Great tradition.

Best,

Anna, who lives near Ulm

P.S. If you love Bill's Junghans, you will also love the NOMOS Tangente, I think.

...and your german is better than my english! :(

AAA

Outstanding review! I have the same pen and everything you say about the nib is the same on mine. A great pen with an amazing nib that works right out of the box. I have much more expensive pens that can't make that claim.

The OM nib is a nice one... rather generous with ink and super smooth. I tend to prefer a smaller line, so I had mine ground to a fine stub.

Nice photographic compositions.

Just a small request--can you please resize your images? We require images to be within 800px maximum and generally no more than 300Kb in size (a little larger is OK). The first image is 670kb and the 2nd one is 560kb... thanks.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Sure! Oops--no more edit function?

Jeff

The OM nib is a nice one... rather generous with ink and super smooth. I tend to prefer a smaller line, so I had mine ground to a fine stub.

Nice photographic compositions.

Just a small request--can you please resize your images? We require images to be within 800px maximum and generally no more than 300Kb in size (a little larger is OK). The first image is 670kb and the 2nd one is 560kb... thanks.

AAA

Whoops. You seem to have replaced your photos links to a Samsung TV product listing at Amazon. If you can't edit the original, just supply the links to this thread and I'll edit them in. Thanks.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

The Lamy 2000 is great. I think I'll take some photos of mine and post them up since the reviews (quite a few) have said it all and I have nothing more to add.

Enjoy your pen!

That´s Paul Erdős on my avatar.

A man who symbolizes discipline.

English is not my first language, so please correct my mistakes, if you wish.

I hope mine would be trouble free as yours when I receive one. It's reassuring to know that the piston filling system seems well put together.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I am getting one soon, but an EF as I prefer thinner lines. I am looking forward to this pen.

• 4 years later...