Another Ink Test for Waterproofness

Video11

I received some new Noodler's Inks recently and was a little bored so decided to conduct a little ink waterproof test. The inks are: Noodler's Legal Lapis (a Pendemonium.com exclusive), Quink Washable Blue, Noodler's Standard Blue, Noodler's Blue-Black, Sheaffer Skrip Blue (Made in USA), Sheaffer Skrip Black (Made in Slovenia), Noodler's Black, Noodler's Standard Brown, Noodler's Standard Green.

I grabbed the whitest paper I have and the pens that I have inked and wrote out this page...

http://static.flickr.com/50/150498791_8fb8358752_o.jpg

The colours look pretty accurate on my monitor, your results may vary.

I then let the ink dry on the page for several hours, sliced the paper in half lengthwise, soaked the right half of the page in plain tap water for 10 minutes, let the page dry and taped it back together...

http://static.flickr.com/53/151125029_c6b05b0179_o.jpg

As expected the Noodler's Legal Lapis and Black faired the best; no bleeding or washout at all from these permanent inks. The Noodler's Blue-Black also did very well, when the page was soaked in water I could see the blue component washing away leaving what I guess is Noodler's black behind. The Noodler's brown is still readable as well, it has washed out to a greyish colour. The remaining inks did less well with the Skrip Black managing to be still legible. Enjoy.

Life Is Not A Rehearsal.

Our Pen Club: http://londonpenclub.com

Our Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/254419004945988/

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Video11

• Bulldozer

• Slush99

• krz

Nicely done!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

nice selection of colors!

Out of thin air, quote of the moment (6/1/06): "boredom leads to creativity, as compulsion leads to innovation"

-Name your kids dudley, cause the name is feeling a little deprived =P

Somehow I overlooked this thread. Thanks Video11! Nice comparison. :)

It looks like the Noodlers Blue-Black really held in there. I was curious about that one, now it's on my "to buy" list.

Edited by krz

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

...It looks like the Noodlers Blue-Black really held in there. I was curious about that one, now it's on my "to buy" list.

The Noodlers Blue-Black is a very nice ink. It is a very dark colour and sometimes it is difficult to see the blue; you need the correct lighting. In the water soak test the blue washed away and left the black. On the 'after' half of the page you can not tell the difference between the Noodler's Black and Noodler's Blue-Black.

Life Is Not A Rehearsal.

Our Pen Club: http://londonpenclub.com

Our Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/254419004945988/

• 2 years later...
Sorry to dig this up, but does this mean Noodler's Standard Brown is NOT waterproof?

I have the exact same question. I got it thinking at least, it would be waterproof, but is not. IMOE, washes away just to leave a faint grayish line. That exposed to the window light fades even further into an almost nothing.

I thought I could have got a bad batch, but got the same feedback from other two users, so is not an ink that should be in the "Almost Bulletproof" list by any means.

Sorry to dig this up, but does this mean Noodler's Standard Brown is NOT waterproof?

No, it's not. It's a mix of a bulletproof ink (probably black) with non-bulletproof, so I'd expect it to wind up being grey.

Look at the Navy below (lower right): it's also one of the near-bulletproof inks.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2576647341_8824616c6e.jpg

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Thanks!

Good thing I went with Golden Brown then. I suppose Eternal Brown in the only fully waterproof brown then.

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome. I was just debating because I had to buy ink. I am forced to use black ink because of my line of work and forms that I have to fill out. Noodler's Black solves that problem. Now if only I can find out where I can get my hands on one of them.