Tibet Extra

rroossinck

http://www.roossinck.com/fpn/tibet/tibet.jpg

I really love blue pens. Many of the “keepers” in my current collection are blue pens (Cedar Blue “51”, Conklin Duragraph, Pilot VP, blue-striped M805, Levenger True Writer, etc.). So, when this strange lapis blue pen called a “Tibet-Extra” came up for sale back in February/March 2009, I was keenly interested. Sadly, I missed out on it because my message was too late. I was heartbroken about it, and since I wasn’t sure who picked it up, I was pretty sure that I’d never see it again. I saved the pictures on my hard drive so I could still have something to reference if I ever ran across another one, but I was pretty sure that this one was long gone.

Never say never...

About a month or so ago, I saw a post in the Marketplace that advertised an old flat top that I had originally restored and re-ground and sold, along with a bunch of other pens for sale. Curiousity got the better of me, and I clicked it. I was pleasantly surprised (shocked, actually) to see that same Tibet-Extra on sale again! Needless to say, I wasted no time in laying claim to it. It arrived a few days later, and it’s time to do the review.

First Impressions
This is a gorgeous blue & white lapis blue pen. For its age (which I’d estimate at about 70-75 years), it’s in remarkably good shape. The nickel-plated clip and capbands are in reasonably good shape and they’re nice and tight, and the celluloid body is in great shape with only minor wear marks. The color is also very nice, and it hasn’t discolored much at all. The hard rubber section (?) is still a deep rich black. All in all, it’s beautiful.

Appearance
The Tibet-Extra is a very traditional Italian shape, complete with lots of classic Italian design elements that you’ll still find in many modern Italians today. See the pictures for a handful of close-ups of these.

http://www.roossinck.com/fpn/tibet/tibet2.jpg

Triple capbands and very thin caplip

http://www.roossinck.com/fpn/tibet/tibet3.jpg

Black celluloid discs on top & bottom

http://www.roossinck.com/fpn/tibet/tibet4.jpg

Button filler

http://www.roossinck.com/fpn/tibet/tibet5.jpg

Compared to an Italian of similar vintage, the Black Star (reviews here and here). Note the similarity of the disc on the cap, and the thin caplip.

Design/Size/Weight
The shape is really very nice, and extremely comfortable. It’s not quite a torpedo-shaped pen per se, but has some swell around the middle (strangely, it seems to have taken the shape of its new owner!). It feels great in the hand, and although I’m more comfortable using it posted, it’s not horrible to write with un-posted. It’s about 5” tall capped and 6” posted. It’s also nice and lightweight in the hand; it weighs somewhere in the 20-ish gram range when full of ink.

Nib
The original nib on this pen was a steel ABT #4 with some flex to it. As the pen needed a little work when I got it, though, I opted to switch it out since I already had it apart. I took out the nib for a variety of reasons, but mainly it was because as a lefty, I can’t use flex nibs as easily as a right-hander. It was more comfortable to put in something more rigid. Right now, it’s sporting a two-tone 14K Sheaffer’s Lifetime nib from an old Balance that was a basketcase when I got it. If I can determine who manufactured this pen (I’m guessing it might have been Columbus, but I wouldn’t swear to it), I might look for a period-correct nib, but for now this Sheaffer’s Balance nib is working out just fine. It’s very firm, quite smooth, and flows quite generously. Thick, saturated inks work pretty well in this one. Might be a good pen for Noodler’s HoD.

http://www.roossinck.com/fpn/tibet/tibet6.jpg

Note the profiles of the section, and how closely they match up with each other.

Filling System
Button filler, which I have restored with a general cleaning, new pressbar, and a new sac. When I got it, the pressbar had pretty much fallen apart, so I replaced it and fitted it with a new sac. Works great!

Cost and Value
No idea what this one is worth, but I’d imagine I’d have a hard time replacing it for the $100 I paid for it. I’ve done a fair bit of looking on the web in some of the various nooks & crannies where you might find vintage Italian information, and nothing has turned up. The original seller also noted that this was the only Tibet he’d ever seen, and I know he’s been collecting for many years longer than I. I doubt I could replace it for double my investment, if one could be found.

Conclusion
Vintage Italian pens are great ways to have a lot of fun in this hobby. They had some great designs, interesting takes on the design elements that they borrowed from other manufacturers, and many of the vintage Italians that show up on the open market today make terrific writers even though they don’t say Omas, Visconti, Ancora, Aurora, or any of the other big names. Many of these pens bring up more questions than they provide answers (as regarding origins, anyway), and that’s part of the big fun for me.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rroossinck

• MYU

• gylyf

• ethernautrix

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, the old Italian pens that are not the big names include many wonderful pens. Sanpei has been selling off his collection here on FPN, and I've bought a couple terrific pens from him - including one called Etiopica (produced in 1936, so that gives one a little historical shiver) that is very close to a wet noodle.

Tom

Thanks for a detailed and thoughtful review, Ryan. And what a great idea to install a Sheaffer nib in it (lucky that you could find one that fits!). Incidentally, is the brand "Tibet" and the model "Extra"? Is the brand imprinted anywhere? I am also attracted to blue pens... especially lapis, featuring that thin white swirl within a sea of royal blue. I keep meaning to buy one eventually. :)

~Gary

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Thanks for the kudos, gang! Gary, the name is inscribed on the barrel but I forgot to get a picture of it. I'll take a shot of it in the next day or two and get it out. It's perhaps the only clue to who might have manufactured this pen that I can find (a stylized "A" in the word EXTRA).

As for the Sheaffer's nib swap...well, it's a case of trial and error, really. Among the major manufacturers who made gold nibs back in the day, I have a feeling that Sheaffer's had about as large a size range as anyone in their catalog. It was just a matter of time before I found the one that fit (physically and aesthetically). For the record, the one used was from a Standard Vac-Fil Balance (price code would be 1000).

Tom, I hate it when Paolo puts up another sale... :) So tempting. That green Stiliridio that he listed a few weeks ago was/is to die for.

Gary, if for some reason I decide to sell it, you'll have first dibs. (David, I'd offer it to you first, but I know you've got gobs of blue pens whereas Gary still doesn't have a lapis blue one!) :)

Gary, if for some reason I decide to sell it, you'll have first dibs. (David, I'd offer it to you first, but I know you've got gobs of blue pens whereas Gary still doesn't have a lapis blue one!) :)

Fair enough! :)

Thanks for the info, Ryan... Hmmmm, I guess I'll file it under "Tibet Extra" and perhaps someday when you might learn the brand name, I'll updated it accordingly. ;)

Oh and I don't expect you'll sell this pen anytime soon, so I won't be hoping... :lol:

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Thanks Dave! I'm toying with making another nib swap on this one, but haven't decided yet. Thought about putting a Skyline nib in there, since I've got one, and no Skyline to put it in. We'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after thinking about it a little bit and doing a quick test-fit, I decided to put that Skyline nib in there, and I'm very happy with the results. For whatever reason, it just looks a little more "at home" in the Tibet than the Sheaffer's did. It's a nice fat medium with some texture to it (for now...this one might get stubbed). :)

That is a gorgeous pen, Ryan! Isn't the two-tone Lifetime nib also a FeatherTouch, even though it doesn't say so on the nib? Cos if it is, then extra WOW!

If I ever were to want a lapis lazuli pen, I'd want one like that. Or even an all-black one like that.

SaaaWEEEEET!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Oops! Nib swap!

I'm sure whatever you did is fabulous.

It's cos of your review that I got this Bexley Simplicity when Dennis got another limited production of the black ones, and it's been in daily rotation ever since. I love this Bexley nib!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.