Noodler's Ink: Golden Brown

Signum1

The dogs days of summer is upon us. Enjoy the easy reading. :)

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9138/goldenbrown.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Signum1

• Bo Bo Olson

• ShadowWriter

• JefferyS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yet another argument for broader nibs -- this ink is so much more interesting with a broad nib. Thank you for posting this.

Hi, Signum,

Great review, Love the shading on the Noodler Golden Brown ink.

And I see you are having fun with letter shapes. Keep up the good work.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Thanks for another great review. I had this ink in my new amber CS Duro with FI nib. I love this colour. Great ink, great review, great handwriting.

Wow, what a BEAUTIFUL looking ink. Another one to add to the ever-growing buy list...

Currently Inked:

Lamy Safari - Noodlers Zhivago

Thank you for the review, I love your handwriting :)

Golden Brown is my favorite ink, its shading is very impressive.

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

Your image and details are very good. I have a bottle of Pelikan Brilliant Brown. On my monitor, where you have done a beautiful job of shading, the color looks similar to the Pelikan Brilliant Brown but with the F nib, the Noodler's looks darker, of course.

Have you or anyone else used both? If so, is the Pelikan Brilliant Brown brighter than Noodler's Golden Brown or about the same?

Your image and details are very good. I have a bottle of Pelikan Brilliant Brown. On my monitor, where you have done a beautiful job of shading, the color looks similar to the Pelikan Brilliant Brown but with the F nib, the Noodler's looks darker, of course.

Have you or anyone else used both? If so, is the Pelikan Brilliant Brown brighter than Noodler's Golden Brown or about the same?

Brown and yellow colour inks are not the primary inks that I would typically purchase. Standard brown ink just do not excite me enough to flash my credit card for the purchase. While yellow ink is difficult to read. I have Noodler's Golden Pig ink that I use as a highlighter, but I do not use the Golden Pig ink to write because it's tough to read. The Golden Brown by Noodler's Ink and Sepia by Diamine lean toward a "Golden" colour that sparks my interest. A bottle of ink of $12 to $15 is just the cost of doing business. I would recommend the Golden Brown if you use an edged fountain pen. If you use the typical fine nib or even broad nib with no adjustment (cursive italic or stub italic), save your money because you won't be able to appreciate the shading that is delivered with an edged fountain pen.

Your image and details are very good. I have a bottle of Pelikan Brilliant Brown. On my monitor, where you have done a beautiful job of shading, the color looks similar to the Pelikan Brilliant Brown but with the F nib, the Noodler's looks darker, of course. Have you or anyone else used both? If so, is the Pelikan Brilliant Brown brighter than Noodler's Golden Brown or about the same?
Brown and yellow colour inks are not the primary inks that I would typically purchase. Standard brown ink just do not excite me enough to flash my credit card for the purchase. While yellow ink is difficult to read. I have Noodler's Golden Pig ink that I use as a highlighter, but I do not use the Golden Pig ink to write because it's tough to read. The Golden Brown by Noodler's Ink and Sepia by Diamine lean toward a "Golden" colour that sparks my interest. A bottle of ink of $12 to $15 is just the cost of doing business. I would recommend the Golden Brown if you use an edged fountain pen. If you use the typical fine nib or even broad nib with no adjustment (cursive italic or stub italic), save your money because you won't be able to appreciate the shading that is delivered with an edged fountain pen.

I originally had little or no use for brown ink, then found it to be more useful than I thought. Tried Visconti Brown. It's fairly brown. Then, PR Chocolat, true to its name, Chocolate. Tried Pelikan "Brilliant Brown" and it has a bright quality about it. I've merely tried cartridges of the Visconti and PR. Only have bottle of Pelikan.

Appreciate the information regarding nibs and brown inks. New pen purchases on hold, but am planning to experiment w/altered nibs and ink. I hadn't had opportunity to try Diamine's Sepia yet. Thanks again for info!

I have been thinking of getting a brown ink. This one is stunning. I just bought a Lamy Safari medium (my second pen; I'm new at this), and now I think I'll have to order a calligraphy nib so it will show off this ink. I tend to have an italic style hand anyway. Thanks for reviewing it and giving such an informative display.

I wish people wouldn't keep doing these reviews. That ink is fantastic I will have to get it now. I love the shading. It really is golden brown, great sales job ;)

I have been thinking of getting a brown ink. This one is stunning. I just bought a Lamy Safari medium (my second pen; I'm new at this), and now I think I'll have to order a calligraphy nib so it will show off this ink. I tend to have an italic style hand anyway. Thanks for reviewing it and giving such an informative display.

Nebshobe,

Good idea with procuring a calligraphy nib from Lamy. Probably one of the best decision you made. :thumbup:

I wish people wouldn't keep doing these reviews. That ink is fantastic I will have to get it now. I love the shading. It really is golden brown, great sales job ;)

Paulbarnard,

When I checked my mails for today and another other day, I don't recall receiving any form of compensation from the ink manufacturers. Also I don't recall receiving any free inks for my ink reviews. Trust me when I state my ink reviews are a labour of love! You are more than welcome to wear a blindfold just moments from clicking "Ink Reviews." :) In the meantime, if you cannot resist the itch to read another ink review, try reading my recent review of Noodler's Saguaro Wine. The word of the day is purple. lol....

• 4 months later...

Thanks for a great review. Your beautiful handwriting combined with the broad nib and ink selection make a spectacular handwriting example.

This is one of my favorite brown inks. The only downfall I have seen is that it takes quite a bit to dry up ... learned it the hard way, after having blurred some writing pieces and having had to redo them! Oh well ... still in my favorite pile of inks.

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

Excellent review and nice penmanship!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

• 2 years later...

I bought a bottle and filled it after shaking it. I find the brown is darker than I expected. I filled a second pen with it, leaving the bottle unshaken, having stood undisturbed for several days, and the ink was substantially more golden than brown. The problem in comparing the two is due to a broader CI nib being used initially (the darker example), and a Medium/Fine nib in the second test (the lighter example). - Sorry, my scanner is on the fritz, I can't post images.

The question I mean to ask is: do you shake the bottle before inking up? I've read that it's usually a good idea to get all components of an ink thoroughly mixed before filling your pen with it.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

@JanuaryMan

No, I typically do not shake the bottle. I only shake the ink bottle when I see stuff lying at the bottom of the bottle.

I love this ink and I loved your review. Your calligraphy is excellent! You are so right about Golden Brown, it is one of my favorites because it is a great color, shades beautifully, and did I say the color is great! One of the truly unique ones on the market. Again, thanks for showing this off and lifting my spirits on a dreary cold day in February Upper Hemisphere.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I've been using this ink daily for a few months now. One thing about it that I don't like and love at the same time, is that you never seem to get the same color in any two writing sessions, the components seem to settle out a bit in the pen, I may try my next refill from a bottle that hasn't been shaken in a few weeks. What I've been doing is shaking it and then waiting a day or two before filling, as filling right after shaking got me multicolored greenish brown to bright red-yellow tones in a single word sometimes.

I just received my first crisp italic nibbled pen, and filled it with Noodler's Golden Brown. What a great combination. It's hard to even call it a brown ink. It's not orange either. It's golden.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA