MONTBLANC MEISTERSTÜCK 146 LE GRAND

asimplemaestro

For Starters: Click HERE and hit play on the top song. Enjoy your review music. What better to go with Montblanc than a song about stars! :thumbup:

Welcome to the Montblanc “Le Grand” 146. This pen is a member of the Meisterstück line. It is the older sibling to the 145 and the younger sibling to the 149. There is also a 147 which is a same dimension pen but utilizes a cartridge filling system as opposed to the 146’s piston.

Appearance and Design…Four Droolies: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

The Le Grand has the same Meisterstück look and feel as all of the other models in the line. This particular model is Montblanc’s black precious resin matched with a platinum trim. I think that the shimmer of platinum adds a wonderfully elegant touch to the bold shine of the black precious resin. The dimensions of the pen and the size of the nib are very proportionate with each other. All in all, I think that due to size and looks this would be the Meisterstück that I would choose if forced to carry only one.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/FPN%20Pics/CIMG1294.jpg

Comfort and Durability…Four Droolies: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

One word…”WOW!” I have always heard that the larger of the Meisterstücks were more comfortable but I cannot express how wonderful this pen is to write with. I write all of these reviews by hand, with the pen being reviewed before typing them up. This pen is such a pleasure! As for the durability of the pen…I bought this pen used via eBay and there were more than a few micro scratches on the resin when it arrived. However, with the correct amount of polishing this pen was brought back to brand new condition. In time, any pen that’s used will develop a few scratches. The think that I like best about the precious resin is that it only took a bit of work and I am now able to see my reflection in the shine of the body again.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/FPN%20Pics/CIMG1295.jpg

Filling System…Three Droolies: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

The 146 has a piston filling system. Ever since I bought my first Pelikan, I have loved piston fillers. When I first purchased this pen, a single working of the piston gave me a heavy charge. Montblanc makes a twin to this pen in the form of the 147 Traveler. This pen is dimensionally the same as the 146 Le Grand but is a cartridge only pen that comes with a carrying case.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/FPN%20Pics/CIMG1296.jpg

Nib and Writing Performance…Four Droolies: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

I can think of only one thing better than a beautifully accented Montblanc nib. That would be a BIGGER beautifully accented Montblanc nib. ;-) Thus far, this is the largest Montblanc nib that I have owned and it’s definitely eye candy. As for the performance, I can’t say how much I love the way this pen writes. I recently sold my Montblanc 144 with a fine nib because it was a gold trim model and I am looking for a platinum trim model. The sad thing about it was that it was such a perfect fine nib. Elated doesn’t cover how I felt when I bought this pen and discovered that this nib would be the standard to which I hold all other fines. There is a tiny amount of flex in the nib which lays down a smooth, wet line. The nib also has a tiny amount of feedback that keeps the pen from being too smooth.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/FPN%20Pics/CIMG1299.jpg

Cost and Value…Two Droolies: :puddle: :puddle:

My opinion of Montblancs is this. When purchased new, they are slightly overpriced. (Though I would still buy them) However, when purchased in used but good condition, I think them to be worth every penny. I paid just over $250 for this pen and know what over the years to come I will get my money’s worth.

In conclusion…wow! I was expecting just another Meisterstück when I purchased this pen. I must say that the superior nib and the fantastic feel of my new Montblanc Le Grand 146 will remain a staple in my shirt pocket for years to come.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/FPN%20Pics/CIMG1297.jpg

In conclusion…wow! I was expecting just another Meisterstück when I purchased this pen. I must say that the superior nib and the fantastic feel of my new Montblanc Le Grand 146 will remain a staple in my shirt pocket for years to come!

Thanks again for taking the time to read and listen,

Marcos

Final Rating...Four Droolies: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asimplemaestro

• stevlight

• alvarez57

• ampatb

nice review, what is the max number of drools you can get?

The glorious Five Droolies! :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

A very hard feat for any pen maker to attain!

-Marcos

Great song, great pen, and a great review!

Just when I thought my next MB would be cool and blue, along comes the 146...

Drool indeed :puddle:

Thank you for a well done review.

I find the 146 to be a very comfortable pen, yet it is right on the border of being too small for my hand. I have two, and both write excellently and are ultra reliable. I also got mine used. I have had no problems with either of them.

If you like big MB nibs, I guess the 149 is the next for you to try. The 149 is an ideal size for my hand, and the large (huge!) nibs writes beautifully. Because it is a larger nib than the 146, it writes a bit differently with a wider line. But if you like the 146 you are sure to like the 149.

I told you Marcos - the 146 is a wonderful writing instrument indeed !!

Its really my favourite............ !!

Use her in health !

Mazal tov

Reading the review with a bit music, good.

Thanks for the review.

My opinion is 149 is better than 146.

Thanks for the review, Marcos. I didn't know used 146s could be had for the sum you paid. I'm no MB aficionado, but that seems to be reasonable considering the MSRP sticker tag. It may even put a Meisterstück on my "possibilities" list someday. I, too, like the palladium accents on this Le Grand. Enjoy it in good spirits for a long time to come.

New prices = 4 'grunties!

Most MB are more than a little overpriced, but as long as they have people willing to pay their prices, they won't lower them. Used is definitely a way to go.

PS - basic black only gets 3 droolies - have to save something for the other versions. :happyberet:

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

Hey Man! Who would have thought of a pen review with a background song!! I think you have set a new standard here plus the droolies! :eureka:

Very original review. I have the 149 and if this one is similar, they are great pens.

Enjoy! Gracias Marcos!

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

The WE's are my favorite MB pens. But, they all stay at home. For the road and the office (my rounds at the hospital) the 146 is absolutely perfect. On another level, the pen has written notes that have changed people's lives. That is truely special.

MP

Nice review. I have only one MB - just like yours :) I like mine a lot too. It's a perfect fit for my shirt pocket and has wonderful balance, is a great writer, and is just the right size for me. Thanks again for the review and for reinforcing my views of the pen.

Good review! I finally obtained my own 146 not long ago and I love it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

A belated but enthusiastic congrats on your 146P! The 146 looks so cool in platinum, and I never tire of it.

Enjoy your new pen!!

nice review marcos ;) owning two vintage 146, I can tell you that the 146 is a very good pen, congrats on your purchase and happy writing.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Just got my own 146 platinum trim-M nib yesterday---What a dream--I agree with everything you said.

www.stevelightart.com

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! You know I love to review my pens. Nothing makes me happy like throwin out some droolies at a nice pen!

-Marcos