Lamy Safari

chemgeek

(5) Around here I can get Skrip, short international, Waterman, and Parker ink cartridges. The prorietary Lamy cartridge is not carried.

I don't know if it would work, but it would not be crazy to try a Parker cartridge in there. They are similar. It might not work - I haven't tried it.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saintsimon

• Armchop

• ht1

• shahrincamille

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got just one of these pens. The nib was rather rough to begin with though it has got smoother with use. Its a tough pen that will last but I find the cap does not clip on tight enough - almost lost it more than once in my pocket and the clip is not the most attractive of designs. But its good value for money.

John

Although it is really good and everything, I personally believe that size of the font are too thin. It does not present nice comfortable readable font. From my personal experience, I don't advice people to use it during the English examination (for essays).

I guess it is dependent on many factors such as your personal style of writing, how you grip the pen, the paper you use, the ink you use and your experience with other fountain pens to which you would compare it to.

If the Lamy was your second fountain pen in 6 years, what was the first one? :huh:

Ur right.

I guess it depends on people's choice and preference of handwriting.

And my first fountain pen was Parker Sonnet I believe it was...

I cannot remember the actual name of the pen I had 6 years ago.

Edited by happy_time

The addition of a bright steel nib makes a tremendous difference to the overall appearance of the pen. I put one on my dark blue Safari, and what a difference it made! I really wish I'd taken before & after photos. The pen now has a bit of sparkle, and one's eye is immediately drawn to the nib. When I write, I can see the reflection of what I've just written.

Ashland

• 4 weeks later...

Lamy Safaris are great pens - but Lamy has decided to be cheap these days. The ABS plastic is thinner and lighter compared to th eearlier Safaris. Ahh...to increase the profit marging by lowering manufacturing costs!!!

The Lamy Safari was my first 'modern' fountain pen.

I had a couple of Rotring Art Pens, but kept them in my paint case and only used them for art projects. I never thought you could carry one and use it like a *real* pen. :)

Anyhoo, I now have three Lamys and have bought a fourth one for a friend.

They're great lending pens to hand someone when they want to borrow my $300 demonstrator. I hand them my Lamy Vista. :) Most people don't notice the bait and switch.

I also use the Lamy Vista for my Blue Ghost Invisible Ink. Makes the whole pen glow like it's radioactive.

Has anyone here changed out the the nib on one? I'm a little leery to just grab and pull.

And does anyone know where to get extra nibs?

"I am a teacher as well as a witch," said Miss Tick, adjusting her hat

carefully. "Therefore, I make lists. I make assessments. I write things

down in a neat firm hand with pens of two colors."

Miss Tick from

Terry Pratchett's

Wee Free Men

thansk for the review ... agree that its a high quality inexpensive FP.... I have been using a red one (or two?) for many many years... Only change was the cap... the ABS plastic cracked at the rim but then again this was after many many years of DAILY use... Bought a bright steel nib to replace the black one a few years back and ground it myself to a stub. Its a really really hardy nib and pen....

jus replaced the image with a better one (windowlight) ... the paper is creamed coloured ...

post-34-1155222897_thumb.jpg

Edited by TMLee

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

(2) I get no noticeable variation between verticle and horizontal lines. This is probably from normal manufacturing variation. Mine is fairly smooth, with a reasonable level of tooth.

Just to add to the line variation part of the thread. I don't get any line variation unless I use a light touch then it seems that I can. SO besides manufacturer variation there can also be pressure variation! :rolleyes:

As an aside I just sent my EF back to Lamy because it was a scratchy writer. Besides the $7.50 they are charging me to ship it back I have great hope for the pen

K

Has anyone here changed out the the nib on one? I'm a little leery to just grab and pull.

And does anyone know where to get extra nibs?

The nib comes off very easily! just a piece of tissue or rubber to get some purchase and it slips off.

The lamy website lets you pick and choose pieces that you'd like to buy $15 for a replacement nib. I guess you could also buy caps and bodies to mix and match as well.

K

Has anyone here changed out the the nib on one?  I'm a little leery to just grab and pull.

The storekeeper showed me how to do it .... he placed a short strip of MagicTape (scotchtape) to cover over the metal nib , then he gripped the tape and just gently pulled along the pen axis ... this is to avoid damaging the tines by gripping it directly with too much force ..... This way the feed underside is completely left untouched / unmolested ...

Just added a pic .... says everything .... B nib ...

[/img]http://images6.theimagehosting.com/LamyNib.jpg

[/img]

Edited by TMLee

instagram

How does the Lamy EF compare to the Namiki VP F nib?

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

The Lamy EF lays down an extremely fine point. Having only test-written with a VP F, I can't tell you for sure, but it seems to me that the VP F would probably match up to a Lamy F. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner to give you an example of the Lamy EF, but it lays down one of the finest lines I have ever seen. My (rather educated) guess: The Lamy EF is quite a bit finer than the VP F.

Well for you, if you wrestle on, for in persistency lies victory, and with the morning may come the wished-for blessing. But not always; there is a struggle with defeat which some of you will have to bear, and it will be well for you if you have cultivated a cheerful equanimity. Remember, too, that sometimes 'from our desolation only does the better life begin.' Even with disaster ahead, it is better to face them with a smile, and with the head erect, than to crouch at their approach. And, if the fight is for principle and justice, even when failure seems certain, where many have failed before, cling to your ideal, and, like Childe Roland before the dark tower, set the slug-horn to your lips, blow the challenge, and calmly await the conflict.

--"Aequanimitas" William Osler

Valedictory Address, University of Pennsylvania, May 1, 1889

Have you noticed tha ABS plastic body of the new Lamy Safaris are "thinner & lighter" than the older models? Sad!!!!!! That a company would do such a thing to consumers.....to make a buck by betraying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted a nib that can take some work abuse, and after reading everyone's posts, decided on the Lamy Vista. And for the cost of $25 from the pen store, I also don't worry about my pen walking away.

After trying both fine and extra fine nibs, I decided on an extra fine point on the Lamy. I think it writes a little bigger than the Japanese. I have several VPs and Sailors.

I have Namiki Black ink in my Lamy. Does anyone here have opinions on the Lamy Black ink?

Hi,

I'm looking for a nib with stroke variation... I understand there's either italic, or stub nibs for that, or oblique, or flex. Now, according to an online shop, the Lamy Safari/All-Star/Vista comes with a range of these nibs: EF, F, M, MK*, OM, left-handed (LH) B, OB or 1.1mm italic nib sizes. MK is for people not used to fountain pens, so I'm leaving that one and LH out.

Am I right in assuming EF-F-MK-B are regular nibs and OM-OB are oblique tips (hence the O) ? I find italics too extreme, so I'm looking for an inexpensive (not cheap :P) pen with an oblique tip so I can experiment. Lamy All-Star OB sounds perfect if it fits that description :)

Peter.

--

Graf von Faber Castell + Pelikano for experiments

I bought a Lamy Vista (the clear bodied Safari) and I need to write on a lot of multipart forms, and it does a pretty decent job writing on triplicates.

What nib do you have on your Lamy Vista, churl? I just bought one yesterday with a fine nib, and I really really like it. I also have to write on a lot of forms, so I'm a little concerned. I totally broke my slightly-drunken vow of not buying anymore pens.

(BTW, I checked out your website through Flickr, the "what every clinical clerk should know" list is absolutely brilliant. I love it. I'm a fourth yr resident in path - I know, I got out - and I'll make sure to pass it on to my MS2 sister to warn her. She doesn't believe me - she thinks I am the only one who feels that way!)

*edited for egregious spelling and grammatical errors*

Edited by Ana

Hi,

I'm looking for a nib with stroke variation...  I understand there's either italic, or stub nibs for that, or oblique, or flex.  Now, according to an online shop, the Lamy Safari/All-Star/Vista comes with a range of these nibs: EF, F, M, MK*, OM, left-handed (LH) B, OB or 1.1mm italic nib sizes.  MK is for people not used to fountain pens, so I'm leaving that one and LH out.

Am I right in assuming EF-F-MK-B are regular nibs and OM-OB are oblique tips (hence the O) ?  I find italics too extreme, so I'm looking for an inexpensive (not cheap :P) pen with an oblique tip so I can experiment.  Lamy All-Star OB sounds perfect if it fits that description :)

Peter.

Hi PeterL...

you may want to read this thread concerning oblique nibs... Contrary belief, They don't give line variation...

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...indpost&p=87667

instagram

Hi TM,

Darn :( So I was probably confusing with stub nibs. And those aren't as readily available as italics :(

Peter.

--

Graf von Faber Castell + Pelikano for experiments