Marlen Basilea

Russ

Marlen Basilea, M nib, cursive italic.

I am so impressed with the Basilea that I want to write a brief review. After only a few days with it, I know this pen is a keeper. My initial write-up will occur in standard characters; my later impressions will appear in italics.

First Impressions (5/5)

I bought the pen used, and it arrived with the box and quite an informative little booklet. Very well done. Marlen used the opportunity afforded by the opening experience to share a little more about the company and its products than other companies I have experienced.

Appearance (5/5)

The black body of the pen is harder and more glossy than my black Pelikan M400 and Omas Milord. You can hear the hardness of the material when the cap is being spun on or off. I like this. The material (plastic? resin?) seems quite durable. I really liked the red and silver appointments. The balance of colors is tastefully done, creating a sporty, stylish Italian mood that catches the eye yet without being overdone.

I remain satisfied with the appearance of the pen. It does not attract attention in public while having quiet dignity.

Design/Size/Weight (5/5)

The Basilea excels in design. The contour of the barrel makes it very friendly in the hand. The subtle placement of threads just beneath the forward silver ring was thoughtful. Located on the slope of the barrel down toward the section, the threads are hardly felt while writing. The silver ring and the black body material seem to conspire to hide the threads beneath the visual focus of the ring. Smartly done!

The pen is nearly the same size as the Aurora Optima, another favorite of mine.

The design and balance of the Basilea continues to satisfy me months after purchase. It settles into my hand nicely and remains placed there without sliding up or down. The durability of the body and cap material is superb and will last many years. As I believed when I first opened the box, this pen is a keeper.

Nib (5/5)

The nib is a bright spot for this pen. Its appearance from topside is simple, clean, and bright. It was also nice to discover that ink wipes cleanly off the nib when filling. I didn’t have to wipe two or three times to get it all. Once did the trick.

The tipping material is large and generous, making the Basilea a great candidate for modification to a stub or italic. A specialty nib would make the Basilea an instant favorite, given its already comfortable feel in hand.

The nib wrote a generally wet line, although there was just a hint of baby bottom visible through my 30x loupe. While there was no skipping, the subtle curvature of each tip allowed me to feel the nib moving across paper. I like buttery smooth. Absolute glass. I’ll get it there, one day. But for now, I’m just going to keep filling and writing!

After a week of use, I sent the pen to Pendemonium for regrinding to a cursive italic. This was a bargain. Cost was under $25.00 and turnaround time was less than two weeks. The result was a nice cursive italic. It wrote well – yet best of all, the loupe revealed the work of an expert. The geometry of the grind was uniform and was nicely smoothed at the point of transition from tipping to nib. The cursive italic made all the difference. This pen is here to stay.

After a few months with the cursive italic nib, I am glad I had it reground. Its previous medium was just too wet and wide. The cursive italic is perfect.

Filling System. (5/5)

The captive converter remains my only anxiety about the pen. It draws a healthy quantity of ink, and the gradual reduction in flow as it nears empty reminds me that it’s time to fill again. Still, I prefer an ink window or some means of visual assessment. Others’ reports of converter failure requiring a trip to Italy leave me hoping I never have to do this. But, given the pen’s overall quality and comfort, I won’t be upset.

The pens holds enough ink for nearly a week of regular work. I can tell when a refill is needed, as flow slowly decreases. The change in flow lets me know far enough ahead of time that I can refill at home before running out at work.

Cost and Value (5/5)

I bought the pen used for less than retail, and given its high marks in appearance, quality, and performance, I think the Basilea is a great pen and a respectable value – even at retail. It’s a lifetime pen, not a showpiece or collector’s item. And certainly not a child’s pen. I’m not even sure if it’s a pen for teens. The Basilea seems to be solidly middle-age and proud of it. I’m certainly a fan!

The Basilea is a great value and should not be overlooked.

Conclusion (5/5)

I’m very pleased with the Basilea, and look forward to years of writing with it. It’s appearance, utility, and quality have won my affection and respect.

Fully satisfied in every way. I do not foresee trading the pen.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• alvarez57

• lowks

• Doug C

Glad to hear that you like your Marlen.

I have had several and they have all been great pens.

One of the great secrets in fountain pens.

the Danitrio Fellowship

I agree with Doug C.

Marlens don't get talked about enough.

I have this pen, and love it. I might just have to ink it this week and bring it to work.

Great review!

John

"Churn the Butter"

I have a Bailea as well. Very nice pen and a good nib. Before I picked one up I heard that they write wet so I got a fine. It writes more like a medium. Your nib modification sounds great. Maybe I'll get a red body Basilea in medium or broad and get a re-grind too.

Thanks for posting.

It is a beautiful pen. Mine "tweaks" a bit but nevertheless writes very smoothly.

Enjoy your pen.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

I just got my self the same pen like 3 days ago. Totally agree! Great pen!!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

It is a beautiful pen. Mine "tweaks" a bit but nevertheless writes very smoothly.

Enjoy your pen.

What does "tweak" mean?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Thank you for the review.

How about some pictures ?

I dont even know what this pen looks like!!!

Respect to all

My Basilea's F nib has a nice degree of flex. A pleasant surprise!

Enjoy your pen.

What does "tweak" mean?

A little noise that could be annoying when you write with it :glare: , but again, it is such a nice writer that I don't mind it. I think the noise comes from the vibration of the tines. I sent it to be fixed and now makes less noise.

sonia alvarez

Here you go! (And me, who does not like to post pictures, oh no... :rolleyes: )

http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/44899/2968352470105226730S500x500Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb37.webshots.com/45604/2167160360105226730S500x500Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/5812/2380905710105226730S500x500Q85.jpg

There is also one in red with black and silver accents.

sonia alvarez

Here you go! (And me, who does not like to post pictures, oh no... :rolleyes: )

http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/44899/2968352470105226730S500x500Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb37.webshots.com/45604/2167160360105226730S500x500Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/5812/2380905710105226730S500x500Q85.jpg

There is also one in red with black and silver accents.

Thank you very much , what a great looking pen. Not too flashy but yet with a nice classic look. Me like :thumbup:

Respect to all

I'll bring one to the breakfast on Saturday Amir so you can give it a test drive.

Philip

www.scriptusinc.com

I'll bring one to the breakfast on Saturday Amir so you can give it a test drive.

Philip

Sweet, thanks Philip

Respect to all