Schneider Base

QuarkVI

Introduction

Found this pen online while hunting for an inexpensive fountain pen that would

take international cartridges. I tried a Pelikano but didn't get on with the

shape of the section and a few other features of the pen - I will try and compare

the two pens as they are competitors, so to speak, in this bracket/niche. Apologies

for the poor photos but my tripod and lights are packed away pending my move.

First Impressions

Wow - that's bigger than I thought it would be. For some reason I thought the pen

would be smaller since it takes international cartridges and is inexpensive. Once

held in the hand it felt a lot bigger as well. The clip didn't surprise me as it

was one of the reasons I wanted to try this pen.

Appearance and Design

Really nice appearance. The plastic looks like it has some quality about it -

reminds me of the plastic used in the Lamy Safari and as such lifts it above

some of the other offerings in this price bracket. The two standout features of

this pen are the clip and shape of the section.

Firstly the clip:

It is a brute, ideal for someone who thinks the Safari clip is too shy and pathetic.

I quite happily clipped 50 pages into it and it didn't feel like it cared or

noticed. Despite this it doesn't distract from the pen as much as one might fear.

The section:

Noticeably bigger than anything else I have (Safari, P45) with a soft rubbery

material covering it. The biggest thing though is that the bottom of the

section is flat and due to the size it is quite noticeable. Seems to be a good

solution for those looking for an inexpensive pen with a big section.

If I were to be picky I would say that there is something about the section/nib

juncture design that looks a bit cheaper than the rest of the pen.

Don't know how to explain this, just seems like they could of done something

tidier. Or maybe I just don't like the shape of the nib.

Nib and Performance

The nib is a nail. It looks a bit like a Pelikano but feels even harder than a

Safari nib. Writes smoothly first time every time. It works. Only seems to be

available in M or left handed M. Doesn't inspire but how can you complain about

something that does what it was meant to do so well.

Filling System

International cartridge/converter. Will take a full size Waterman international

cartridge or two short ones back to back.

Cost and Value

RRP in the UK is GBP9.95 and hence a very good deal.

Compared to Pelikano

The clip is definitely stronger and more durable but also a lot more obvious. The cap

seems to clip on with a more pronounced and confidence inspiring click. As with the Pelikano

both pens have quirky sections. The plastic used on the Base is an improvement and the overall

design seems more serious and grown up. The nib on the Pelikano does provide more feedback.

Conclusion

I haven't held a Rotring 600 but if I wanted to stab someone or nail something to a desk

with a cheaper pen this feels like the one.

If I hadn't known the price of this pen I would've grouped it with the Lamy Safari. It is

surprisingly good and the best international cartridge pen under $20 I know of.

Seems to be an ideal student pen and the increased girth should make longer writing

sessions a breeze. Give it a go even if it is just to use up all the free Diamine carts

you got with your last ink purchase :-)

Photos

Firstly in the box and next to a Lamy Safari (Capped it is 4mm longer than the Safari but uncapped

it is 3mm shorter)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i15/Quark_VI/FPN/SchneiderBase/AllThree.jpg

Section size compared to a Lamy Safari

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i15/Quark_VI/FPN/SchneiderBase/SectionCompare.jpg

The flat underside of the section

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i15/Quark_VI/FPN/SchneiderBase/SectionSide.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a_m

• dzdncnfsd

• rockydoggy

• zdeveric

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for this review! While Schneider is on the market, little is said about them on FPN. I was glad to see this review.

thanx for the review, QVI! like Russ, i'm glad to see a review on these pens. if i remember correctly, isellpens.com had these a while back (i could be misstaken), but i passed the opportunity to getting one.

BTW, that is a huge clip!!!

thanx again. enjoy your pen.

Thanks for the excellent review of a good, solid, everyday fountain pen for work or for school. Your white Base looks cool!

I own two Base fountain pens (red & black) with fine (nail-like) nibs and they wrote well right out of the box. I got mine with Schneider converters (most any international-sized converter should do) and even bought the matching ball point pens (Schneider broad ball point refills are fantastic). I paid about U.S. $15 for each fountain pen and they could certainly compete with the Safari and Pelikano.

If one isn't always fervently seeking flexibility, the Schneider Base offers a nice, solid steel nib that will write consistently smoother than any rollerball--plus it will accept scores of ink colors.

Thanks again for reminding me of this terrific company!

Robert

Edited by Robert Alan

No matter where you go, there you are.

I've got a base myself, and it's a very good pen for the money: solid, comfortable in the hand, nice smooth nib. (The only thing I don't like is that you can't get a fine: you're stuck with a medium or a broad nib. They do a nice selection of left handed nibs, though, which is very impressive for a pen that inexpensive.)

Is it worth pointing out that you can get Bases which are cheaper still than the (rather flash looking) white and black ones? I think those are an extra quid or thereabouts.

Edited by dogpoet

I like the Base, too! I gave one a try, because it was one of the few affordable FP's that seemed "ergonomic", with its rubbery and "triangular" style grip. I don't like the ink much, but I plan to use it up before trying new inks in it (I'm fairly new to fp's, so not quite savvy enough yet to be mixing various inks w/ various pens/nibs, etc.).

Surprisingly, the M point is on the fine side! It certainly seems finer than an M on the Lamy Safari, for example.

While I am quite happy with this pen, I still want it in an F nib - and I found some (deutschepens.com)! I know - I also thought it was only available in M or left-hand - so too bad I bought this M one before I found the F ones online. But this was a good introduction - I just wish that there were "spare parts" sold for this pen, so I could switch out the M nib for an F one. Dangit.

I like the all white/all black ones more than the red and blue ones with the see-through windows. The white and black ones just look classier. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the e-tailer has F nibs for both black and white! :crybaby: haha

I hope I can get some of the F ones soon, so that I can enjoy this pen even more than I do now. I'd say this pen is comparable to the Lamy NEXX, which I also like alot (but it wasn't available in EF nib, so I have to figure out how to switch the nib to EF - and I'm only an fp novice!! Wah!). :blink:

Edited by dzdncnfsd

While I am quite happy with this pen, I still want it in an F nib - and I found some (deutschepens.com)! I know - I also thought it was only available in M or left-hand - so too bad I bought this M one before I found the F ones online. But this was a good introduction - I just wish that there were "spare parts" sold for this pen, so I could switch out the M nib for an F one. Dangit.

I like the all white/all black ones more than the red and blue ones with the see-through windows. The white and black ones just look classier. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the e-tailer has F nibs for both black and white!

Hello again! 'Glad to hear that deutschepens.com is back on-line. I was a customer a couple of years ago, but the catalog-style site went off-line, and, I guess, the company regrouped, and, now, have several lines of German writing instruments available again.

I also have the Skribant and Designa fountain pens, but, at the time, I could only get them in medium. At present, it looks like the heftier Designa is available in fine, medium and broad--like the Base, but the lighter, basic Skribant is only available in medium. Of the three models of fountain pens, I think the Base is the best design. However, I really like the "Designa" ball point with solid, steel spring-loaded clip like the Lamy 2000.

The Designa and Base fountain pens are the same price, U.S. $15.95, and the Skribant is $12.95.

I have no association with Deutsche Pens, but, as a customer, I have received excellent service from them. BTW, from time to time, they have Montblancs for sale at excellent prices (yes, they are authentic--check the misc. section).

Cheers, Robert

I like the Base, too! I gave one a try, because it was one of the few affordable FP's that seemed "ergonomic", with its rubbery and "triangular" style grip. I don't like the ink much, but I plan to use it up before trying new inks in it (I'm fairly new to fp's, so not quite savvy enough yet to be mixing various inks w/ various pens/nibs, etc.).

Surprisingly, the M point is on the fine side! It certainly seems finer than an M on the Lamy Safari, for example.

I like the all white/all black ones more than the red and blue ones with the see-through windows. The white and black ones just look classier. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the e-tailer has F nibs for both black and white! :crybaby: haha

I hope I can get some of the F ones soon, so that I can enjoy this pen even more than I do now. I'd say this pen is comparable to the Lamy NEXX, which I also like alot (but it wasn't available in EF nib, so I have to figure out how to switch the nib to EF - and I'm only an fp novice!! Wah!). :blink:

Cool! I had no idea they did the pen in fine. (Perhaps they only export the medium and broads because everyone in Britain and America is happy with those fat Parker mediums?)

I own two Base fountain pens (red & black) with fine (nail-like) nibs and they wrote well right out of the box.

Robert Alan - can you tell us where you found your fine point Bases at? I hope it's somewhere that we can still get them from. :)

(Perhaps they only export the medium and broads because everyone in Britain and America is happy with those fat Parker mediums?)

As a pen lover in the US, I'm always struggling with the lack of finer-pointed pens in the general marketplace. I guess that would be one of the benefits of living in Asia (or would that be only certain parts of Asia?) - more excellent fine-pointed pens everywhere! :)

Edited by dzdncnfsd

• 3 weeks later...
I own two Base fountain pens (red & black) with fine (nail-like) nibs and they wrote well right out of the box.

Robert Alan - can you tell us where you found your fine point Bases at? I hope it's somewhere that we can still get them from. :)

Hello again! 'Sorry I didn't get right back to you. Check this site:

http://www.shop.deutschepens.com/main.sc

The owner, Ray Adair, is a really helpful guy and he ships fast. I have no association with him or Deutsche Pens, but I have been very pleased with his service.

Enjoy!

Robert Alan

• 1 month later...

FYI - Cultpens.com just added some new BASE colors - I'm jazzed about the Apple (bright green) and Boysenberry (purple-reddish). I plan to get them soon, even though they still aren't offered in F point on their website (maybe they're not available at all). The Base is just good enough all around that I'd still get a few more - now that they have some cool colors!

Cultpens also just added Schneider's ID fp's - looks a bit different from the Base, but probably overall a very similar functional build to the pen.

• 1 month later...

I have the Base in white and black, and they are REALLY smooth writers. It might be blasphemous to say so, but I prefer the Schneider Base M nib to the Lamy Safari/Vista M nib. I wish it came in other nib sizes, but in the meantime, it does pretty well for its price point.

The simplicity of the pen's body plus that lovely large clip really attracted me. I don't like the silver as much because when the surface is scratched it's so obvious.

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

I have the Base in white and black, and they are REALLY smooth writers. It might be blasphemous to say so, but I prefer the Schneider Base M nib to the Lamy Safari/Vista M nib. I wish it came in other nib sizes, but in the meantime, it does pretty well for its price point.

I agree. I'm actually pretty content with the Base's M, so I'm not that anal about getting them in F after all. I have one Lamy M (Safari) - and it writes quite a bit wider than the Base M. The Lamy M is a bit too wide for my liking.

I agree. I'm actually pretty content with the Base's M, so I'm not that anal about getting them in F after all. I have one Lamy M (Safari) - and it writes quite a bit wider than the Base M. The Lamy M is a bit too wide for my liking.

Imagine if the Base had other nib sizes! I'd probably collect them all! :D

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

• 3 years later...
1364783255[/url]' post='2646897']

Old post, but I'm "reviving" it as I am purchasing one of these pens secondhand but unused. Writing samples, anyone? :)

I don't have writing samples, but I have 4 of these (all left-handed version). It's a fabulous pen.

I think the nib is great, very smooth and everytime I go back to using one of them, it feels like coming home. Te nib is a M in my opinion but slightly finer than a Safari.

I think there is no better value for money pen around.

This pen, in blue, is the one that converted me from ballpoints to fountain pens. Mine was a bit leaky - may need to drag it back out of the drawer and see if I can correct that. It has one of the smoothest, "buttery," nibs I've ever used.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png Life's too short to write with anything but a fountain pen!

I have a Base and a Scribant plus two other Schneider pens. One with a folded nib. All write smoothly out of the box and start immediately. The obly gripe I have is the Scribant has a cap that gets loose after many uses (mine was bought early 1990's).

The Base and Safari are quite close in size and shape almost as of they are the result of the same market research.