Noodler's Kiowa Pecan

hcsk8ter

Hi.

I decided to review my recently attained Noodler's Kiowa Pecan.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/989/img0887r.jpg

In a nutshell, its a nice deep brown, not waterproof, and has a bit of a drying time, but it's worth the wait. :notworthy1:

Edited by hcsk8ter

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apotheosis

• angusdegraosta

• Raiche58

• kathleen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a load of Kiowa Pecan in my Parker 51 aerometric just now. It's the only brown I have and I like it very much. I agree that the drying time can be long, so prospective users should factor that into their thinking on this ink. But if you want a nice rich brown, you can't miss with this one.

Thanks for the nice review!

Happiness is an Indian ED!

This looks a lot like Sailor Brown, which dries rather quickly. It might be a good alternative for left-handed writers.

One of my favorite inks, I like it so much I haven't (yet) seen the need to look for a different brown. Nice penmanship, Apotheosis!

Robert M. Kerwin

• 4 weeks later...

One of my favorite brown too. It's always appealing looking at the beautiful shading.

C-H

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, very challenging for lefties. I got the Kiowa Pecan and it smears often. Beautiful color, though!

Edited by angusdegraosta

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab19/yuckkie/Scribblings/DSC03847.jpg

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab19/yuckkie/Scribblings/0133.jpg

Love the color and shading of this ink. I just received some Noodler's Cayenne, an interesting red/orange ink, that I thought I would like, but I wish I had purchased this Pecan instead, it is quite lovely.

Apotheosis, I really admire your penmanship, simply wonderful, very elegant while still very legible.

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

• 6 months later...

Is that golden/yellow highlight in the Kiowa Pecan really there or just my monitor's tuning? Thanks!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png When one is too old for love, one finds great comfort in good dinners. Zora Neale Hurston

I seriously considered this ink when I was looking for a nicely shading brown, though I ultimately went with Diamine golden brown.

I see it has a bit of yellow hue to it (at least on my monitor), is there any color shift as the ink is put down and dries? My diamine GB goes down with a bit of yellow which quickly darkens to a darker golden hue.

Thanks for the review, yet another ink for my wish list!

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Yup, very challenging for lefties. I got the Kiowa Pecan and it smears often. Beautiful color, though!

No problems for this lefty underwriter with Kiowa Pecan.

I have a bottle at home and a bottle of Waterman Havana Brown at the office and refill my Delta Oro DV Oversize wherever i happen to be.

Wow, what a pretty ink and gorgeous shading! Thanks for the great review! I hadn't considered this ink before, but now it looks like there'll be another brown ink in my future, heh!

eta: Oh, I'm a "hook-over" lefty and manage with wet inks just fine that way. Other lefties, though...

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

• 3 years later...

Great penmanship!

I my experience, this brown looks very similar to J. Herbin Lie De The, especially with the yellow undertones.

Has anybody had the opportunity to compare these inks? Is there much difference?

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."

- T.E Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia)

I'm not really a brown ink person and have never considered Kiowa Pecan but your review puts it in the realm of possibilities for me. Also, I really like your writing. :wub:

www.lettermatters.com

P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

Great penmanship!

I my experience, this brown looks very similar to J. Herbin Lie De The, especially with the yellow undertones.

Has anybody had the opportunity to compare these inks? Is there much difference?

They are similar color-wise but are clearly different. Lie de the has this greenish tone, which is absent in Kiowa Pecan. This is noticeable in dry broad nibs. In wet nibs, however, the high saturation masks all the subtleties and these two inks look quite similar.

On the other hand, when it comes to other properties (flow, lubrication and so on) there are no many similarities between these inks.

• 2 months later...

Let me put a good word for slow drying inks. I like them to sketch because i can smear th elines and produce a soft effect you cannot produce with dry inks. Just think about it, sketchers! Love the color.

I am currently using Chesterfield's Mahogany and was looking for a darker ink to make contrasts, this could be it!.

Edited by Lamyrada

They are similar color-wise but are clearly different. Lie de the has this greenish tone, which is absent in Kiowa Pecan. This is noticeable in dry broad nibs. In wet nibs, however, the high saturation masks all the subtleties and these two inks look quite similar.

On the other hand, when it comes to other properties (flow, lubrication and so on) there are no many similarities between these inks.

I agree on the greenish tone. Kiowa Pecan is warmer and to me has more depth. For me Kiowa wins out on the shading, too - really beautiful.

post-115153-0-19542300-1410331582.jpg