Wality 70D eyedropper fill FP

ajcoleman

post-14764-1239492340_thumb.jpg

1. First Impressions (9)

The pen came nicely wrapped inside a black velvet drawstring pouch. The pen looked great. I first noticed that the metal cap seemed heavier relative to the light plastic body, making the pen feel a bit top heavy. I rinsed the nib/fee section, dried it a bit with a paper towel and put in Noodler's black. The pen started up immediately and wrote great, with an nice medium, somewhat wet line. I really liked it. Excellent first impression.

2. Appearance & Design (8)
The pen looks very nice, classic black on bottom, chrome on top, like a Parker Jotter or other classic ballpoint. No bling on this one, and unless they saw you writing with it, no one would think anything of it. It is a basic, professional, working pen. The fit and finish are very good for a pen of this price, and it feels really solid. The threads are very clean, and everything fits together well. The only flaw that I have noticed is that the small hole in the nib at the base of where the tines split has been double-punched. It appears someone missed the center the first time. It does not appear to detract at all from the function of the nib.

post-14764-1239492396_thumb.jpg

3. Weight & Dimensions (9)

The pen is 5 3/4 inches (145 mm) long, and 6 5/8 inches (166 mm) posted. The body of the pen is very light. As mentioned, the metal cap seems heavier in comparison, but not uncomfortably so. The section is somewhat narrow, about 8 mm in diameter at the most narrow point, with a slight taper, and just a very small flare at the nib end. The diameter of the section is smaller than many pens, only slightly larger than a pencil. I like the width a lot. The cap threads are about 3/4" from the end, so many may find the threads rest under their fingers when they grip the pen, but they are fine enough, they are not too uncomfortable.

4. Nib & Performance (10)

The nib is a two-tone steel medium nib. It writes very well, with a nice wet line. The line width seems to be a fairly true medium, though the wet line pushes it a bit to the broad side. It has written very consistently with no skips or blobs, and has just a bit of tooth. I am very happy with it.

5. Filling System (9) -

The pen is an eyedropper filler, and came with a one piece plastic eyedropper with a long thin tube. Filling is very simple and neat. No wiping the pen afterward! The only tricky part is judging how full the pen is. Putting black ink into a thin black tube, it is pretty hard to see how full it is. Just have to go slow. (Maybe the next time I will have to get one of their clear demonstrator style eyedropper pens....) I didn't measure the ink capacity, but I put at least 3 ml in it. It holds significantly more than a standard converter. The directions included with the pen said to keep the threads of the section lightly greased with silicon lubricant or even candle wax to make sure the pen doesn't leak. It arrived greased, and I have had no problems so far with leaks at all.

6. Cost & Value (10)

I bought this pen at Retrodesk.com for $16.95 plus shipping. I ordered it on Sunday and had it by Wednesday. This pen is an excellent value. Though my experience it limited, this pen seems to be of significantly higher quality than some of the Chinese pens in this price range.

7. Conclusion (9) -

post-14764-1239492373_thumb.jpg

I am very pleased with this pen. It is comfortable, nice looking, writes very well, and is easy to use. I would not hesitate to recommend this pen to any considering trying an eyedropper pen, or simply looking for a nice writing, modest looking everyday pen.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AJP

• MYU

• hari317

• ajcoleman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review. I actually picked up a Wality 69L Piston filler last week. I have to agree they are neat pens for the money, I was impressed. It wrote very smoothly out of the box after reducing it to an EF and smoothing it more, it is now smooth as silk. For $25 or less these pens seem like a good buy.... time will tell :)

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.” - Robert McClosky

Hi Adam,

Your review brought back a lot of memories. In June 2006, I visited Wality to order around a dozen personalised fountain pens on behalf of my Father who wanted to gift them to his colleagues before his retirement. At that time late Rajubhai (Mr Raju Mirchandani) showed me a few ballpoints that they had developed. One of these was this 70D ballpoint. I was immediately taken in by the cap design and requested him if he could make a FP version, well he did and I own the earliest prototypes and I am glad to note from your review that the FP version has entered regular production.

Regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.