Mont Blanc Black Ink

RLTodd

For color correction: The paper is Clairefontane Triomphe, line 3 is Parker Quink Black, and line 7 is Noodlers Standard Black.

After use, my only reservation is the price issue. AIR, I paid something like $8 for it at the office supply store and the bottle is a rather small 50ml.

Edited by RLTodd

YMMV

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• leicamaster

• watch_art

• RLTodd

Hi RLTodd,

Thank you for sharing! For easier viewing I made your scan a little less wide:

post-35-1145207630.jpg

My biggest worry with this ink has always been the fact that it isn't very dense indeed. The colour often ends up as dark grey, unless you use a very wet pen. I do like the bottles a lot, though :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Thank you for posting that.

I have Aurora black, a much darker black (see prior ink review), but

I like the MB black too, because, I'm partial to watercolory inks.

• 4 weeks later...

I find the MB black works best in my Spalding 208, although I'd like to find a less expensive ink for what was, after all, a $40 pen. ;)

• 4 months later...

I finally bought a bottle today!

It is in fact lighter than Aurora, something I wanted.

I generally prefer less saturated, more watercolory inks.

The MB black also generates a finer line than Aurora black (the Aurora

is a very fast flowing ink), another property I wanted for a particular pen.

So I'm very pleased!

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice topic. Two of my daily use ink.

I use the Montblanc ink only in my Meisterstuck (call me paranoid but there isn't any other ink I would trust in my MB). It writes with a nice crisp black stroke and I think there is something satisfying about watching a FP produce a nice wet word and then watching that dry. I just love the shape of that bottle.

The quink on the other hand is a brilliant ink and I have been using it in all of my Parkers, Waterman's, Sheaffers, Pelikans, Heros and without any problems. I have been using quick for nearly 10 years now and I just love the smell of it.

I am a very difficult person to please and I must say both have pleased me. However, I have been using Quink for 10 years, now thats something!!

Nice review of my favourite black ink. I've got two bottles, one at home, the other on my desk at work. Second favourite, for when I don't want feathering on certain papers, (and am willing to give up shading) is Higgins Fountain Pen India Ink --- sure wish I could find an ink which combines the best of both.

William

Just got a bottle with my 145. It does smell pretty nice! I mean, it's by no means a flowery or fruity smell, but it smells nice and inky without being too pungent! It flows pretty well and I also love watching it dry!

My humble stable: Parker Duofold Centennial GT, Pilot 823 & 742, Conway Stewart 27 Plum Hatched, Pelikan M600, Faber Castell Ambition, Platinum PTL-5000, Kaweco Classic Sport, a small herd of Lamy Safari/Al-Star/Joy, a clutch of Parker 51 aeros and vacs, and a bunch of Pilot 78G

Inks from any of the major manufacturers will be just fine in a Meisterstuck or any other MB.

Inks containing reds from any manufacturer may stain the ink windows in piston-fill pens.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

• 2 years later...

MB Black used to be my standard until I discovered Aurora Black and J. Herbin Perle Noire. These latter two are the only blacks I now use on a regular basis.

I used MB black for many years in my MB pens until finding Aurora black. It's a very nice all-round ink and I do like the practical bottle design!

I bought a bottle of this recently, for the bottle. Made the mistake of trying the ink out, and now I need to wait until it's gone before I rinse and reuse the nice "shoe" bottle.

It's not the darkest black, by far, but it flows very well and performs admirably on many papers. I have a couple fine nibs that prefer it over more saturated inks.

I hate this ink. The worst ink ive ever tried. I have several cartridges and damn are they bad

What in particular do you not like about the ink? What ink(s) do you compare it to and ultimately prefer?

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I hate this ink. The worst ink ive ever tried. I have several cartridges and damn are they bad

What in particular do you not like about the ink? What ink(s) do you compare it to and ultimately prefer?

Its not even black its grey. (atleast in cartridge). My favorite ink is Noodlers Old Manhattan and Pelikan Blue Black. Pelikan Brilliant Black is also nice

Art History and Philosophy student. Photographer: https://www.flickr.com/photos/leicamaster

In my Dumas, medium nib, bottled MB black is as black as a raven's wing. The look of some inks vary quite alot depending on the pen in my experience. Never tried the cart.

Quite a dark black, with some shading, as long as it's used in a wet writer. Nice flow, and easily cleaned up. However, I wouldn't have got it if it wasn't for the bottle...my favorite modern style.

• 1 year later...

Won't disagree about the ink, but the bottle is really nice for pen filling with other inks.

MB Black used to be my standard until I discovered Aurora Black and J. Herbin Perle Noire. These latter two are the only blacks I now use on a regular basis.

Ditto... but I discovered those two first, and then chucked their MB blacks (new and old) later.

The only other blacks I consider to hang onto are Old Manhattan, HOD and Invincible.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)