J. Herbin Orange Indien Fountain Pen Ink Review

officesupplygeek

J. Herbin Orange Indien Fountain Pen Ink Review

For full size photos and captions you can see the original view on my blog:

http://officesupplygeek.com/ink-review/j-h...pen-ink-review/

http://officesupplygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/j-herbin-orange-indien-bottle-300x225.jpg

Over on the Quo Vadis Blog they had an offer to try some of their fountain pen ink, so naturally I jumped on the chance to get a free sample to try out and review. This was especially nice since they were offering up colors that I might not particularly go right out and buy because much of my writing is done in a business setting. Either way, it was very generous of them to offer the opportunity to try out these inks because regardless of my normal every day use, I do like to have other options for when the occasion allows.

On most sites that I looked on, they offer the 30 ml bottles of J. Herbin ink for around $7.20 to $9.00 plus any applicable shipping and taxes.

http://officesupplygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/j-herbin-orange-indien-inside-bottle-300x225.jpg

Just a quick peek inside of the bottle because I always think it is helpful to see the ink as it is collected on the inside of the lid, and the mouth of the bottle, plus I just like the J. Herbin fountain pen ink bottles because they are so compact and cool looking. There are various things that I like about some of the different brands of fountain pen ink bottles, but a little part of me does wish that they were all the same size and shape so that it was easier and more aesthetically pleasing to store them in a common and out in the open place.

http://officesupplygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/j-herbin-orange-indien-writing-sample-rhodia-206x300.jpg

The writing sample that I did with the Orange Indien ink was in my small Rhodia notebook. I really like the way this ink looks, it has a nice bright, (but not too bright) color to it, I was thinking it might end up being darker once on paper, but I was pleasantly surprised by the results. You can also see that in a quick drying test, it only took about 2-3 seconds to dry on the Rhodia paper. The writing experience with this ink was also very nice because it seems to lay down very clean and smooth lines with minimal if any bleeding or feathering. I usually examine the writing samples under 20x magnification, and even that close up, the lines were very clean. In the writing sample above, I used my Lamy Studio with the Extra Fine nib to test this ink with, and was very happy with the extremely limited amount of nib creep that I saw even after toting the pen back and forth to work in my laptop bag for a few days.

As I said initially in this review, I dont typically think of any shade of orange as something Id use for my normal note taking at work, but that certainly does not mean that this ink wont be put to good use. This ink has got me thinking that using a unique color for any kind of hand written note, card, or correspondence gives it a much more personal touch instead of the usual black or blue inks that most people use. I have a feeling that getting a nice hand written note with a different color would probably make that correspondence much more memorable to whomever the recipient is. I probably wouldnt use it for a thank you note for a job interview (unless I interviewed with HomeDepot) but there are plenty of great opportunities that Im looking forward to for using this ink. Thanks to the folks over at the Quo Vadis blog for opening my eyes to such a great fountain pen ink, I’m excited to get to use this again soon.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• officesupplygeek

• Parker Quink Turquoise

• kookychick

• dannyboy

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the orange ink that I use in the fall.Have been very pleased with it.

Thanks for the review.

Seasonal ink, now there is a good idea. :)

I usually use different colours at different times of the year.Green around St. Patrick's Day,purple for Easter,orange in the fall and red for Christmas.

Parker Quink Turquoise,Sheaffer Peacock Blue and Herbin Bleu Pervenche for all around general use.

Love the mannequin hand holding the ink bottle! :lol: Thanks for the great review!

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook

I like the somewhat subdued intensity of this orange. Here in Tennessee orange is the rage: Big Orange Country it's called! So I guess I will have to try this shade of orange ink. Thank you for a really good review.

I also like this ink. I look upon it as a "conservative orange" -- not too flashy, but with good colour nonetheless.

Seasonal ink, now there is a good idea. :)

I usually use different colours at different times of the year.Green around St. Patrick's Day,purple for Easter,orange in the fall and red for Christmas.

Parker Quink Turquoise,Sheaffer Peacock Blue and Herbin Bleu Pervenche for all around general use.

Cool idea, it adds a nice personal touch to things I bet. I may have to consider that...if for no other reason its an excuse to try more ink. :)

Love the mannequin hand holding the ink bottle! :lol: Thanks for the great review!

Glad you like the review and the hand...I get mixed reaction on the hand...some think its creepy.

I like the somewhat subdued intensity of this orange. Here in Tennessee orange is the rage: Big Orange Country it's called! So I guess I will have to try this shade of orange ink. Thank you for a really good review.

That is another good reason to use the orange, all those Vols fans out there probably like it. Thanks for the positive feedback, I appreciate it.

I also like this ink. I look upon it as a "conservative orange" -- not too flashy, but with good colour nonetheless.

I know what you were saying. I had a preconceived notion that orange inks would look like highlighter ink or something but it really is nothing like that.

Yes, this is another of my favorite oranges. Thanks!

diane

"... because I am NOT one of your FANZ!" the INTP said to the ESFJ.