4 Crab Hallmarks On The Cup, Why?

H1N

Hello

Here is the S T Dupont fountain pen from the past, gold plated over 925 silver with 18k solid gold nib,

my friend Jar name it ( Vermeil ) I don't know what or why!

the big question here, why this pen has 4 crab stamps on its cup ( one crab wasn't enough? ) I guess Crab is guarantee stamp of some kind of french silver but the other ( wing stamp ) have no idea about it

Date of manufacture: unknown

Other details: unknown

plz feel free to share us your opinion

thank you

Edited by H1N

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• H1N

• jar

• Keyless Works

• Ernst Bitterman

Top Posters In This Topic

The wing stamps are just maker marks standing for ST Dupont. Crab Feast for the others. Vermeil just is a term for Sterling silver that has a gold overlay.

Thanks friend , you're always there to give me the answers, but what about the main question, why did they have to put 4 Crab stamps on the cup (1 Crab wasn't enough to give the message?), even the date of manufacture, do you thinks it's 70s or something else?
I know it's not your business but your are the only expert of Dupont on here, so...
Edited by H1N

Thanks friend , you're always there to give me the answers, but what about the main question, why did they have to put 4 Crab stamps on the cup (1 Crab wasn't enough to give the message?), even the date of manufacture, do you thinks it's 70s or something else?
I know it's not your business but your are the only expert of Dupont on here, so...

My guess would be 70s-80s for a date. The multiple crab stampings definitely would be an error, particularly when they overstamp engravings. I cannot imagine your pen getting through ST Dupont's quality control and reaching the retail market and that model is one that has been faked a lot. I hope it is really what it seems to be but I would be very suspicious.

My Website

Having a look here; might they be Minerva rather than a crab?

EDITED AFTER H1N RESPONSE BELOW:

Ah-hah! This page has more French creatures-- crabs (with somewhat difficult-to-read detail) included. If it's to be believed, they stopped using it in 1972, and it suggests 800 rather than 925 silver content. Perhaps it got repeated so frequently in an attempt to underline the disagreement with the number in the impression.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

My guess would be 70s-80s for a date. The multiple crab stampings definitely......

I'm not an expert in history of old fountain pens like you, but my work is to identify the real thing from the non real things especially when there is another piece to compare, this is my job in daily life and that's why I post all that kinds of FB pictures on the network actually to collect data as much as I can for the future traditional museum in our town, after some net searching I found a model exactly like the one we have here, as they show percent size, numbers, tamps, nib, except Crab stamp, I didn't recognize it
Note: the previous owner of this ST Dupont was a very rich gentle man, I don't think he bought from any places rather than Official Trademark Shops

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-T-Dupont-fountain-pen-gold-plated-on-solid-925-silver-B-18k-nib-near-mint-/161041169591

Edited: the pictures below belong to our FP

Edited by H1N

Having a look here; might they be Minerva rather than a crab?

It's so small to be seen clearly in photo, I think that the 2 dark stamps in the first picture seem to be edited lately to the cup, they are more sharp and deep which can be seen easily while the 2 other standard Crab are not seen by the eye, might the owner has asked the agent for that to show that he carry on ( Vermeil ) Maybe.

Interesting pen. I don't know anything about old S.T. Duponts but my first thought is that the section looks cheap and quite unlike anything S.T. Dupont has put out in the last 15 or so years I have been using fountain pens.

Assuming 1972 or earlier is correct (see above speculation about the crabs), the look of the section isn't too much out of keeping with what Waterman was up to at its higher end... although I'll freely admit that the early '70s in Europe are a very dim area in my scholarship.

H1N, on 20 Aug 2014 - 14:32, said:snapback.png

ppl, hope you understand my little English :)

You are doing just fine communicating.

Agreed :thumbup:

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Not 100% certain what that means (I guess maybe in terms of general designs and such?), but two of my favorite pens are from the 70s :D

I just mean the designs weren't that exciting. In the 1960s-70s ballpoint had overtaken fountain pens and I think most people started losing interest in fountain pens and just pens in general because a ballpoint in a lot of ways is a white good like a toaster...it has no "soul" as ridiculous as that sounds.

I just mean the designs weren't that exciting. In the 1960s-70s ballpoint had overtaken fountain pens and I think most people started losing interest in fountain pens and just pens in general because a ballpoint in a lot of ways is a white good like a toaster...it has no "soul" as ridiculous as that sounds.

Ahh I see.

Perfectly happy with my Montblanc 225 (platinated) and Pilot Elite Mini (18K Soft Fine) From that era... but yea it does seem like if you seen one you seen em all. Might explain why anything 60s and before seems more attractive, but not so much between 70s-80s.

Edited by KBeezie