Leaking Estie J

Ellen

My Esterbrook J leaks. It leaks between the nib and the barrel (the black plastic piece that you hold when writing, this is the barrel isn't it?).

It does this for some time now, so it must be a leaking ink sac (as far as I know it still has the original sac) or a broken section (?).

Is there anyone (preferable European) who can see what the problem is and will repair it for me? I know Esties can be repaired pretty easily, but I don't have the materials and to be fair; I have two left hands; I just don't think I can do it....

I hope someone can help me out with this one!!

2009 doesn't start well; not only my Estie is leaking, also my precious Pelikan 120 needs repair... :crybaby:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png fpn_1315221373__inkdroplogofpn.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Catsmelt

• leroy

• Ellen

• OcalaFlGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be something as simple as your nib not being screwed in tight enough (but not too tight, of course!). Do you remove your nib often (or, have you ever removed your nib)?

One other hint at a simple solution: place a small bit of silicone grease on the threads of the nib prior to screwing the nib in. This may prevent the ink from making it out on to the nib area.

Unless you also notice that ink floods your feed (the black part with the "fins" underneath your nib), I think you could exclude the possibility of having a hole in your in sac.

I'd be interested in what others have to say -- I sometimes have this problem and I'm sure there are other solutions.

Edited by Catsmelt

I cannot stress enough that I think ANYONE who has both arms (ONE might even do) and isn't a paraplegic

can resac an Estie. If *I* can do it, ANYONE can do it. I have the mechanical aptitude of a small appliance

bulb and my one redeeming mechanical skill is to know when, if I do one more thing, I'll wreck it beyond

all repair. (Not really *that* bad of a one skill to have...)

If you only want to try a pen or two, you CAN be really frugal about it if you want.

I'd probably get 3 or 4 sacs to start with. Shipped, 4 sacs would be about $10. Most all of us know someone

who does woodworking you could borrow an oz or two of shellac from (FREE). Most everyone has some

place nearby where people shoot pool. Good excuse for a cold beer and to go in and take an envelope

with you to get a tablespoon or two of talc from their talc cone (again, FREE!). I know most everyone

has a bicycle shop nearby (certianly in the Netherlands, I KNOW they do!) a couple pieces out of a old

discarded bicycle inner tube make the perfect section/barrel gripper material (more FREE!) That's really

all the materials you need. If you ordered 4 sacs, you'd have enough to do 4 pens for about $2.50 a pen.

I probably spent about 50 times longer than actually doing the first resac just going thru the whole

forum here and reading any post about resaccing. There are alot of great tips that make things a little

easier and for me, gave me Just Enough confidence to know I could do it myself.

PS I think most people refer to the black part the nib screws into (and the sac goes onto) as "the section".

The barrel is the longest part of the pen the cap goes onto.

Maybe you and Tawanda can get together for a visit and a Estie resaccing party. (No, seriously. I mean it!)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

• 3 weeks later...

Another solution is to use some beeswax or paraffin on the threads just like you would with the silicone grease. Just take the nib out and rub the threads of the nib on a bit of beeswax or paraffin and screw the nib back in the pen. I've fixed several leakers this way. This trick was picked up from the Esterbrook forum. I naturally can't remember who -- old age is terrible!!! PS --- THIS ONLY WORKS IF THE SAC IS GOOD!!!

Regards,

LEROY

Edited by leroy

"Let your light shine out...." Old mountain gospel tune

Leroy