Review: Fabriano Quadrato Artist's Journal

biffybeans

Click here for full review with pictures

Fabriano Quadrato Artist's Journal in the upper right corner.

From the Blick site:

"This square version of Fabriano's famous Italian fine art journal consists of the most popular range of Ingres laid papers in beautiful neutral tones. Fabriano Quadrato is ideal for charcoal, pastel, pencil, and ink. Colors include Warm White, Hazel Brown, Ash, Felt Blue, Light Green, and Ivory. Each pad contains 96 acid-free pages. 90 gsm."

Book has an unfinished ribbon bookmark.

6x6" $16.82

9x9" $25.19

The Quadrato is on the top, the multi-colored Artist's Journal in the middle, and the regular Artist's Journal on the bottom. Covers are a thick cardstock. This square Fabriano journal lies flat, but does not open flat.

Fountain Pen inks in a Fabriano Quadrato

It might be hard to tell from my scan, but this paper is pale green in color. Fountain pen nibs wrote true to size. No feathering, no spreading, no bleed through with any inks tested. Paper is mold made and laid, so there is a texture to the paper that's not unpleasant to write on. Laid texture is more pronounced on the reverse side of the paper.

Ink & Pencil Mandala

Mandala created with a Faber Castell Pitt Pen, then colored in with Prismacolor pencils. The pencils work very nicely on this paper. Nice depth from the laid texture.

Frustration Mandala

Mandala drawn with a fountain pen - I think it's a Pen & Ink brand EF pen filled with Private Reserve Arabian Rose Ink. Colored in with Prismacolor pencils.

Brush Pen Mandala

Mandala created with Faber Castell Pitt Artist Brush Pens. They work super smooth on this paper, and I experienced no bleed through.

Neocolor II Mandala

Mandala created with Caran d' Ache Neocolor II water soluble crayons. (I did not add water to this image) Neocolor II's are highly pigmented crayons that work great on all colors of paper - even black.

Pitt Pen Mandala

Mandala drawn with a Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pen. My favorite permanent drawing pen. (Non solvent based.)

Pitt Pen Mandala

Another mandala drawn with a Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pen.

Oopsie Watercolor Mandala

Again, it might be hard to tell, but this image was created on the beige colored paper. Artist grade watercolors applied with a Niji Waterbrush. Paper takes paints well, but the page will curl & eventually feel brittle. Close the book when dry and it will flatten out. Outlined (when dry) with a Faber Castell Pitt Pen.

Derwent Inktense Mandala

Lastly, this mandala was drawn with the Pitt pen, and then colored in with Derwent Inktense pencils. Water was applied with a Niji Waterbrush. Actual image is darker than scan shows. Paper again curled, but overall, it took the pencils/water quite well.

In closing, Fabriano makes wonderful paper that works well with so may different types of media. My only concern is that the flexible cardboard covers get kind of beat up looking over time. I wish they would create a longer lasting cover because these books are not inexpensive, and the quality of the paper is sure to lead you to creating some magnificent art. The cover should reflect the quality found therein. An elastic closure would knock this book out of the park.

Highly recommended.

Buy at:

New York Central Art Supply

Blick

Or click Here for a store near you.

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• biffybeans

• Jared

• stevlight

• bitterwonder

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellant review of one of my favorite journals.

I use a large binder clip on the edge to keep it closed (I carry it around with me).

I love the buckly quality when used with wet media.

Thank you.

Thank you! Isn't Fabriano's product wonderful?

Excellant review of one of my favorite journals.

I use a large binder clip on the edge to keep it closed (I carry it around with me).

I love the buckly quality when used with wet media.

Thank you.

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

How does this paper compare to the "Glorious" Fabriano Venezia paper (which seems quite thick, given that there are only 48 pages of 200g paper per book)?

Also, between the Fabriano and the Kunst & Papier paper, which is your favorite for fountain pens? I do like your watercolor mandalas, but I'm afraid that I don't take those into account when selecting paper for my pens/ink.

Thank you for your excellent reviews!

Jared

Edited by Jared

The Moldmade laid paper in the Fabriano Artist's Journals is quite different than the paper in the Venezia. I think it's probably better for drawing/sketching with multi-media better than for fountain pen (journaling) use.

Of the two, Venezia paper is probably better for journaling/art journaling.

I think I've tested 3 different K&P products to date. The paper in the Jumbo Soft book is probably better suited to media other than FP's. The paper in the K&P pocket journal was spectacular for FP use, but that paper is only in that size book. The paper in the K&P sketch journal was almost as good as in the pocket journal, but there is slight bleeding with my wider nibbed pans with highly saturated ink.

If all you do is write (as opposed to using other media) the K&P Sketch Journal or Pocket Journal would probably suit FP use better.

How does this paper compare to the "Glorious" Fabriano Venezia paper (which seems quite thick, given that there are only 48 pages of 200g paper per book)?

Also, between the Fabriano and the Kunst & Papier paper, which is your favorite for fountain pens? I do like your watercolor mandalas, but I'm afraid that I don't take those into account when selecting paper for my pens/ink.

Thank you for your excellent reviews!

Jared

I see that the pocket journal was 100g paper, but what was the paper weight of the sketch journal? I see that lots of sizes are available, but I wonder which product has which paper weight. I've emailed K&P about availability, and hope for a reply.

Thanks again.

The paper in the K&P sketch journal was almost as good as in the pocket journal, but there is slight bleeding with my wider nibbed pans with highly saturated ink.

Great review! I agree 100% with the comment on the cover not reflecting the quality of the paper inside--and an elastic. The cover is the only thing stopping me from buying this book--have looked at it many times. I carry my sketchbook around everyday so the cover has to be strong.

www.stevelightart.com

K&P sketch journals have 120gm hot press bright white paper. Sketch journals are not currently shown on the site. I've had a hard time getting responses from them via e-mail, but once when I called them, they returned my call rather quickly & were very nice.

I see that the pocket journal was 100g paper, but what was the paper weight of the sketch journal? I see that lots of sizes are available, but I wonder which product has which paper weight. I've emailed K&P about availability, and hope for a reply.

Thanks again.

The paper in the K&P sketch journal was almost as good as in the pocket journal, but there is slight bleeding with my wider nibbed pans with highly saturated ink.

Steve, if you go through journals fairly quickly, you might want to try one of the Quadratos because they have less pages. See how well the cover holds up. If all else fails, you could always cover it with duct tape. :D

Great review! I agree 100% with the comment on the cover not reflecting the quality of the paper inside--and an elastic. The cover is the only thing stopping me from buying this book--have looked at it many times. I carry my sketchbook around everyday so the cover has to be strong.

So the heavier weight paper bled, while the lighter weight paper didn't? Hmmm...must be something I don't understand.

K&P sketch journals have 120gm hot press bright white paper.

I see that the pocket journal was 100g paper...

Correct. Because it's probably not the same paper. I questioned it myself.

So the heavier weight paper bled, while the lighter weight paper didn't? Hmmm...must be something I don't understand.

K&P sketch journals have 120gm hot press bright white paper.

I see that the pocket journal was 100g paper...

Steve, if you go through journals fairly quickly, you might want to try one of the Quadratos because they have less pages. See how well the cover holds up. If all else fails, you could always cover it with duct tape.

DUCT TAPE??!! Perish the thought! I was thinking of making a cover for those though.

www.stevelightart.com

Nice review, Bif! I've always preferred Fabriano paper whether for writing, watercolors or pastels.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us