Review: Rag & Bone Journal

biffybeans

Click here for full review with pictures and special dicount code for the Rag & Bone website

From the Rag & Bone website: "By popular demand from fans and customers, we're making journals again. This 6 x 9, handbound journal with deckle edged, bright white pages was the first book I began selling as Rag & Bone Bindery almost 18 years ago.

Today, the journals are made in the exact same way as we made them back then: hand cut pages, beautiful covers and a "scritchy-scratchy" paper that's not too thick, not too soft and just right for ink, pencil & pen. "

About Us

"Located in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, Rag & Bone Bindery creates Photo Albums, Journals, Guest Books, Baby Books, and other fine bindings distinguished by their craftsmanship and enduring beauty.

We've been creating handbound books since 1991 in our Rhode Island based Bookbinding Studios.

"Made By Hands"

Skilled artisans handle every aspect of the production process from start to finish, resulting in quality, archival, well constructed books.

Our Books, Albums & Journals can be found in fine Gift Shops, Stationery Stores, Photo Studios and Galleries across America.

Not A Faceless Corporation

As a studio, we're dedicated to the fine art of Bookbinding, paper arts, book arts and journaling. We enjoy what we do and take pride in producing well bound books at an appropriate cost. Please browse our site to find out more about our products, who we are, what we do and where we work."

These beautiful hand made journals are available in a myriad of Cover Options. Red Rose is shown above.

The book does open flat, but needs just a bit of encouragement due to the weight of the paper. The spine is constructed to lie flat, and once you get past about 1/4 of the pages, the book will open and lie flat. The way the book is constructed, it is easy to write in on a flat surface, or "on the knee."

144 pages of acid free Lynx Opaque Recycled Smooth 65# Cover are what's in this journal. The paper is hand cut and hand sewn, very thick and very smooth. It feels like card stock. Of all tested fountain pens/inks, there was no bleeding, no see-through, feathering or spreading. Ink dries in about average time, but when in doubt use a blotter.

The paper is bright white and the edges are deckle edged. Rag & Bone calls the paper, "scritchy-scratchy" but I do not. I think it's very smooth and almost shiny.

The paper brings to my mind the thick paper used in the Moleskine Sketchbooks - but without the waxy covering. I find it to be a joy to write on, especially with the .07 cursive italic Pelikan M200.

I think these books would make fantastic keepsakes. A wonderful hand-made gift appropriate for graduation, weddings, birthdays, life transitions, holidays, etc.

Rag & Bone notes the paper as being appropriate for ink, pen and pencil, but I wanted to try it with several different kinds of media. I did not find the paper to be particularly responsive to watercolor, and I think it would only be suited for the lightest of washes.

This paper LOVES markers. (Sharpies did bleed through a little bit) Every marker tested flowed effortlessly over the paper.

I found this paper to be a bit too smooth for me to really enjoy using it with pencil. Not enough tooth. The softer pencils (8B) felt better but I personally would use this book primarily for marker and pen.

Tested with Caran D'Ache Neocolor II crayons. The crayons loved this paper. They are watersoluable and when washed with a brush, they responded better than when using regular watercolors. (The left hand side of this figure was washed with a Niji Waterbrush.)

All in all, I think this is a beautiful book. I have a particular affection for hand made products and this one is well worth it's $29 price.

Visit my blog for a special 20% code good through the end of the year.

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• biffybeans

• Ghost Plane

• misterh

• aymr

Thanks Steve!

These look beautiful--I may need to get a new sketchbook!!--GREAT REVIEW!!!!

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

Sweet! Let us know how you like it!

Beautiful! One on order already!

Aym

If you mean the Red Rose like I have, it's definitely more of a maroon than a red.

Can't make up my mind between the red, which looks more like a rose, and the orange. :hmm1:

If you mean the Red Rose like I have, it's definitely more of a maroon than a red.

Can't make up my mind between the red, which looks more like a rose, and the orange. :hmm1:

Thanks! That helps. Pictures are so confusing some times. I love a true dark red, so looks like the OJ for me as soon as I get a little cash. :thumbup:

Great review. Thanks. Especially like the art work and the demonstrations of various pens and inks. A simple query, however: did you really expect total lack of bleed-through with Sharpies? :) Seriously, I have been following your reviews for several months and really appreciate all that you do for us.

There will be no crisis this week. My calendar is already full.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why I bother testing the Sharpies. They bleed through everything, but I know that a lot of people like to draw with them in Art Journals. :)

Thank you for the kind words about my reviews. I try. :)

Great review. Thanks. Especially like the art work and the demonstrations of various pens and inks. A simple query, however: did you really expect total lack of bleed-through with Sharpies? :) Seriously, I have been following your reviews for several months and really appreciate all that you do for us.