Review: Canson Heavyweight Universal Sketch Pad

biffybeans

Click here for review with pictures

I have been using these books for years. I have them in several sizes, but I like the portability of the 8x5 the best.

I've used a variety of media in these books: pencil, colored pencil, oil pastel, watercolor paint, gel pens, water soluble crayons, many different types of markers and now.....fountain pen ink.

I would have never guessed. Had these books all this time but never tried it. Never even thought about it. No tested fountain pen inks bled, feathered or spread. Nibs appear to write true to size. I guess maybe I dismissed the possibility of using these books as anything but a sketchpad because I see them as disposable. The 8x5 costs less than $4 at Blick.

The surface is smooth, but not silky. After all, it is a sketchbook, and the surface does have a slight bit of feedback to it but it isn't unpleasant to write on.

From Dick Blick's website

"This heavy 65 lb (96 gsm) weight, acid-free paper is well suited for pencil, charcoal, pen, and light wash. It's manufactured from French made Crobart paper to near drawing quality standards.

All 100-sheet pads are bound on the long side with a double wire. The 30-sheet pad is bound on the short side with a double wire. All pads contain micro perforated true size sheets"

PS - this paper is kind of thin for watercolor paint. Light washes come out ok, but the paper will buckle.

You can buy these from the Blick link above, but I've seen them for sale on most every major online art retailer, as well as in Blick's store, Michael's, and other art/hobby retailers.

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• biffybeans

• rcannonp

• Tweel

• Ted H

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem Ted.

I still can't believe I never tried writing in one of these with a fountain pen. I've drawn with FP's in them, but I never use the reverse of the paper when I sketch, so I never even looked to see if they bled.

Thanks, Stephanie! Your reviews are very helpful--it's good to know where to get something decent for a price that won't break the bank.

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

Thanks for the tip! I've had one of those pads sitting here, untried and forgotten, for probably a year and a half. Yeah! Something on which "Iowan" Skrip doesn't feather!

-- Brian

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

From what I remember, the hardback books don't lie flat - but I will check that out the next time I'm at Blick.

They also make hard bound sketchbooks in various sizes.

I seem to remember thinking that in the store. After using one for a while, the binding has loosened up a bit and it lays as flat as any other bound book that I have. It is certainly better in that regard than the Paper Blanks book that I have.

Edited by rcannonp