Review: Yellow Ciak Piccolo Journal

biffybeans

Click here for full review with pictures

Ciak, which I have been incorrectly pronouncing as Sigh-Ack, (it's

Chack) has been a tough nut for me to crack. Pictured here, is a 9x13cm small (Piccolo) ivory lined Ciak on top of a small Pocket Moleskine.

I received 3 sample Ciaks directly from Italy to review; a small ivory lined, a medium plain ivory, and a large multi-colored.

For the record, the cream/ivory is the same to the best of my knowledge.

Ciak journals are handmade in Florence, Italy, under what seems to be the parent company of inTempo (so that makes them related to Mood & Cartesio) another site specifically dedicated to Ciak is found here

These are the specs I have been able to uncover:

Piccolo (small 9x13cm)

Ivory Lined: 110gr, gray ruling, 96 Sheets

Multi-Color: 90gr, gray ruling, 128 Sheets

Plain White: 110gr, 96 Sheets

Medio (medium 12x17cm)

Travel Journal: ivory paper, 110gm, gray ruling, 120 sheets

Layout: right page lined, left page blank

Ivory Lined Specs: 110gr, gray ruling, 120 Sheets

Multi-Color: 90gr, gray ruling, 144 Sheets

Ivory Squared: 110gr, gray ruling, 120 Sheets

Plain White: 110gr, 120 Sheets

Grande (large 15x21cm)

Ivory Lined Specs: 110gr, gray ruling, 120 Sheets

Multi-Color: 90gr, gray ruling, 120 Sheets

Plain White: 110gr, 120 Sheets

You will notice that there are no specs for the ivory unlined version, but I assure you, they do exist. To the best of my knowledge in speaking with the US importer, (http://www.fiorentinaltd.com/) the plain ivory Ciak is not being sold/imported in the US. That's not to say that they couldn't possibly be special ordered, or that you couldn't maybe find them on Ebay.

The Journal Shop IS selling the plain cream versions in the UK.

The Ciak cover is recycled leather, rounded on the corners, and is secured by a horizontal elastic band that stays put in a little notched groove in the cover. The horizontal design allows you to secure a pen to the journal. Love that!

This journal has a ribbon bookmark, which sadly is not finished on the ends, and this poor guy frayed pretty quickly when I foolishly pulled on a loose string.

Inside the front cover there is a small indicator of the manufacturer, and on the opposing page, a few lines to perhaps write down your name and contact information.

The pages are called ivory, and to me, are a light cream. Very easy on the eyes. Ruling is light gray, and are 6mm in width. The page corners are squared.

The signatures are stitched, but in this small Ciak, take note of the position of the stitches. The bottom stitch should be lower than it is. More on that in a minute.

The book opens flat, but doesn't exactly lie flat on a flat surface due to the construction of the spine.

I primarily write on my knee, in an easy chair, or out on the porch. I am less concerned about a book that lies flat, than one that opens flat, but I can understand how that might be an issue for some people. All three sizes of the Ciaks were the same in this respect.

Showing the way the book opens flat, but is slightly hindered from laying flat due to the spine construction.

This is my problem with the stitching in this book. When one or both of the stitches are not properly positioned, the pages can lift up when turned from the bottom. This book only has two large stitches, where the other two Ciaks have more stitching and feel much more secure than this small version.

This is a smooth mid-weight paper with a slight tooth. (in a good way) It is not shiny.

With all fountain pens/inks tested, there was minimal feathering & very little bleed through. Of the markers tested, the Sharpies & Lumocolor bled, but that's been the case with everything I've tested them on.

Reverse of the page.

It even took a light watercolor wash with limited buckling.

In conclusion; I really like the Ciak design. There's something special about it that I just can't put my finger on. Maybe because it's hand made? I know that it feels very good in my hands, and as I hold it, it brings images to mind of sitting in an outdoor cafe somewhere in Europe, tea and pastry on the table, jotting down my plans for the day.

Of the three Ciaks, I probably liked this one the least only because I find it to be too small. I prefer a mid sized book, closer in size to a large Moleskine.

Where to find them in the US?

Kate's Paperie has ivory lined, small & medium, but colors are limited to orange & red.

Sam Flax has ivory lined Ciaks in all colors.

In the UK, The Journal Shop carries all things Ciak.

I'm pretty sure you can find the multi-colored Ciaks at Borders and Barnes & Noble.

I have also seen books that look like Ciak, like this lime green one and I wonder if they are made by Ciak because the specs are pretty much identical.

See a previous review of the Ciak on the Black Cover Blog

Stay tuned for reviews on the other two Ciak journals.

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• biffybeans

• Mr Ink

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are very different animals.... huge differences in design.

And also.... I have found different results in testing FP inks in each of the three books I've tested. Ivory Lined, Ivory Plain and Multicolor.

If you hold a gun to my head and make me say which paper is better for FP inks between this Ivory Ruled and the Cartesio, I have to say Cartesio but only by the very slightest of margins.

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>