Rennaisance Art Folder Holder

OboeJuan

So, my friend kindly sent me a bottle of Old Manhattan. I fell madly in love with it and absolutely had to find the right pen for the job. Decided that it had to be something black and subdued and preferrable not shiny, just like Old Manhattan. Since said friend knows better than I do, he sent me this for my 40th birthday:

post-6554-1227324472_thumb.jpg

The pen, not the snake. The snake is in love with the pen. Long story, but the pen is extremely lovely.

So. We now have the perfect pen/ink combo. Now what? Hm. I seem to have a separate Apica notebook for everything that interests me. I have a New Music Canada/CBC Radio 3 notebook and a History notebook and a NY Times crossword notebook where I write unfamiliar words for further study so that I can kick tail at the 2010 American Crossword Championship and an "Interesting Things I Hear on the Radio" notebook and... You know where I am going. An absolute nightmare to go to the library lugging all of those notebooks.

Enter the Renaissance Art Folder Holder! Excellent! Rather than a whole notebook dedicated to one subject, I can have all of my subjects, plus work, meal planning, grocery shopping, household chores, calendar and personal goals folders with me at all times, everywhere I go. Sweet.

Drat! I use Rhodia pads and they won't fit in the traditional Folder Holder! No fear, as Arthur the Magnificent from Renaissance Art kindly just made me one that would accommodate A4. 2 days later it was in my hot little hands.

post-6554-1227325212_thumb.jpg

The leather is fabulous. Hands down, the nicest leather I have ever seen. It even smells good. For those who ride motorcycles, this leather has the same feel as a Hein Gericke jacket. The stitching and everything exceeded my expectations. Bliss. Now to fill it with lovely, useful things. Because it was purchased to 1) make life easier and 2) look fabulous with the Emotica and the ink and the Rhodia, yellow, black and orange would figure exclusively.

post-6554-1227325685_thumb.jpg

I do use different little useful things depending on where I am going, but the folders generally stay the same. When I have finished a page of, say New Music, I take the page out of the folder and put it in a matching folder in my desk. That way, I don't fill up my Folder Holder too much. There is ample space for extra folders and a Behance Action Pad, which I carry everywhere in case a spontaneous meeting erupts. If you haven't tried this stuff, you should. Very cool.

post-6554-1227329007_thumb.jpg

Anyway, I usually have a Clairefontaine Age Bag address book in the middle pocket (yes, I know my address book is black, not brown. Noodler's Heart of Darkness and a Q-tip fixed that little problem), Behance Action Pad in orange and a Crane 3x5 card case with a Behance Action Card in the CD pocket. My Mikado fits snugly and happily in the business card pocket (I used to carry a Visconti traveling inkpot there but because of the Mikado's ink capacity, I no longer run out). The Emotica fits securely and happily in the large pen loop and the material used to make the loop doesn't stain the yellow rubber. Bliss. Because of a recent development (details below) I now carry a Preppy eyedropper highlighter filled with (wait for it) Noodler's Orange highlighter ink in the pen loop. Oh. The Rhodia pads have yellow paper. Sigh.

Okay, now we're cooking. I had a part time job at our local Farmers' Market and the good bathrooms were upstairs so I used to pass by and chat with an artist who worked up there. Very nice man. One day, I linger a bit longer and take a really good look at one of his little tiny paintings (I had glanced at it everytime I went up there, but I hadn't really looked at it). Enter the missing link:

post-6554-1227327149_thumb.jpg

Photo otherwise known as "The Gang's All Here".

www.jimpescott.com is his website. Amazing stuff and those of you who get the Unicef Christmas cards may see his work this year, as he was selected to participate. This is a very great honour and I am proud to know him.

Now, as all such adventures go, I found that I needed another piece of the organization puzzle. I am a notoriously bad housekeeper. I don't plan well and I forget that things need doing, such as taking library books back on time, sending birthday cards and cleaning the kitchen. That one constantly falls out of my head. I was using a folder for it in the Folder Holder, but I'd keep forgetting to look in it to tell me to do things like clean the kitchen. I needed something more "in my face". Enter the 3x5 card case with composition book!

post-6554-1227327752_thumb.jpg

While I am not thrilled with the leather used on this one (I got spoiled by the batch used to make my Folder Holder) it is a well made and thoroughly well designed item. I'll get used to the leather (nothing wrong with it, but I don't like shiny leather). I scoured the city and have found some composition books that might work. I am still in the process of finding exactly what I want. I may end up cutting the covers of my Apicas and putting those in (the opening is a bit too small).

post-6554-1227328671_thumb.jpg

So. The Folder Holder and his little brother, the card case have changed everything. Seriously. I can now have all of my various hobbies documented in one place and it is effortless to drop one subject and pick up on another very quickly. I have orange folders for my personal hobbies and yellow for my work projects. The card case serves as a constant reminder of what needs to be done when and how. It is impossible to open it and not see that my copy of Spaced needs to be back to the library on the 25th. I have a running shopping list in there and a myriad of other lists and doodads, with a composition book that is for note taking and is also perforated so I can dispose of my ramblings.

Renaissance Art has been fabulous to deal with (slow answers to emails aside-their spam filter is apparently too efficient) and there is no denying the quality of their goods (shiny leather aside). The Folder Holder and his little brother are extremely cool tools in quiteing the frenetic mind. I have never been more organised, although the kitchen is still a mess. I lost that card, I think. Oh, well.

Kathryn

Edited by OboeJuan

Why, sometimes I'd like to take a switchblade and a peppermint and a Cadillac and throw it all in a fire.

Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OboeJuan

• blakeums21

• cmenice

• kiavonne

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OboeJuan, great review! The folder holder has only gotten better. I really enjoy mine. Arthur really has put a wonderful niche business into place. I'm happy to be a loyal customer, too.

Great multiple reviews! I don't care for yellow pens in my little world, but they look fantastic in yours!

Welcome to the madness of my world. Fountain pens and leather journals and accessories and the perfect paintings to gaze at during those brief bouts of writer's block or melancholy ponderance. There is no going back. :)

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Thanks, Kiavonne.

Why, sometimes I'd like to take a switchblade and a peppermint and a Cadillac and throw it all in a fire.

Danitrio Fellowship

You're welcome. Thanks for the nudge!

Danitrio Fellowship

?

Edited by OboeJuan

Danitrio Fellowship

?

Edited by OboeJuan

Danitrio Fellowship

?

Edited by OboeJuan

Danitrio Fellowship

?

Edited by OboeJuan

Danitrio Fellowship

?

Edited by OboeJuan

Danitrio Fellowship

?

Edited by OboeJuan

Danitrio Fellowship

Seriously, I have no clue why my post posted 100 times, there.

Katrhyn

Danitrio Fellowship

I'm not sure what you are disappointed about. More than 250 people have read your excellent review. You have a very nice product - typical Ren Art quality.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I'm not sure what you are disappointed about. More than 250 people have read your excellent review. You have a very nice product - typical Ren Art quality.

I'm not disappointed. For some reason, though, my one post wound up as 6, which is odd. Totally my computer's fault.

Danitrio Fellowship

Thanks for the pictures and review, I was looking for a nice legal pad holder and thanks to you I've found it :). Ren-Art's website says it comes with a pen, can you comment on which pen it comes with?

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

I am glad you liked it. Mine came with a quite nice black ballpoint which I removed and gave to my husband. :D

Kathryn

Danitrio Fellowship

Thanks for the review. I bought one for my son-in-law for his birthday and forgot to take pictures. He loves it. I couldn't have take the nice pics you have here anyway.

Oh, got him the brown which is GORGEOUS. :)

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Thanks, KCat. I had much fun doing the review.

I have one thing to add to the review of the card case: yesterday I replaced the yucky composition book with a large Moleskine lined book (soft cover). The paper is well, Moleskine paper, but it looks much better and, as the book is basically for writing lists and whatnot anyway, it doesn't matter much. While I liked the fact that I could just rip out and recycle the pages of the comp book, the placeholder ribbon in the Moleskine serves the same function for me, which is to quickly find my latest list. The elastic had to be removed, but that doesn't bother me.

Kathryn

Danitrio Fellowship

Just ordered mine can't wait to get it!!!

Blake!

I don't think you will be disappointed. Black or brown? Your address book is in the mail. Enjoy!

Danitrio Fellowship