Review: Destination Unknown Travel Journals

biffybeans

CLick here for full review with pictures

Review: Destination Unknown Travel Journals

destination : unknown travel journal on top of a large Moleskine for size comparison.

Pam Bauer makes all of the destination : unknown travel journals by hand in her workshop at her home in Massachusetts. Each journal is made by hand, and as such no two are exactly the same.

From the destinition : unknown website:

" I created destination:unknown journals after searching unsuccessfully for a travel journal to take on a summer trip to Europe. I looked in every bookstore, gift and stationery shop in the area. Although there were many journals to choose from, none were really suited for travel. Travelers need to be able to write while on the move, collect souvenirs, keep track of important information, and do it all without adding to the burden of luggage, so a travel journal has to be more than just paper inside two covers.

I realized the only way to get the travel journal I want would be to make my own, and so I did. The very first destination:unknown journal came with me to Europe, and worked out perfectly. When other travelers expressed interest in obtaining journals for their upcoming trips, I knew I couldn't keep them just for myself.

What sets these journals apart is the combination of style with only the most useful, travel-friendly features. They offer travelers the flexibility to chronicle their journeys in their own individual way. Whether it's descriptive writing, recordkeeping, sketching, or jotting quick notes, it's all possible. And saving souvenirs along the way enhances the special written memories of a trip."

This is the 5x7 travel journal. 3 5/8" x 5 1/8" pocket versions are also available.

15 different specialty papers (which feel more like fabric) "are selected to motivate and enthuse you to dream, plan, set out on and especially write about your journeys."

"Made of sturdy binders' board, the covers withstand the wear-and-tear of travel."

"Wire binding allows for easy writing anywhere. The journals can lie flat, or the covers can flip all the way around so the journals can be held in one hand to write when a table is not available."

A snug elastic strap keeps the journal closed while in a day pack or purse.

Pam also creates matching Luggage Tags to compliment the travel journals.

Inside the front cover, "A clear pocket at the front of the journal is perfect for holding something you may want to find easily or often, such as a hotel address, an itinerary, or a photo of someone you miss at home."

The paper in the journal is a 24# stock. "One hundred pages of lined paper for recording travel memories, plus extra pages of grid paper for recordkeeping and blank paper for sketching and jotting quick notes."

In testing the lined paper, (which is very smooth) I found that it didn't cooperate with fountain pen inks very well. The inks spread (but didn't feather) and bled through to the other side.

But wait! Good news awaits...

"To save small mementos collected during a trip, destination:unknown travel journals include glassine pockets - ideal for keeping receipts, ticket stubs, business cards, etc that are collected while traveling."

Three such envelopes are included, and are a nice touch.

Testing the graph paper with fountain pen inks - no feathering, no spreading, no bleed through. The paper is smooth and has a bit of feedback. (Keeps your buttery nibs from sliding willy-nilly all over the paper.)

Testing the blank paper resulted in the same findings as the graph paper. No feathering, spreading or bleeding. Smooth with slight feedback.

And here's the thing - if you fountain pen aficionados would like to order one of the journals and have it filled with only graph & plain papers, Pam will be happy to do that. Simply let her know when you place your order.

A pocket at the back of the book allows for stashing additional trip ephemera.

I am a sucker for well made, well designed, artisan crafted goods. This book is a beautiful example of someone filling a niche with a well though out and well executed product. I applaud Pam's efforts and recommend her product.

With the holidays coming up, this would make an outstanding gift for someone that loves to travel.

The large journals are $50

Pocket journals are $40

Luggage tags are $5

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• biffybeans

• inkypete

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Biffy - I started a thread a few weeks ago lamenting the fact that I couldn't find a suitable travel journey for a trip next year. This looks like it could do the job although they do seem somewhat overpriced. There are leather journals cheaper than this.

Do you think they are worth the money overall?

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

If these were mass produced in China, I'd call them overpriced. Being that they are hand-made by an individual, I'd say they are worth the money if that's how you choose to spend your money. It's a matter of priorities. Like me - I buy expensive shoes because my feet can't take wearing cheap shoes, but I buy most all of my clothes (not undergarments) from thrift stores & consignment shops.

I used to create and sell my own handcrafted jewelry, and I have a special affinity for people that make things. With this being such a throw away society, I like the idea that someone has gotten their hands dirty to make & sell something that is most often to be considered a luxury item. Sure sure...I'd always have people tell me that they could buy their jewelry or what-not at a discount store, but those were not usually the people that would appreciate hand made items to begin with. When you buy something hand-made, you are buying into artist/craftsman as much as you are buying the item.

(I hope this doesn't sound snooty....I don't mean it to be.)

Thanks Biffy - I started a thread a few weeks ago lamenting the fact that I couldn't find a suitable travel journey for a trip next year. This looks like it could do the job although they do seem somewhat overpriced. There are leather journals cheaper than this.

Do you think they are worth the money overall?

Edited by biffybeans

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

Thanks Biffy - I am going to order one and have already sent an email to get freight details. I like the fact that it is hand made too but I am more concerned about overall quality. Many hand made (or home made) journals I have seen look great but are not robust enough for the purpose they are designed. This product looks like it will stand the rigours of travel and that what I like. I have asked for one with all grid paper (as you advised) and look forward to their response.

Good deal Pete!

Let me know what you think of it once you receive it. :)

Thanks Biffy - I am going to order one and have already sent an email to get freight details. I like the fact that it is hand made too but I am more concerned about overall quality. Many hand made (or home made) journals I have seen look great but are not robust enough for the purpose they are designed. This product looks like it will stand the rigours of travel and that what I like. I have asked for one with all grid paper (as you advised) and look forward to their response.

Order placed Biffy - they were very easy to deal with, freight was reasonable and they can accomodate my "grid only" request with a day or two turnaround.

A quick review when received in a week or two.

Good deal Pete. Enjoy!!!

Order placed Biffy - they were very easy to deal with, freight was reasonable and they can accomodate my "grid only" request with a day or two turnaround.

A quick review when received in a week or two.