Cover for Field Notes Pocket Notebooks

kiavonne

A lot of us here very much enjoy our Field Notes pocket notebooks. The paper is very FP friendly (though a really wet writer can bleed through). The biggest complaint, perhaps, about Field Notes was the potential for the cardstock cover to disintegrate with daily use. It's a great plain brown wrapper, really, but it did need a little enhancing.

Well, I sent Arthur at Renaissance Art a pack of Field Notes. He sent me a great cover!

RenArt has been expanding their product line and their leather selections in recent months. They now have these great new leathers from New Zealand, I think it was, and in colors. Very sturdy, yet lighter weight than their regular leathers for their journals and custom covers. Somewhere along the line, Arthur found out my favorite color (red), and he decided to create this cover for the Field Notes notebook in this fantastic new leather in red for me.

The cover is really gorgeous. It's a deep, dark red, not a bright red that my camera wants to make it look. The leather is very supple, yet has just the right amount of stiffness to it to protect the thin Field Notes notebook while in my pocket. Yes, I put this in the back pocket of my jeans to see how it would fair. Pretty darn well, was the result.

The leather has natural inclusions (I hesitate to call them flaws, it's the nature of the beast so to speak), and they lend to the overall beauty of a very well made cover. As usual, the stitching is perfectly straight and done with the waxed threads that aren't going to wear out any time soon. The leather feels like wallet leather, maybe, it is soft and pliable though very sturdy.

Here are a few pictures of my Field Notes cover. I toned down the brightness quite a bit, hopefully these won't show as too dark. I can't bounce my camera flash at all. And, hopefully, their size won't break your monitor screen.

post-12075-1226618210_thumb.jpg

post-12075-1226618225_thumb.jpg

post-12075-1226618239_thumb.jpg

post-12075-1226618250_thumb.jpg

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkypete

• kiavonne

• Artbeast

• Pippin60

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very classy. I think I may look into this myself and see if I can't get a little class too. Did you say this is now included in their product line? Could we have a link to their website?

At Your Service,

Clydesdave

Theoretically, it should also hold a small Moleskine Cahier, right?

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

The Renaissance Art website. And here is a page from their blog showing some of those new leathers and colors on their pocket briefcase for 3x5 cards (scroll down a bit).

They don't have everything on their site. If you don't see it, ask! It may fall under the category of custom covers, but it sure is a perfect fit.

As for fitting Moleskine cahiers, I don't know. I've never owned a Moleskine of any kind. If the dimensions match, then theoretically it would fit.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

The Field Notes and Moleskine Cahier are the same size so the cover will fit both.

I am currently working on perfecting my book cover formula when working with this leather and this particular cover construction. That red is actually more of a cranberry red than a bright red.

The covers are not available yet although not that I have the template for the Field Notes and Cahier in that leather they can be ordered as Traditional Moleskine cover with a $5 upcharge.

This leather, as well as 5 other colors will be introduced next year in a new line of stuff we will call our light line. The leather is thinnner, the stitching uses lighter weight thread and it has more of a refined rustic look.

Arthur

www.renaissance-art.com

The Field Notes and Moleskine Cahier are the same size so the cover will fit both.

I am currently working on perfecting my book cover formula when working with this leather and this particular cover construction. That red is actually more of a cranberry red than a bright red.

The covers are not available yet although not that I have the template for the Field Notes and Cahier in that leather they can be ordered as Traditional Moleskine cover with a $5 upcharge.

This leather, as well as 5 other colors will be introduced next year in a new line of stuff we will call our light line. The leather is thinnner, the stitching uses lighter weight thread and it has more of a refined rustic look.

Hi Arthur

Clairefontaine and Rhodia covers have been coming soon for over a year now. Will they ever materialise?

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Hi Arthur

Clairefontaine and Rhodia covers have been coming soon for over a year now. Will they ever materialise?

I'd like to second that question. I have the large and small Moleskine covers and love them but I do keep watching for a Clairefontaine or Rhodia cover.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Wow, these look great. As much as I like the weathered look that a pocket notebook takes on, these covers would really help these sorts of notebooks hold up, especially when you carry them around in your back pocket. There are lots of pocket notebooks of this size, so these should appeal to people no matter what their notebook of choice is.

And here is a page from their blog showing some of those new leathers and colors on their pocket briefcase for 3x5 cards (scroll down a bit).

Thanks for the referral to the 3x5 pocket briefcase from Renaissance Art. Since I have joined the FPN I have been impressed by the quality of their products. However, I have not yet had a reason to purchase anything from them, due to the kind of journals and notebooks and loose-leaf pages I use. HOWEVER, I have been using a Levenger pocket briefcase for years and I very much appreciate knowing that I have another source for these. The RA photos on FPN demonstrate that quality, beauty, and fine craft-work still exist.

There will be no crisis this week. My calendar is already full.

Hi Arthur

They are actually completed but then I field test them and make little improvements to them. I have them for 3 sizes of Rhodia pads. The Clairfontaine stuff is for their music books and A4 pads but am thinking that I probably should add their small spiral notebooks too. Thots on that?

Arthur

www.renaissance-art.com

Hi Arthur

They are actually completed but then I field test them and make little improvements to them. I have them for 3 sizes of Rhodia pads. The Clairfontaine stuff is for their music books and A4 pads but am thinking that I probably should add their small spiral notebooks too. Thots on that?

Thats great news Arthur - BUT when will they be on the web page?

Hi Arthur

I'm interested in the Field Note covers. Is it possible to be notified when these covers are available for sale? Also, I'm interested in large Clairfontaine spiral notebook covers (50 pages notebooks).

Michael Chamberlin

Will these fit small CD5 Apica notepads (4"x2.75")?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I didn't spot the price....has it been mentioned (or would that be too vulgar)? :D :D

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

I'd be interested in a cover for the clothbound notebooks, 6" x 8 1/4". Is that A4?

I'd be interested in a cover for the clothbound notebooks, 6" x 8 1/4". Is that A4?

That size is A5. A4 is 81/4 by 115/8 or 210 x 297.