Staining on a pastel purse pen

klangbogen

Is there a way to get ink stains off of a pink/peach pastel purse pen. I have one from a purchase of a lot of several pens. There seems to be ink between the inner and outer cap and it has stained through to the outside. There are also stains around the threads on the body. These match up with the stains on the cap. Any suggestions, or is it hopeless? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Be true to the music.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• klangbogen

• FarmBoy

• Jack125

• QM2

Is there a way to get ink stains off of a pink/peach pastel purse pen. I have one from a purchase of a lot of several pens. There seems to be ink between the inner and outer cap and it has stained through to the outside. There are also stains around the threads on the body. These match up with the stains on the cap. Any suggestions, or is it hopeless? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Lots of scrubbing and soaking followed by a few rounds of ink-remover. If you are lucky you will get the pen back to a satisfactory state. For cleaning the cap it is usually necessary to remove the inner-cap first but not until the cap has had a good soak.

The CH series does stain easy and this is one reason clean pastels sell higher on a regular basis.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Scrubbing and soaking with what? I don't want to ruin the pen completely. Mild dishwashing (not dishwasher) detergent? OxiClean?

Be true to the music.

Scrubbing and soaking with what? I don't want to ruin the pen completely. Mild dishwashing (not dishwasher) detergent? OxiClean?

Soap and water first. Then soak 10% household ammonia. I put the barrel threads down in enough to cover the staining. Try to keep the ammonia away from the metal parts.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that...

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my Esterbrook Nurse Pens had red ink stains around the threads and I was able to get 80% of it off with regular dishwashing liquid.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=81798

However, I think a lot also depends on what kind if ink it was: Some inks stain worse than others.

http://queenmargot.com/est_nurse4.jpg

Edited by QM2

I had a pink pastel with moderate staining. Scrubbing with INK NIX removed most of it. No damage to the pen.

" If you judge people, you have no time to love them. There is more hunger in the world for love and appreciation than for bread. "....Mother Teresa

One of my Esterbrook Nurse Pens had red ink stains around the threads and I was able to get 80% of it off with regular dishwashing liquid.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=81798

However, I think a lot also depends on what kind if ink it was: Some inks stain worse than others.

http://queenmargot.com/est_nurse4.jpg

Can you soak the pen in dishwashing liquid and water, or is it better to just scrub?

Be true to the music.

If you soak, remove the J-bar and the lever.

Todd

Can you soak the pen in dishwashing liquid and water, or is it better to just scrub?

I scrubbed, with piece of sponge wrapped round my fingernail.

Whatever you use, be super careful when cleaning or working on the cap. Pastel Esties are very prone to cap lip cracks as they are quite brittle.

Jack