Review: Italian Cartesio Journal. Is this the one we have been waiting for?

biffybeans

Clck Here for the full review with pictures.

The large Cartesio is the same size as a large Moleskine. (Note: the Barnes & Noble Red Moleskines have fewer pages than the regular black ones.)

Cartesio has a ribbon bookmark.

Available in orange or black. Textured and ecological bonded leather.

From The Journal Shop "The notebooks have cream ruled paper (which is acid-free archival quality stock that takes fountain pen and ink beautifully) and are available in pocket 9x14cm and large 13x21cm sizes."

Rounded cover, rounded pages. Rounded elastic band. Rounded edges allow for less damage to the book from repeatedly pulling it in and out of a purse or backpack.

Cover is grooved, and the elastic band holds the book tightly closed with less chance of it slipping off in my bag like my Moleskine often does.

A small raised emblem on the front cover designates the brand.

Rear stamped logo "Tempo"

Cover is a stiff recycled leather - and though not a hardcover, it's stiff enough that I can use it to write with it propped on my knee.

There is not a strong odor of leather with this cover.

The book lies "flat enough" for me, but not as dead flat as the Moleskines's do. Mid-weight pages are a creamy ivory. Signatures are sewn, not glued.

See? Flat.

Odd rear pocket. It's connected on the left, but it's left free to slide up and down the elastic on the right. I'm not sure I understand the purpose of that. Perhaps by being able to life the pocket away from the book, it's easier to get into?

Multiple fountain pen inks tested in various pens with various nib widths. No feathering, spreading, showthrough or bleeding at all.

I did notice, that inks do not dry ultra quickly on this paper. It's not a shiny paper, and it actually has a small bit of tooth, (in a good way)

In the large Cartesio journal, the lines are ruled wider than in the large Moleskine. Cartesio lines are 8mm wide, versus Moleskines's 6mm. 26 lines to the page versus Moleskine's 30, but the Cartesio doesn't have the wide ruled top margin like the Moleskine.

I'm not crazy about the wide ruling, but because of all the other great features surrounding this journal, I think I'd be willing to overlook it.

Yes, you are seeing correctly. NO BLEEDING from ANY fountain inks.

Cartesio tested with various markers - as usual, Sharpie & Staedtler bled, but not as bad as in other journals. (I'm not even sure why I keep testing them, because journal paper is never thick enough for them)

I was surprised that the Japanese brush pen didn't bleed at all, because it's a highly pigmented pen that usually bleeds.

Artist grade watercolor test came out pretty darn well. Paints went down well on the paper, blended well, and didn't buckle the paper too badly.

In all, the Cartesio is by far, one of the best journals I've yet to encounter. I wish it had a harder cover and that the lines were ruled smaller, but I can definitely say that YES, I would buy these and I do recommend it.

Unfortunately, it's availability in the US is severely limited. I could find no US retailers carrying it - so if you know of one, please let me know.

In the UK, I found The Journal Shop and though their inventory on the Cartesio's looks a little thin right now, I just received an e-mail from Alex at the Journal Shop that states, "After a very long wait indeed, we have now confirmed that our delivery is on its way to us from Italy and will be here in 7-10 days or so. We've ordered plenty..."

See a previous review for the Cartesio on the Black Cover blog.

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• biffybeans

• misterh

• tlaine

• Nickelodeon

Not that I can see. It's been really tough for me to find anything out about this company or product... I did the best I could. I think they also have diaries & organizers, but I don't think the journal comes in anything but ruled.

do they do grids as well?

Kurt

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

:crybaby: I can't find a US seller for Cartesio or CIAK notebooks

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

You can get Ciak through Kate's Paperie and Jenni Biggs Bookbindfing. (I think that's the name) Only thing is that there are certain models that aren't available in the US, like the Plain ivory papered one. I have 3 different Ciak's right now, with a 4th on the way. Each of the 3 so far has responded differently to FP inks.

I've also seen Ciak's on Ebay.

Cartesio's are available on Ebay, but with shipping from the UK, they work out to be about $28 each. Yikes! The Journal SHop sometimes does a buy 2 get 1 free deal, which perhaps will offset some of the shipping costs from the UK.

I think they are worth the cost & hassle. If they were available everywhere, maybe they wouldn't be so special.

Thank you and your welcome!

great review and pics, many thanks!

you can get CIAKs from "The Art of Beautiful Living" Lexington, Ky, and shipping is very reasonable (about 1/3 of UKs).

Thanks Biffy for another appreciated review, looks like your stack is fast becoming a pile. ;)

I don't know if there's one around you, but I saw Ciaks at Joseph Beth Booksellers a couple months ago. Their website is pretty limited, and I couldn't find the Ciaks with a search on their site.

Thanks for another great review, Biffy! Keep it up--while I love the Quo Vadis Habanas, I'm always on the lookout for new journal/notebook options! :)

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook

Good review. I ordered a pocket sized Cartesio recently and have been very pleased with it. The paper does seem to be of good quality. I have used a variety of pens and inks in it - including some fairly wet writers - and have had absolutely no problem with either feathering or bleed through.

The Journal Shop's three for the price of two offer has been running for a while now, it definitely helps!

Good review. I ordered a pocket sized Cartesio recently and have been very pleased with it. The paper does seem to be of good quality. I have used a variety of pens and inks in it - including some fairly wet writers - and have had absolutely no problem with either feathering or bleed through.

The Journal Shop's three for the price of two offer has been running for a while now, it definitely helps!

Any chance of a quick summary of pens and inks you've tried? I also recently bought a pocket Cartesio and have had mixed results so far. Diamine blue-black though a wet but fine Pelikan was truly horrible with lots of feathering and bleedthrough. Noodlers El Lawrence in an Aurora medium was much better but still less than wonderful. Wondering what to try next...

Any chance of a quick summary of pens and inks you've tried? I also recently bought a pocket Cartesio and have had mixed results so far. Diamine blue-black though a wet but fine Pelikan was truly horrible with lots of feathering and bleedthrough. Noodlers El Lawrence in an Aurora medium was much better but still less than wonderful. Wondering what to try next...

It is a bit of an assortment, but here you go...........

Pilot VP fine nib, fairly dry writer, used with: Diamine Damson, J Herbin Perle Noire, Noodlers Navajoe Turquoise

Pilot VP medium nib, very wet writer, used with: FPN Starry Night, FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown, Diamine Damson, Diamine Imperial Blue, PR Ebony Purple, Noodlers Habanero, Watermans Havana Brown, Noodlers Navy, Noodlers Walnut, Pilot Blue Black cartridge, Caran d'Ache Storm, J Herbin Verte Empire

Duofold International medium nib, average flow, used with: Diamine Damson, Diamine Imperial Blue, Noodlers Navy

Guider large eyedropper, not sure of model, fine nib, reasonable wet, used with: Diamine Imperial Blue

Parker 51, medium nib, wet writer, used with: Noodlers Navy, Noodlers Walnut, FPN Starry Night, Diamine Damson, Diamine Imperial Purple

Pilot 78G broad stub nib, average flow, used with: Diamine Umber, Diamine Kelly Green, Noodlers Habanero.

Hope that is some help!

Pilot VP fine nib, fairly dry writer, used with: Diamine Damson, J Herbin Perle Noire, Noodlers Navajoe Turquoise

Pilot VP medium nib, very wet writer, used with: FPN Starry Night, FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown, Diamine Damson, Diamine Imperial Blue, PR Ebony Purple, Noodlers Habanero, Watermans Havana Brown, Noodlers Navy, Noodlers Walnut, Pilot Blue Black cartridge, Caran d'Ache Storm, J Herbin Verte Empire

Duofold International medium nib, average flow, used with: Diamine Damson, Diamine Imperial Blue, Noodlers Navy

Guider large eyedropper, not sure of model, fine nib, reasonable wet, used with: Diamine Imperial Blue

Parker 51, medium nib, wet writer, used with: Noodlers Navy, Noodlers Walnut, FPN Starry Night, Diamine Damson, Diamine Imperial Purple

Pilot 78G broad stub nib, average flow, used with: Diamine Umber, Diamine Kelly Green, Noodlers Habanero.

Hope that is some help!

It is indeed helpful. I have a couple of those lurking in a box somewhere. Thanks.

Hope that is some help!

It is indeed helpful. I have a couple of those lurking in a box somewhere. Thanks.

You're welcome. Be interesting to see how you get on. I hope it isn't a case that the paper quality may vary by batch. I brought three of them, all at the same time.

Thank you for this informative and complete review. Now I wonder how comes I never found it around in the stationery shops I'm used to browse (given I'm in Italy and this thing is made in Florence, apparently...)

Cheers,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

You are more than welcome. I know that the Cartesio is new, but if it's made in Italy, I'd expect that it would be fairly easy to find there...or not... I might be coming to Italy next Spring, and you can be sure I'll be checking out the shops looking for more journals!

Thank you for this informative and complete review. Now I wonder how comes I never found it around in the stationery shops I'm used to browse (given I'm in Italy and this thing is made in Florence, apparently...)

Cheers,

I don't know about that, but I think I know what to change it to. BRB

Maybe you should change your title to "Queen of Journals"

K