Pen (case) Review

Having spent the better half of 30 years collecting writing instruments, I have alotted very little of that time to caring how I protected them. 10 years ago, my wife and I ordered an Amish cabinet from Pennsylvania, and it found its way to my study, where most (but not all) of my pens have been stored (I'm not sure that is what my wife had in mind for the cabinet).

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P5070102.jpg

Before the company Hold Everything went out of business, I purchased two eyeglass cases with the aim of using them for my pens. I retrofitted the interiors with wooden dowels, and purple velvet. These have served as home for 60 of my pens over the last few years.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P5280107.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P5280106.jpg

In the last few months, my interest has been piqued by Venlo cases, but they were just too pricey to justify. I was surfing on the net, looking at various sites, when I came across the cases offered by Paradise Pen. I have been to several of the B and M stores, but since they sell at retail, any purchases I've made were confined to ink and refills.

I noticed that they offered their own line of cases, and they were more in line with my tastes-white trim instead of the gold offered on most other cases, and a very subdued dark gray sycamore finish.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P5280108.jpg

One of the most striking things about this case was that it had the same design as some of the OMAS cases I saw 25 years ago, with the finger cutouts on each tray. I had always dreamed of owning an OMAS case, so when I saw this version, it just struck a chord. I also liked the fact that the front piece closed up and locks, protecting the entire unit (I have grandsons). There are also small magnets that hold the front in place until the glass cover in closed. A neat touch.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P5280101.jpg

The price for the 60 pen unit was $560, one half to one third of the cost of a 60 pen Venlo case (depending on model and type of wood, they range from $999 to $1499 list).

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P5280102.jpg

Once I received the case, I was somewhat disappointed at the level of finish compared to the Venlo-it didn't have the flawless finish that the more expensive case had. It did look, however, like it had the same hardware.

I was in the process of rationalizing that for the price difference, there had to be some concessions when I noticed a gash on the side of the case. I then started looking the case over, and noticed another gash in one of the trays that looked like it had been finished over during production. I loved the look and design of the case, and was trying to convince myself to keep the case (something I would never do ordinarily) when my wife brought me back to earth..'for almost $600 you're not keeping it if it is damaged'.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P5280103.jpg

I called Craig at Paradise Pen, and told him about the shape of the case. I am a big believer in customer service, and was expecting him to tell me to mail it back, and it would be replaced. He instead said that this was unacceptable, and that if I would give him until noon the next day, he would call of the stores and have them open boxes until they found one that was in perfect shape.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P5280104.jpg

Within one hour (that same night) Craig called me back, said he had found one in Dallas, they had inspected it, and were going to ship it out 2 day mail. He also said that he would email with a return label. My reticence about exchanging the case was gone. I received the new one this afternoon, and as you can see, while it is not a $1500 case, it is IMHO very striking and a good value.

I have since moved over the 60 pens from the two older cases, and now I have more room to grow!

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P5280105.jpg

the Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug C

• penguinmaster

• CraigR

• calliej

Great Review of what looks like a great case. Also a nice customer service story, I love hearing those as it reminds me that customer service still does live. One question though.. What are your plans with the hold everything cases??? "minds start to turn"

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

Great Review of what looks like a great case. Also a nice customer service story, I love hearing those as it reminds me that customer service still does live. One question though.. What are your plans with the hold everything cases??? "minds start to turn"

Thanks for the nice words, Craig, Penguinmaster.

As far as the cases go, I'll go in one of two directions: 1) sell them in my next FPN sale, or 2) keep them for the second tier of pens that I have. Haven't decided.

I still have pens in the Amish case that have 'special' requirements. They might have a wooden box that is too nice to hide. In the case of the three Nakayas I hope to eventully have (one here, one on the way, and I'd like to get a third at some point), there will be a 3 pen pillow that I'll need to find space for.

And..I have a cherry Levenger 12 pen case from years ago (it is behind the PP case in some of the pictures), a four pen Levenger case, and a 3 pen Levenger stand, and a teak case that I throw the cheaper pens in.

I'm beginning to think I have a problem.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

I just had a pen sale this weekend, and, as a result, some of these pens are on their way to new homes.................thanks to all.

the Danitrio Fellowship

wow - your pen collection is worth more than my car (as will mine be very shortly by the seems of it) I like........!

and the case is beautiful and functional - little more to ask for really.

So I'm opinionated - get over it!!.......No, really - get over it!!

Hmmmm I was going to put up a WANTS list - but that's too long as well ......

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I will have to say I am not terribly surprised by the customer service by Paradise Pens. The Dallas store is the ONLY pen store in the Dallas Fort Worth area, and I have only been there twice. Both times, the store employees (or owner?) were friendly, knowledgeable, and interested in ensuring I was served, either by explaining things, or leaving me to browse, while remaining close enough to not be obtrusive, but be able to answer any question quickly. But then, the store is small. That being said, they were attentive, which is impressive in any store.

Last time I was there, I bought some Amodex. When queried bout the difference in price between the two bottles, the clerk responded, without looking, that the smaller bottle had a lower price per ounce, and was a more cost-effective purchase. Doing the math quickly in my head revealed that he was correct, so I bought the less expensive one.

I am not affiliated with Paradise Pens, other than to purchase ink or ink remover there, but I am glad it is here, or otherwise all my pen or ink purchases would have to be online, paying shipping, which for ink, is nearly equal to the cost of the ink in some cases.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)