Proper Size Cap Jewel for Double Jewel J

RayMan

I have a double jewel Model J which is in excellent condition, except it has a chipped cap jewel. I plan to buy a damaged Esterbrook J, so I can use its cap jewel for the double jewel J. Will a Transitional J's cap jewel fit the cap of a double jewel J?

Regards,

Ray

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RayMan

• FarmBoy

• Brian Anderson

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a double jewel Model J which is in excellent condition, except it has a chipped cap jewel. I plan to buy a damaged Esterbrook J, so I can use its cap jewel for the double jewel J. Will a Transitional J's cap jewel fit the cap of a double jewel J?

Ray.

Yes and no. How about we say maybe. Not much help am I. Have you considered getting a good cap instead?

OK, here goes the brain dump on J-series jewels.

The J-series (J, SJ, and LJ) have two jewel sizes. A small jewel and a large jewel. The large jewel is only found on the J cap. The other jewels are by observation all the same but I've encountered a few J barrel jewels that seem to be a few thousands larger than the SJ or LJ jewels. The SJ and LJ caps are the same and the cap jewel on both these is the same as the barrel jewel. Pencils have a dished jewel and ball points have a pointed jewel. (Not that this is relevant to the FP issue you asked about. Oh, and there seems to be some factory mix ups out there that make this an almost rule.)

Now the problem with transitional J caps. Some of the jewels are THREADED into the inner cap. This doesn't happen in the regular (double jewel) series, the jewels are all press fit. You can determine if the jewel is threaded by trying to remove it with a little twist against a rubber pad (just like a 51 jewel). If the pocket clip is plain (no writing) then the rule of thumb is the jewel is threaded but it doesn't always work that way.

If you have a press fit jewel take it out by first removing the inner cap and then knock it out from the back. Trying to pry out the jewel will often result in a broken jewel.

With any luck, Brian will have some more concrete data on when threads went away and press fit jewels became the norm.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Ray.

Yes and no. How about we say maybe. Not much help am I. Have you considered getting a good cap instead?

OK, here goes the brain dump on J-series jewels.

The J-series (J, SJ, and LJ) have two jewel sizes. A small jewel and a large jewel. The large jewel is only found on the J cap. The other jewels are by observation all the same but I've encountered a few J barrel jewels that seem to be a few thousands larger than the SJ or LJ jewels. The SJ and LJ caps are the same and the cap jewel on both these is the same as the barrel jewel. Pencils have a dished jewel and ball points have a pointed jewel. (Not that this is relevant to the FP issue you asked about. Oh, and there seems to be some factory mix ups out there that make this an almost rule.)

Now the problem with transitional J caps. Some of the jewels are THREADED into the inner cap. This doesn't happen in the regular (double jewel) series, the jewels are all press fit. You can determine if the jewel is threaded by trying to remove it with a little twist against a rubber pad (just like a 51 jewel). If the pocket clip is plain (no writing) then the rule of thumb is the jewel is threaded but it doesn't always work that way.

If you have a press fit jewel take it out by first removing the inner cap and then knock it out from the back. Trying to pry out the jewel will often result in a broken jewel.

With any luck, Brian will have some more concrete data on when threads went away and press fit jewels became the norm.

Todd

Thank you Todd. Very helpful info. I'm going to the upcoming pen show in Columbus. I'm hoping I'll find what I need there.

Regards,

Ray

Now the problem with transitional J caps. Some of the jewels are THREADED into the inner cap. This doesn't happen in the regular (double jewel) series, the jewels are all press fit.

<snip>

Todd

Good information Todd, however, (there's always a however in esterbrook circles) some of the very first double jewel esterbrooks, those with no Rights Reserved symbol on the barrel imprint, can have threaded cap jewels. I have a couple. SO...., if we generalize, we can say some of the transitionals have a threaded jewels, and some of the early double jewel J's have a threaded jewel. :D My rule of thumb is to ALWAYS try to unscrew the jewel first. You never know.

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Good information Todd, however, (there's always a however in esterbrook circles) some of the very first double jewel esterbrooks, those with no Rights Reserved symbol on the barrel imprint, can have threaded cap jewels. I have a couple. SO...., if we generalize, we can say some of the transitionals have a threaded jewels, and some of the early double jewel J's have a threaded jewel. :D My rule of thumb is to ALWAYS try to unscrew the jewel first. You never know.

Best-

Brian

Thanks for the info Brian

Regards,

Ray

Now the problem with transitional J caps. Some of the jewels are THREADED into the inner cap. This doesn't happen in the regular (double jewel) series, the jewels are all press fit.

<snip>

Todd

Best-

Brian

Yup. And then there is always the caps that got switched around making even more problems. We both forgot to ask if the jewel in question was a three rib version. I've only ever seen these as screw in. (Consider this an open invitation to produce the exception that proves the rule.)

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

We both forgot to ask if the jewel in question was a three rib version. I've only ever seen these as screw in. (Consider this an open invitation to produce the exception that proves the rule.)

Nope just the two bump version, though the cap jewel is so chipped it's practically a one bump.

Regards,

Ray