Another leaky nib

sp_maher

Hello all,

I've encountered my first leaky nib on an Esterbrook. The nib is a NOS 9556 that I am using with one of my Js. For what it's worth, I've only run one ink through this nib so far--Pelikan black. After noticing ink on my middle finger and caked on the inside of the pen cap, I realized the nib was leaking. I read the post where a small shim was inserted into the feed--any other things for me to look for? Thanks.

Sean Maher

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerry

• sp_maher

• Titivillus

• Brian Anderson

Top Posters In This Topic

You could also look for separation between the nib and feed, as well as a crack in the section.

You need to do a careful visual inspection of the section and nib/feed using a loupe, 10-20x.

Why would the ink appear on your middle finger (and where on the finger did it appear)?

Regards

Gerry

Sean-

Couple of questions come to mind:

1) Did you replace the sac yourself or was it "as-is"

2) Did you initially clean the cap out?

I could see the ink on the finger from capping the pen when there's lots of ink in the cap. Make sure that nib is screwed in firmly, clean out the cap well (I use a trumpet or woodwind mouthpiece brush available at any music store) and make sure the sac isn't leaking (a pinhole may cause abnormal flow).

Report back and let's get this thing writing!

Best-

Brian (also using a 9556 in a red visumaster today)

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

I could see the ink on the finger from capping the pen when there's lots of ink in the cap.

Been there, done that! I got a pen that the last owner did not clean out before packing up to ship to me. I cleaned up the nib and rinsed out the filler then refilled with my favorite ink. Everytime I used it I noticed ink on the threads and section. My first thought was a leak at the section but then I looked into the cap and saw that there was ink between the inner & outer cap! So after cleaning that out with water & tissue/ Qtips no problems :D

K H

Thanks for the responses. I actually never checked out the cap, so that could be a possibility. I have of course given it a thorough cleaning and will see if my problem ceases. The ink marks on my middle finger must have come from the cap transfering ink to the section. The pen has the original sac which is in good shape. When I first received the pen I checked and tested the sac and the section. Both are fine. The nib is new old stock and I assumed there would be no separation, but I'll do my best to check it out. Is it possible to develop a leak if the nib is not threaded into the section really tight? How firmly should the nib be tightened?

Sean

It can be tightened firmly, but not to the point of jamming or breaking. If the leak is past the threads of the nib, I'd use silicon grease on the threads to seal it.

Gerry

Brian, thank you for the tip on the trumpet/woodwind mouthpiece brush! I've been looking for something to clean caps out with efficiently, and keep coming up empty.

Carried 5 esterbrooks with me today...

...and every day! Found a nice little 5 pen scrumptiously leather holder that's very compact made by La Penna with a little magnetic catch for the flap. It's really designed to be a two pen holder, but I inserted a thin leather single pen holder behind the partition, which creates 2 more compartments behind it. It reallllly works!

It carries:

1 white nurse pen with a 3556 sunburst (black Quink)

1 black dollar pen with a 3668 sunburst (black Quink)

1 blue SJ with a 3550 sunburst (Green ink from Private Reserve)

1 green transitional with an italic 2312 nib (anyone seen a sunburst?) :o)

1 burgundy SJ my dad gave me from his pharmacy with a 9284 Signature Stub with (black Quink).

Is this enough of an arsenal? I need a 3968 sunburst if anyone has one :o)

Ellis

p.s. is there a Estie-Holic's Annonymous club for those of us addicted?

"My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane"

-Graham Greene, author and world traveler

Ellis, you appear to have it bad.

I am indeed sorry to hear of your affliction. I would suggest that you put some distance between those temptations and yourself.

Perhaps you should just mail that little case of Esties over here to me - I will take good care of them while you recover.

Best regards.

Gerry