Comparison: Parker Duofold Vs. Pelikan M800

n2o

I recently received a request to compare the Parker Duofold Centennial and the Pelikan M800. Here is my review:

I purchased the Parker Duofold Centennial in black (fine) about 6 months ago, and the Pelikan M800 Tortoise Brown (fine) about 2 months ago. They are both excellent pens. I will try to describe the strengths and weaknesses of both so you can make the best decision for yourself.

Aesthetics:

Both pens have equally good looks. The pelican is more interesting to look at, but the black understated theme of the Duofold is nice too. The Duofold is certainly more conservative, and the Pelikan is more unique. The brown is definitely my favorite color for the Pelikan M800 line of pens.

Size:

They are both in the same size category. The Pelikan is slightly larger (length and diameter) but uncapped they are identical in length. The pelican is a little heavier. Both feel perfectly sized in my hand. I greatly prefer this size over the M600 or M1000 sized pens.

Filling System:

The Pelikan easily wins here. The piston is very nice, and can be disassembled with a TWSBI wrench for cleaning. The converter in the Parker is good, but no match for a piston-filled pen. The converter that came with my Duofold didn't fit too well (it was loose) so I replaced it with a standard Parker converter (slightly different actually) which fits perfectly. One thing I don't like about converters is that when you shake the pen you can hear and feel the converter moving around inside. The Pelikan is rock solid.

Nib:

They are both excellent 18k gold, two-tone nibs in fine. The Duofold nib is just slightly larger. The Pelikan has a larger feed, with fins you can see on the underside. The Duofold has the "ski-slope" style feed. The Pelikan also allows you to remove the nib easily, and even replace it with another size. Since the nib units are so expensive, I find this idea cost-prohibitive, but its great to know that if you drop the pen on its nib, you can fix it yourself.

Writing:

These are both good daily writers, but I have to give the prize to the Duofold. It has a slightly toothier nib, and I enjoy the small amount of feedback, especially on slick Rhodia paper. It doesn't have nearly as much tooth as an Aurora pen, but certainly not as smooth as the Pelikan. There is also something about Pelikan nibs that I haven't been totally able to get used to. They tend to sing a little. I don't really like the feel of a singing nib, though the M800 does it much less than my M600. The Duofold pen also provides for more line variation (see writing sample at end).

Value:

The Pelikan is the greater value because of its piston filling system. I paid $600 for my Pelikan brown (yes I know I paid retail, but I really wanted it). And I paid $365 for my Duofold. Since you can get a Pelikan M800 in any color other than brown on eBay for about $400, I consider them in the same price category.

Conclusion:

They are both excellent pens, but I would say that if I could only have one I would choose the Pelikan. Much of this is due to the way it looks. I love the brown coloring on the pen, and I often use brown inks so it goes great with my style. The Duofold is a little plain for my taste, but I bring it to work more than the Pelikan because it is more conservative and great for business meetings. I also love that the Duofold name has been around almost 100 years. You can’t go wrong with either pen, and if you are really having a difficult choice here I’m sure you’ll end up owning both someday.

post-96214-0-98684400-1365883115.jpg

post-96214-0-52614800-1365883127.jpg

post-96214-0-56258000-1365883135.jpg

post-96214-0-90628900-1365883142.jpg

post-96214-0-52191600-1365883149.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• n2o

• The Blue Knight

• bluesky

• Montblanc owner and lover

Thanks for the nice comparison!

I would also choose the Pelikan over the Parker, it just has the more interesting look. I feel it motivates me more to write when the pen has a nice design; I like to watch the pen writing, if I may say so...

For sale: M625 red/silver, P395 gold, Delta Fellini.

thanks for this very interesting comparaison....personaly i love both but i think that if i have to choose i'd go for the parker,simply because of the design of the nib that i love...it's always the small detail that make the difference ;)

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Thank you you for your thoughtful and well organized comparison

Sounds like I could not go wrong with either and it is the nuances (variations of the theme) that pull one way or the other

Will let you know what my experience is with one of the two pens

Your time and effort is helpful and much appreciated

bluesky

I have several of each; I like them both. The Pelikans get more use, I think because I prefer the filling system and the ink-view window. I guess the bottom line is that they are both great pens!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Great review. Interesting to hear how closely they tie in your estimation. I have a Centennial, but I don't have an M800 (have M600s, but I gather they are quite a bit lighter than the M800s). I find that the Pel nibs have a hint of flex, while my Centennial nibs are absolutely stiff. I like both, at different times.

Dang. Now I have to get an M800. Thanks a lot. :headsmack:

Ken

Thanks for this very informative comparison and nice pictures :thumbup: .

A tortoise brown is imho - in looks - hard to beat, compared with a "standard" black pen. But there are, besides blacks, other verry pretty duofolds out there as well! I'm thinking about buying a duofold for a while now. But I still have not made a decision on that. Maybe because in the end I'll like my Pelikan more? :unsure:

Edited by Mainecoon

Happy Writing!, Mainecoon

Dreams are presentiments of what you are able to accomplish (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)

This was a feast for the eyes--two beautiful pens in one review!

It's a shame the Duofold isn't a piston filler. I really like everything else about it.

Thanks for posting this great review. thumbup.gif

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

• 1 month later...

thank you so much it is a huge help! I was actually looking for some writing samples of these particular pens for days... the comparison is just what I needed! I think the Duofold is what I've been looking for...I have a Pelikan M400 and find the nib a tiny bit too soft for my taste...

Thank you for the review. I have been looking at this version of the M800, and I like the size of the Pelikan. I feel the Centennials are very nice and I like their size, I just wish they were not converter filled.

Peace,

J. Kenneth Byrd, Jr.

(Kenny)

The Tar Heel State--GO HEELS!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Great review, thank you! I use Duofold International daily and absolutely love it. Also I have Pelikan M600 and Duofold Centennial (first production year!) on their ways to me. Maybe I should make a comparison review between smaller siblings of your pens, i.e. Dufold Int. vs M600 :)

Gottes Mühlen mahlen langsam, mahlen aber trefflich fein