A Newbie’S Review Of The Visconti Rembrandt In Purple (Lots Of Photos!)

cwhbin

I'm so excited today when my Visconti Rembrandt penarrived!!! I decided to take some photos, and hope you don't mind me share them with you ^^ (There're 2 reviews of the blue and red one, but no purple ones I can find)

The package came with a nice shiny yellow paper cardboard box

post-101547-0-70121300-1365022243.jpg

Despite being the cheapest in the Visconti range, it still has a nice faux leather box, and a coloured leaflet showing other Visconti pens

post-101547-0-70405700-1365022282.jpg

Dealer's stamp and purchase date inside the leaflet

post-101547-0-91080100-1365022315.jpg

… and the little DVD at the back!

post-101547-0-55839600-1365022341.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cwhbin

• nm4

• jandrese

• Montblanc owner and lover

The pen itself, it's a really lovely (marble effect) purple. I look these photos in the evening and theyreally don't do the pen justice

post-101547-0-83906200-1365022509.jpg

The Visconti logo printed at the clip (I'm not sure if thiswill fade over time…)

post-101547-0-87399800-1365022534.jpg

The beautiful cap band, with the word 'Rembrandt' printedaround…

post-101547-0-50729700-1365022560.jpg

... sorry to be continued tomorrow (currently having computer issue :(

Edited by cwhbin

for the moment it look nice,I'm waiting for the rest very impatientively

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

The Rembrandt is a great pen. The size, weight, unique clip, magnetic closure system, and beautiful overall aesthetic justify the price. I've heard of some QC issues but mine have been fine with gentle use.

I recently purchased the Calligraphy set and I must say it's awesome. The 1.5mm italic nib is a pleasure to use and the 0.5mm "highly elastic" (ie slightly flexible) nib is a lot of fun as well.

Hope you enjoy your pen as much as I do mine!

Cheers,

NM

... together with some decorative patterns

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8266/8616678935_f00efb1131_o.jpg

DSC02151 by onion.bunny, on Flickr

For an extra €5 I chose my initials (HB) to be added from the 'My Pen System'. I had the silver version to match the pen, but they look more like grey than silver. The first initial 'H' has a darker grey background, whereas the second initial 'B' has a lighter grey. I'm not sure if they're meant to be this colour, but they look nice anyway :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8384/8616678697_a82060ee38_o.jpg

DSC02155 by onion.bunny, on Flickr

Now onto the nib, I believe this is the same EF nib from the calligraphy set (please correct me if I'm wrong) The main difference in appearance between this nib and the F, M and B nibs is that it has TWO round breather holes (one on top of the other) instead of the single crescent-moon-shaped breather hole on the other nibs. I'm not quite sure what the functions of these two holes is (may be they make the nib more flexible?), they look unusual and interesting anyway. The decorative pattern is also different from the F, M and B nibs.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8102/8616678533_7c730767a0_o.jpg

DSC02156 by onion.bunny, on Flickr

It has the word 'Visconti' on one side...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8525/8616678305_b675af3155_o.jpg

DSC02158 by onion.bunny, on Flickr

... and the word 'Calligraphy' on the other side

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8388/8616678475_31085195d6_o.jpg

DSC02157 by onion.bunny, on Flickr

It also came with a small paper pocket, inside was a thin piece of magnet with the original Visconti top cap. I thought the piece of magnet can be used to take the 'initials' off the cap as well, but it's quite weak and doesn't work. So I guess it's only to stick the tiny magnetic piece on so as not to loose it.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8114/8617784132_819f45395e_o.jpg

DSC02159 by onion.bunny, on Flickr

The tiny Visconti magnet piece magnified

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8396/8617783958_9775cf3825_o.jpg

DSC02161 by onion.bunny, on Flickr

The pen also comes with the Visconti branded converter

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8245/8616677819_c59a9b42e8_o.jpg

DSC02165 by onion.bunny, on Flickr

Here is my writing sample, being a newbie to FP I'm sticking with cartridges for the time being. I'm using the Diamine imperial purple (with another spare cartridge stored in the barrel) It took about 5-10 minutes to start the pen, it can write quite fine but also a bit broader depending on the paper I use. It can flex a bit as well which is a nice feature :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8389/8617783706_a5be608d49_o.jpg

DSC0216622 by onion.bunny, on Flickr

Edited by cwhbin

I have this pen in red and it came with a fine nib which was way too thick of a line for me. I was able to get the same calligraphy nib that you have and I concur with all of your findings. An excellent pen all around. Great review!

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

• 1 year later...

Hi I know this post is a bit older, but I was wondering how you liked the pen over time? Any thoughts or comments on the pen you would like to share?

I like the look of this pen and love calligraphy or stub nibs a lot, so this seems to be a great investment for me (especially because it is purple! yay!) But I wanted to know what your thoughts are on this pen since you have had it for over a year now.

Thank you for the great review! And those photos make the pen look so gorgeous! :)

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about getting one of these in Oklahoma State Cowboy's orange! I was also wondering your thoughts of this pen over time.

Also looking for a place in the US that gas them at a good price?