Parker Frontier Review

jatinsindhu

]The Parker Frontier is one of the more common fountain pens in Indiawhen you enter the sub premium market. It costs more than the cheaper pens likethe Parker Vector but is not very expensive either selling at around Rs 400($8). Here is my review of this pen.

1. Appearance &Design (1-10) – 7/10

The parker frontier is a very simple looking pen. I have two of these pens, one has a body made out of stainless steel and the other one is also stainless steel but has gold plating at certain places. The two pens are decent to look at with nothing out of the ordinary to catch the eye. The Frontier is cigar shaped and is completely smoothened from all sides;there are no edges in this pen, it is all rounded. The body of the pen like a cigar is thicker from the middle and as you move to the extremities the diameter reduces. The pen has the standard parker clip which is in the form ofan arrow with the head of the arrow facing downward. Apart from this arrow shaped clip there is no other mark on this pen which allows you to identify this as a parker from a distance, of course if you see carefully the cap has parker written on it just below the tip of the clip. This is all the detail the pen has, nothing else anywhere, in fact the rear casing of the pen is a simple stainless steel shell with nothing on it whatsoever. The gripping section of the pen is made of plastic. It is comfortable and does its job well. I had no problems of my fingers slipping while writing with this pen. This is a pen which will seldom be noticed because of its design however the stainless steel finish does give it a slightly upmarket feel when you compare it to the other plastic pens which you generally get in this price range.

2. Construction &Quality (1-10) – 5/10

The Parker Frontier stainless steel has a very solidly built outer body.The body is "stainless" steel so you don't have to worry about any scratches or stains on the body. This pen feels very strong and it seems that it can take a lot of abuse (the outer body only). The way the pen opens and closes is reassuring When you unscrew the pen to reveal the converter then also it feels very good for a pen of this cost. The good quality of this pen is however limited to the outer shell only; the rest of the pen is made out of poor quality and you only get to know that after you have used the pen for some time(one year in my case). The gripping section of both the pens I had started to show signs of wear and tear. The plastic has eroded at the point where my fingers are placed on the pen. This is the only pen I have had such an experience with. Same is for the converter. The rubber end of the plunger comes off rendering the converter useless. This is a major problem with parker converters this is less of a problem with the pen itself. (I don't know if Parker makes any other converter other than this but I have not yet come across any other converter by Parker) The converter for this is very cheap and sells for around a dollar and it is not a problem to get a new one.

3. Weight &Dimensions (1-10) – 10/10 There is nothing extraordinary about the weight or dimensions of the pen. Even though the body of the pen is made out of stainless steel the pen does not weigh much and on the contrary feels light. The balance of the pen is also very good, it is well balanced posted as well as non-posted. I however keep my pen posted when I write. The pen may seem to be thicker than your ordinary ball/gel pen but you don't realize this, the gripping section has the proper amount of girth( More than a Lamy). Overall I am happy with both the weight and dimensions of this pen and don't expect any more.

4. Nib & Performance (1-10) – 8/10

The copy of the Parker Frontier that I have has a Medium Nib. The nib is made out of stainless steel and I have had no issues with it. The pen is generally takes no time to start up even if you have not used it for a long time (this also depends on the ink you are using in the pen). Comparing the thickness of the line drawn with a Lamy Safari I find this nib to be slightly broader than the Lamy Medium (which itself is broader than a normal medium I guess). If I objectively compare the width the lines by the two pens I find that both draw a line of the same thickness but I always have a feeling that the line drawn by the Parker is broader. This may be due to the fact that the grip of the Lamy is narrower and it makes an illusion that the line is finer. Anyways I generally write bigger with this pen than I write with a Lamy Medium. The nib was extremely smooth from the very beginning and continues to improve every day. This is one of the smoothest nibs that I have in a pen at this price range. Obviously since the nib is a medium one you are not able to write as fast as you would with a fine nib, and since I find this nib to be broader than the other mediums (even though this may be purely psychological I generally write slower with this pen. I have tried using a fine version of this pen also but that also seems to slow me down. The Lamys on the other hand are very fast. So I guess this has to be something with the design of the Frontier. There is however one very small problem with the nib.If you like your nibs to be spotless and clean with no ink deposits on them then you are in for a tough time. Any ink color shines on the chrome finished nib and is almost impossible to completely get rid of. You can get around it by filing the ink directly into the converter and then inserting the converter into the body,thereby avoiding the nib going into the bottle. Otherwise this is a fantastic nib for a $8 pen.

5. Filling System &Maintenance (1-10) – 6/10 The Parker Frontier uses a cartridge converter filling system that takes the standard Parker converters and cartridges. The converter operates on a push and pulls action where you have to push or pull a small plastic tab for the plunger to go up or down. The converter holds a decent amount of ink and lasts long enough for my daily needs. There is also a small metallic ball in the converter. I am yet to understand the purpose of the ball but it makes a small noise when you shake the pen(though you won't be doing that to a fountain pen).The quality of the converter is not up to the mark. There is a small jerk when you start pushing down the plunger and this sometimes results in the spraying of very small ink droplets from the pen because the air suddenly gushes out.Another problem I have had with a couple of converter is that the rubber of the plunger comes off making it unusable. I have not tried to use any other converter in this pen. I have not yet tried removing the nib of this pen so I don't know whether that would be possible or not. I have not had any issues of maintenance with this pen; it is fairly easy to clean.

6. Cost & Value (1-10) – 9/10

This pen can be bought for Rs 400 in India (approx. $8) id you try hard enough At some places I have seen this very pen being sold at more than twice this amount at Rs 1000 (approx. 20$). So if you try then you can get an extremely good deal for this pen. At $8 this is probably one of the best pens you can get and I have no issues with the price.

7. Conclusion (Final score [sUM/6]: X) 7.5/10

The minor quality issues are overshadowed by the extremely low price for this pen. Being made out of stainless steel it does not feel like a $8 pen and it performs extremely well for its price. It is a good pen. I recommend it.

post-91071-0-93140700-1362566081.jpg

post-91071-0-12522300-1362566086.jpg

post-91071-0-22921300-1362566089.jpg

The wear and tear of the grip section :

post-91071-0-51002600-1362566094.jpg

post-91071-0-19561300-1362566097.jpg

post-91071-0-45598200-1362566099.jpg

Edited by jatinsindhu

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• poxy51

• hari317

• bk123

• jatinsindhu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review Jatin!

I believe you can remove the deteriorated rubberised section coating completely.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thank you Jatin for such a nice detailed review,

I have one frontier made in UK and another is made in India by Luxor. The later one is of bit inferior quality than its UK version .

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

I have 2 Frontiers both made in the USA and the quality is very good. Both pens are great writers and pretty good quality. I would probably rate it a little higher than you did. But overall I like your review.

Poxy

Life is like a 10 speed bike, Most of us have gears we never use. Charles Schulz

An underrated pen. I love my UK-made, medium-nibbed Frontier. It's in my current rotation now, inked with Skrip Black.

Nice review Jatin!

I believe you can remove the deteriorated rubberised section coating completely.

yes. i did that and it looks and feels fine.