Nakaya! Nakaya!

Brand: Nakaya

Model: Deskpen

Finish: Heki-tamenuri

Nib: 14k broad nib plated w/ Rose Gold

Customization: Left Oblique by John Mottishaw

Pen weight and length (uncapped): 22 grams and 7.0"

First Impressions: Delighted!

The order was carefully packaged in a plain brown cardboard box and the pen itself was snug in its kimono inside a very nice wooden presentation box. Here is a link to a www.nibs.com video where John really focuses on the nice presentation materials Nakaya uses.

My first impressions were:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8241/8525772399_ab12b6ba68.jpg

DSCN0176 by marie0718, on Flickr

I was quite anxious that the pen would not match my high expectations. Fortunately, that was wasted energy as the pen far exceeds from appearance to performance.

Appearance & Design: (9+10) = 9.5

The Hemi-tamenuri urushi finish is difficult to describe. When I first saw it on-line, I was less than impressed. However, as I researched this pen purchase the organic earthy look began to appeal to me. The golden brown translucence is unlike any other finish that I've ever seen - simple and yet exquisite.

The design and balance must be felt and experienced to truly appreciate. Just weighing the pen took at least 60 seconds as it rolled one way and then the other! After just a few minutes of writing the pen mechanics fade into the background and I find myself fully immersed in the writing experience. (Until I glance at the pen and become entranced by the finish once again.) I have large hands and appreciate a long pen with a section that narrows and then flares just above the nib. However, when I have gripped the pen on the barrel threads it is still oddly comfortable... there are no rough edges on this pen!!!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8087/8525652007_fe943d06fd.jpg

DSCN0132 by marie0718, on Flickr

Construction & Quality: (7 + 10) = 8.5

First the good news - there are absolutely zero manufacturing flaws or defects with this pen. Is it finely made? Absolutely... I am just going to have to be super careful as I can be very tough on pens and mobile phones! The pen has a very delicate feel and I think that any drop or minor abuse could result in serious damage (hence the low value on construction)... However, I am unwilling to test that hypothesis with a series of stress or drop tests!

Weight & Dimensions: (8 + 10) = 9.0

Very lightweight at 22 grams and very long at 7 inches. Wonderfully balanced! Only con is that it is too large for my Franklin Christoph Penvelope and I do intend to carry the pen so I will have to copy The Ethernautrix's kimono pouch and have purchased a spare kimono.

Nib Performance: 9.0

Nakaya 14k broad nib - rose gold plating adds 50 USD to the cost of the pen. Custom cut by John Mottishaw to left oblique costs an additional 55 USD. And I requested a ink flow or wetness of 7 out of possible 10. ( Dry is 1 and a Wet Noodle is 10).

Although this is my second left oblique by John Mottishaw there is still a slight adjustment period. There is some tooth and slight railroading with this nib but then again that may be new user issues and learning this new pen's sweet spot. It remains to be seen if adjusting to this new left oblique will cause problems when I use my first (Pelikan M805 triple broad.)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8106/8526789472_a10ff7e69f.jpg

DSC_0048 by marie0718, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8100/8525669263_660000c1b6.jpg

DSCN0164 by marie0718, on Flickr

Writing Sample:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8105/8526887978_f01467f97b.jpg

DSCN0180 by marie0718, on Flickr

Filling System & Maintenance: (8 + 10) = 9.0

A Platinum converter is included standard with the pen. Nakaya offers various Maki-e converters but I did not order one with this pen. There are no options for bulb filler or eyedropper and that is why I rated the filling system as only 8.0... and the Maintenance should be low because there are no other filling options.

Cost & Value: (7 + 10) = 8.5

This pen is not cheap at 450 USD. Include the rose gold plated nib and left oblique customization charges for another 105 USD. The pen costs a total of 555 USD. However the workmanship and details such as finish are flawless. Compared to my similarly priced pens (OMAS and Pelikan), my initial impression that this is an outstanding value. I foresee using this pen for decades.

Conclusion: 8.92

Very pleased with this pen. It is not cheap but the balance and finish are flawless. The nib performance will only improve as my muscle memory hones in on this pen's sweet spot without consciously thinking about it.

Side note: Pen stand

Well if I was thrilled with the Deskpen I was equally disappointed in the poor finish matching between the Pen stand and Deskpen. The pen and stand were ordered and shipped together but as you can see in the photos - the finish does not really match. Please note that the pen stand is very nice - I am just disappointed that the finish does not match the pen.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8368/8525662565_1501a8fe84.jpg

DSCN0146 by marie0718, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/8525656621_6c3ee42a3b.jpg

DSCN0133 by marie0718, on Flickrhttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8091/8526779358_95f50671d9.jpg

DSCN0155 by marie0718, on Flickr

After reviewing Multiechelon's wonderful review, I've decided to return this pen stand. It is not a terrible disappointment as I intend to carry the pen with me (even though I know that I will have to up my game on protecting it from damage)... I had only purchased at this time specifically so that it would match the pen in the event that in the future I wanted a pen stand.

Edited by marie9999

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marie9999

• Jonst

• trax

• Uncle Red

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on a beautiful pen! Wow!!!

GReat review, thank you for sharing! :puddle:

If you take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves. -Tibetan saying.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

That's a lovely pen and a great review.

With the money you save by returning the pen stand, perhaps you could buy one of the Nakaya leather pen cases. Assuming it fits, it is likely to provide more protection than the kimono.

Enjoy!

Jon

I LOVE the Desk Pen.

I carry the Desk Pen in its "kimono" (by itself) in a Quiver double pen holder attached to a notebook (Moleskine, Rhodia -- that type), but when I tried smaller notebooks and a notebook with a soft cover -- and I'd brought a few more pens into rotation -- I cleaned the Desk Pen, taking it out of rotation.

I brought it back into rotation yesterday -- and I can't believe I was able not to use it for a month or two or however long it's been. It's has the sweetest ruthenium-plated F nib. Just... such a pleasure to write with.

I hope you enjoy your Desk Pen as much as I enjoy mine (or even half as much, :-) ). I see what you mean about the dark trumpet. Not sure what accounts for the difference, but I really like the dark color of it. (My Desk Pen is kuro tamenuri -- no trumpet.)

Great-writing, beautiful pen.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Sweet pen. Is the nib gold plated steel?

Yes, Congratulations, gorgeous pen, and nib.

I was wondering the same about the plating. The nib has 14K imprint, so I guess it is 14K gold, plated with rose gold? The nibs website information would indicate that.

http://www.nibs.com/NakayaNibsPage.htm

Congrats on a beautiful pen! Wow!!!

GReat review, thank you for sharing! :puddle:

Thanks and I await photos of your new pen once it clears customs!!! :thumbup:

Edited by marie9999

With the money you save by returning the pen stand, perhaps you could buy one of the Nakaya leather pen cases. Assuming it fits, it is likely to provide more protection than the kimono.

Enjoy!

Jon

Jon-

That's a great idea!!! I just checked and because of the adjustable strap any Nakaya, including the Deskpen, will fit!!! Leather Pen Case

At some point this summer, I am hoping that my husband (an amateur woodworker) will create a tube/shell that will hold/protect the Deskpen but wow I can have this pen case by the weekend!

Thanks -

Marie

Sweet pen. Is the nib gold plated steel?

Thanks - I do agree that it is a sweet pen.

The nib is a rose gold plated 14k gold nib. I truly wrestled with whether the extra 50 USD were justified for the rose gold or pink gold plating, but in the end I decided that the rose gold plating had more of the same earthy organic feel that the Heki tamenuri finish exhibits. Would the standard gold nib look fine? Most definitely...

I LOVE the Desk Pen.

I carry the Desk Pen in its "kimono" (by itself) in a Quiver double pen holder attached to a notebook (Moleskine, Rhodia -- that type), but when I tried smaller notebooks and a notebook with a soft cover -- and I'd brought a few more pens into rotation -- I cleaned the Desk Pen, taking it out of rotation.

I brought it back into rotation yesterday -- and I can't believe I was able not to use it for a month or two or however long it's been. It's has the sweetest ruthenium-plated F nib. Just... such a pleasure to write with.

I hope you enjoy your Desk Pen as much as I enjoy mine (or even half as much, :-) ). I see what you mean about the dark trumpet. Not sure what accounts for the difference, but I really like the dark color of it. (My Desk Pen is kuro tamenuri -- no trumpet.)

Great-writing, beautiful pen.

Thank you so much for sharing about your pens and cases! Hopefully you will not mind but I took the liberty of searching through FPN and found a photo of your deskpen Quiver and added to this post.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1349309034__it-20121003_ndeskpen_carry.jpg

That is a fabulous idea! Can't imagine this pen being out of my rotation for many, many months. But I will be changing the "rice ear" ink today - while subtle and "organic" it is just too pale for my day to day usage.

After reading so many good things about the fine ruthenium nib on NFP it is definitely on my radar - would love it on the Nakaya Naka-ai Raden Milky Way. This broad pen jag that I've been on for the past 2 years is a complete deviation from my past preference when the only nibs I wanted were Japanese Fine or European Extra Fines...

[

Yes, Congratulations, gorgeous pen, and nib.

I was wondering the same about the plating. The nib has 14K imprint, so I guess it is 14K gold, plated with rose gold? The nibs website information would indicate that.

http://www.nibs.com/NakayaNibsPage.htm

You are spot on and I will update the original review to show that it is a 14k gold nib.

Fortunately, I am very pleased with how the rose gold plating looks with the Hemi tamenuri finish - I would have really kicked myself it did not complement the pen's appearance.

Enjoy!

Jon

Jon-

That's a great idea!!! I just checked and because of the adjustable strap any Nakaya, including the Deskpen, will fit!!! Leather Pen Case

At some point this summer, I am hoping that my husband (an amateur woodworker) will create a tube/shell that will hold/protect the Deskpen but wow I can have this pen case by the weekend!

Thanks -

Marie

A couple of my oblique holder are nearly a foot long. I carry them in lengths of 1.5" PVC pipe, padded on the inside with foam insulation for 1/2" pipe. I tapered the ends of the tubes very slightly to accept end caps without getting stuck and ended up with pen holders that will withstand nearly anything short of being run over by an Abrams tank. Cost: about $5.00 each.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

[

A couple of my oblique holder are nearly a foot long. I carry them in lengths of 1.5" PVC pipe, padded on the inside with foam insulation for 1/2" pipe. I tapered the ends of the tubes very slightly to accept end caps without getting stuck and ended up with pen holders that will withstand nearly anything short of being run over by an Abrams tank. Cost: about $5.00 each.

Thanks Mickey!

Yet another great idea! I'm off to the home improvement store! :thumbup:

personaly i find the stand quite good with the pen but bah if you don't like it...

very nice pen indeed

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.