How To Make A Wax Seal With Epoxy

sumidero11

Hi every one!!!!! I'm bernabe from Spain and this is my contribution, sorry y horrible English:

How to make a wax seal with Epoxy

In this simple tutorial, I show you how I created a custom wax seal, without much financial outlay.

How to make your own custom sealing wax

[VIDEO]

[/VIDEO]

I first tried to do this with wax seal wood.

Lacre002.jpg

Lacre010.jpg

The results were not all bad, but I was very complicated and burn me twice.

I decided to find an easier way to craft a seal wax.

MATERIALS:

For the development of our own custom wax seal, we will need:

•  
  • Bottle stoppers or similar containers (depending on the diameter we want).
  • 2B graphite pencil (HB can be if you do not have, but the more B is softer the graphite and is to be transferred better design our logo).
  • Epoxy Putty. Did not know what the Epoxy? . (in the "Chinese" from 1 € I've seen).
  • Gloves (The manufacturer's recommended epoxy putty to avoid "allergies", I have not used to be very difficult to handle, i finish washed my hands and I have not noticed, but then it will go with every skin type, however is not corrosive, do not worry).

lacre018.jpg

We will choose the image, logo or whatever we want to capture in the wax seal (Start with something simple, practice makes perfect).'ve Done in this tutorials are letter A with some ornamentation.

1. Drawn with pencil on paper, respecting margins diameter plug that we use. The image is drawn as it would on paper.

lacre014.jpg

2. Together the two parts of the epoxy and knead until no streaks.

Lacre001.jpg

3. We introduce into the cap and smoothed until it is flush can help plug a flat surface, pressing and cutting off excess.

Lacre009.jpg

4. We put our cap with epoxy putty mixed up our "logo" and exert a little pressure.

lacre016.jpg

5. The image has been transferred to the epoxy and will serve as a guide.

lacre015.jpg

6. Let "drawing" with pencil above our logo exerting little pressure gradually until the desired depth.

Lacre008.jpg

Tip: Let dry a little dough will be very soft as to draw the attention up, will sink easily and deformed like a gum. But do not expect much, it dries very quickly.

Tip: dip your pen with water.

7. Little by little we will be applying more force, since the mass will harden over time and asking for "smoothing" better with our pencil.

(You can use whatever you want for this process, I use pencil for highlighting what I'm drawing in black. Could be a tip of a nail, a wooden stick .... etc).

Lacre006.jpg

8. And expect it to dry completely. And we will have our seal stamp over. It only remains to prove it.

Really the next step is not necessary!!!!!

I recommend it (although not necessary) before putting the wax seal over pass this by a napkin or paper with a little bit of vegetable oil, not much, not necessary that this super anointed. With a light coating will prevent the wax from sticking to the seal and remain on paper if the tire tread we have chosen is very fine.

Lacre005.jpg

Lacre004.jpg

9. And already you have received your wax seal.

Lacre003.jpg

And other labels that I've done:

lacre020.jpg

lacre019.jpg

As I said before "with practice makes perfect". Every time you come out better, caulk is cheap and the same package out various labels.

It is just your imagination, and desire to do so, and of course letters and envelopes that seal.

Write it has been said, and you have no excuse not to decorate your personal mail.

A hug and hope that at least I have entertained this tutorial.

You can see more tutorial in http://fountainpenland.blogspot.com.es/

My web-blog:

FPNheader-transparentepaxticolor.png

www.FountainPenLand.com

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sumidero11

• Joker4Eva

• Pterodactylus

• bogiesan

That's a pretty good idea.

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."

-John Quincy Adams

"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it will get you the right ones."

-John Lennon

Smart idea.

the necessity the mother of invention

My web-blog:

www.FountainPenLand.com

That was cool! Beautiful seals! :) :) :)

If you take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves. -Tibetan saying.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

That is a good tutorial, very clear. Your seals turned out well. The amount of detail you got with your pencil is impressive.

Bernabe, your seals are amazingly good! I particularly like the one with your name and the horse, which has a medieval feel to it.

I hadn't thought of epoxy or the pencil trick. I'd been thinking of using Fimo clay, and using Fimo moulds or cheap jewellery parts from eBay (search eBay for antique bronze findings, for example) to make up for my lack of artistic talent. But the pencil trick will help me add my own decorations, and putting epoxy in a bottle cap solves the problem of how to preserve the shape of the Fimo while working on it. Thank you!

And you can even get a 26mm x 19mm Hello Kitty mould from eBay!

Bernabe, your seals are amazingly good! I particularly like the one with your name and the horse, which has a medieval feel to it.

I hadn't thought of epoxy or the pencil trick. I'd been thinking of using Fimo clay, and using Fimo moulds or cheap jewellery parts from eBay (search eBay for antique bronze findings, for example) to make up for my lack of artistic talent. But the pencil trick will help me add my own decorations, and putting epoxy in a bottle cap solves the problem of how to preserve the shape of the Fimo while working on it. Thank you!

And you can even get a 26mm x 19mm Hello Kitty mould from eBay!

I'm very pleased that this tutorial will inspire you to make your creations. It was what I wanted. You can also sink a brooch or pendant in epoxy and this will catch your way, do not draw

the seal you refer is a imitation of a templar seal:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6cIqgBBaRF0/UNeXRd4wj9I/AAAAAAAAgx0/8x70chp5qoc/s1600/g-sello-templario.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2IR1U0_gVNk/UNeXPyx638I/AAAAAAAAgxc/JIhPWd5bbcI/s320/g-emblematemplario.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uiiXe2xJPJw/UNeXQXSnTPI/AAAAAAAAgxk/dRYj8ylP4qI/s320/g-huellasellotemplario.jpg

I think you can do much better than me with a little practice

patxi-2012-estudiando.png

Edited by sumidero11
My web-blog:

www.FountainPenLand.com

Wow, nice job! Was wondering if the same would be possible for polymer clay? I've read that it shrinks very little while curing in a baking oven, and was wondering if it could be done. :hmm1:

Wow, nice job! Was wondering if the same would be possible for polymer clay? I've read that it shrinks very little while curing in a baking oven, and was wondering if it could be done. :hmm1:

I think so, but clay is very porous, and sealing could stick. give it a try and tell us the results.

Clay is cheaper than the epoxy.

My web-blog:

www.FountainPenLand.com

I think so, but clay is very porous, and sealing could stick. give it a try and tell us the results.

Clay is cheaper than the epoxy.

Ok, that I didn't know.

I don't currently have the resources to do this, but I might try it out perhaps during the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Polymer clays can be researched thoroughly on the interwebs. As an art/craft medium, there are millions of practitioners. Properly cured in an oven, the material shold be nearly impermeable but it can accept many different coatings. Some are applied before baking and form a chemical bond iwth the surface.

Sumidero, your post was well-written and illustrated, thank you for starting the thread. Using a pencil tip as an engraving tool is a cool idea. Low impace, easily obtained, and the tool itself dictates the style.

Approaching this project, I'd automatically be thinking of x-acto gouges and knives, the types of tools I use to carve my own rubber stamps using white erasers. More skilled or better equipped seal makers might use their Dremel roatary tools to engrave designs out of a hardened medium like epoxy buttons or polymer clay blanks.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Sumidero - I was looking at wax seals on the net when I switched to this thread. What an excellent idea and the tutorial is very helpful.

I think I will try tomorrow with epoxy putty and a Dremel. Thanks again!

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.