Visconti + Bryant Greer =...

Jonst

This will be a shamelessly shallow and superficial review because I bought this pen for my wife’s birthday, which is later this year, and so I haven’t actually dipped, inked or used the pen! However, the saving grace of this review is that there are plenty of photos and this is a photogenic pen!

1. First Impressions

Umm, shiny!

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Visconti%20Skeleton/DSCN0391_zpsebc528bd.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Visconti%20Skeleton/DSCN0392_zpsf5fe3fdf.jpg

2. Appearance and design

I think that the original Skeleton in titanium is a classic design because it’s clean and modern and interesting . From a pen user’s point of view the Skeleton has the advantage of being a demonstrator (so you can see the volume of ink) but the overlay helps to mask the sight of ink getting into “unusual” places (which is my experience of pure demonstrators). Given the original design was fantastic, I think that it’s great that Bry has teamed up again with Visconti to produce 4 new variants on the design. This one in rhodium plated sterling silver but also vermeil, carbon fibre and Alutec (essentially woven aluminium fibre). My wife prefers heavier pens, so the choice of the sterling silver model was fairly easy, although I think she might also like the Alutec version (or at least I do!). Rockspyder, if you are reading this, perhaps I could prevail upon you to post a picture of all 4 models?

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Visconti%20Skeleton/DSCN0400_zpsacff01d1.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Visconti%20Skeleton/DSCN0396_zps697f1677.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Visconti%20Skeleton/DSCN0398_zpsfa0ab5b0.jpg

3. Weight and dimensions

By most standards it’s a large pen – 14cm capped and about 60 grams in weight but it’s about 1 cm shorter than a Carbon Dream and 0.5 cm shorter than a Black Ripple. The Carbon Dream is 53 grams and the Ripple is 67 grams. They are all about the same girth.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Visconti%20Skeleton/DSCN0409_zps057e8c01.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Visconti%20Skeleton/DSCN0414_zpse9216e26.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Visconti%20Skeleton/DSCN0412_zps2f28c7b6.jpg

4. Nib and performance

This pen has an extra-fine palladium nib but since I haven’t used it I will have to comment by proxy! My Black Ripple has the same extra-fine nib and it’s great. It’s a bit moist (which can be an issue on the rubbish copier paper I have to use at work) but it’s smooth and starts every time. There is no flex in it (at least not at the level of pressure that I am willing to exert on it!). The only difference with the nib on the Skeleton is that it is monotone, which works nicely with the silver colour of the rest of the pen.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Visconti%20Skeleton/DSCN0403_zps85064d15.jpg

5. Filling system

This pen (like the Carbon Dream and Black Ripple) has the double reservoir power filler. I initially thought that this filling mechanism was a bit of a pain but I have gotten used to it now and the volume of ink that these pens hold is very impressive. For her work, my wife attends long meetings involving lots of note taking. I think that the combination of a large volume of ink and the extra-fine nib mean that she is unlikely to run out during a meeting, which is the case with her current pens.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Visconti%20Skeleton/DSCN0409_zps057e8c01.jpg

6. Cost and value

Expensive ($1200) but that is to be expected given that there is a small run of only 22 of these pens. The pen feels very well made and worth the money. I understand that there were some issues with the original Skeletons but these seem to have been resolved as the filling system has been developed over the intervening years.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Visconti%20Skeleton/DSCN0397_zps65829ab0.jpg

7. Conclusion

It’s a beautiful, expensive, relatively large and heavy, well made pen with a large ink capacity. I have shown it to my wife and she loves it. I am now in her good books, what more could I want (except a Skeleton for myself)!

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Visconti%20Skeleton/DSCN0415_zpsdea61cea.jpg

Best wishes

Jon

PS. My thanks to Bry for having the idea of a silver version of the Skeleton and for having the contacts to be able to bring it to fruition and to Rockspyder for sharing his insight on the Skeleton.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jonst

• raging.dragon

• ink mixer

• bdk

[...] what more could I want (except a Skeleton for myself)! [...]

Maybe your wife will get you one for birthday too?

[...] what more could I want (except a Skeleton for myself)! [...]

Maybe your wife will get you one for birthday too?

I live in hope but that hope is really futile since my wife thinks I already have enough pens. From a rational point of view I can't really argue with her!

Lovely! I saw them at the LA Pen Show. I guess the rose gold is more popular, but I liked the silver the best. I'm still thinking about getting one.

Lovely! I saw them at the LA Pen Show. I guess the rose gold is more popular, but I liked the silver the best. I'm still thinking about getting one.

Thanks ink mixer.

The vermeil model looks very nice but a bit to much "bling" for my wife to use in the office and at meetings. Most non-pen people will assume the silver model is steel or aluminium, to the extent that they notice the pen at all!

Beautiful pen.

My birthday is in June. :)

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Beautiful pen.

My birthday is in June. :)

Thanks Pentulant.

If you send me your credit card details and your date of birth I will ensure that you get a suitable present on the big day!!

Very beautiful pen. Out of the three models you have showed I actually only like this one.

It is as if the nib is one with the pen, instead of a part, the design has a very natural flow. All the best to your wife.

(Is this, btw, the palladium Dreamtouch nib? I own a Opera with the Dreamtouchnib, bicolored...)

Poetry I write: http://eendichter.nl (mostly english, occasional dutch)

Very beautiful pen. Out of the three models you have showed I actually only like this one.

It is as if the nib is one with the pen, instead of a part, the design has a very natural flow. All the best to your wife.

(Is this, btw, the palladium Dreamtouch nib? I own a Opera with the Dreamtouchnib, bicolored...)

Thanks bdk.

Yes, it is the palladium Dreamtouch nib but it has no gold plating.

I have the silver skeleton and love it. Bryant is a great pen seller.

The pen is a daily work horse and is working out great.

enjoy!

Classics

"Churn the Butter"

I covet the Alutec version. Just a bit hefty considering my experiences with other (cheaper) Viscontis and their reliability...

Too many pens; too little writing.

Thanks Spatr26. I am envious of your original titanium version.

Thanks Classics. I am glad to hear that the pen is working out well for you. I haven't let my wife use it yet but I have let her have a play with the Black Ripple with the same, extra fine, nib and she likes that.

Mongrelnomad, sorry to hear about your issues with other Viscontis. I have been lucky and my existing two have been great and I am sure my wife won't have any problems with this one. If I'm wrong I will be in trouble, not least because I'm sure the warranty won't cover compensation for marital problems arising from a defective pen!! The Alutec looks lovely but, as you probably know, it is a bit more expensive, it's part of a larger run and it's not exclusive to Bry.

looks very nice,i love skeleton pens,they always look so.....i don't know but i love it!

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Thanks Spatr26. I am envious of your original titanium version.

Thanks Classics. I am glad to hear that the pen is working out well for you. I haven't let my wife use it yet but I have let her have a play with the Black Ripple with the same, extra fine, nib and she likes that.

Mongrelnomad, sorry to hear about your issues with other Viscontis. I have been lucky and my existing two have been great and I am sure my wife won't have any problems with this one. If I'm wrong I will be in trouble, not least because I'm sure the warranty won't cover compensation for marital problems arising from a defective pen!! The Alutec looks lovely but, as you probably know, it is a bit more expensive, it's part of a larger run and it's not exclusive to Bry.

I believe the Alutex is exclusive to Bryant.

Congratulations ink mixer. I hope you enjoy the pen.

raging.dragon, I am sure I saw a post from Bry saying that the Alutex is not exclusive to him and that is why there are 88 of them, rather than just 22 as for the other models. Of course, I can't find the post now! Certainly, if you do a Google search, you'll find a number of retailers offering the Alutex model. I assume that they are selling them in their own right and are not buying from Bry and reselling.

Congratulations ink mixer. I hope you enjoy the pen.

raging.dragon, I am sure I saw a post from Bry saying that the Alutex is not exclusive to him and that is why there are 88 of them, rather than just 22 as for the other models. Of course, I can't find the post now! Certainly, if you do a Google search, you'll find a number of retailers offering the Alutex model. I assume that they are selling them in their own right and are not buying from Bry and reselling.

It seems you are correct.