Twsbi Mini Review

akustyk

First impressions

Many serious fountain pen users tend to obsess about gear. I mean it very affectionately, of course. Many of us have expensive pens in our collection, pens with gold nibs, vintage pens, pens with great sentimental value, etc. We tend to treat such pens with care, keep them in beautiful display boxes, or stowed away in cozy leather cases.

Even if we do most of our writing digitally these days, we often come across situations where we have to use a pen, be it for signing receipts, filling out forms, taking notes on the go, making shopping lists, etc. Sometimes, it's just convenient to grab the ballpoint pen attached to the office clipboard and just use it, instead of breaking out that vintage Sheaffer or SE Montblanc, though I am sure some people do that.

Photographers have a saying, the best camera is the one you have with you, and I think this applies to fountain pens as well. Though I think of my Visconti Homo Sapiens as one of my best pens, I wouldn't dream of using it to fill out a form printed on cheap office paper. It would bleed right through the page, making a mess. But, the TWSBI Mini might work like a champ on any paper, for any reasonable writing task. And the thing is, I can easily always have it with me! That was my motivation behind buying the Mini, and it exceeded my expectations.

Appearance & Design (10/10)

One thing that always bugged me about the 540 and Vac700 was that all of them are demonstrators. While I have nothing, in principle, against demonstrators, somehow the TWSBI pens looked cheap and toy-like as demonstrators. Maybe it was the material, maybe the faceted barrel, I am not sure, but the transparent look never appealed to me. Therefore, when I found out that the Mini is available in opaque black, I knew I had to have it.

The pen is designed beautifully. It's got perfect visual balance of a black faceted barrel with its ability to “catch” reflections of light, the chrome accents being of just the right size, even the cap and clip not seeming too large or bulky. All the functional and visual aspects of the pen are in perfect harmony. Very few pens every achieve this type of harmony, the Lamy 2000 being one notable example of a beautifully harmoniously design. I think that the Mini joins this exclusive club, easily.

The cap is small and seems in perfect proportion to the rest of the pen, both in capped and posted configurations. It has the gorgeous TWSBI logo on the top. The clip works very well and looks good, too. The chrome ring has the model designation engraved on it, and it looks very good, with an implied, non-distracting look. I would prefer a different choice of font for the word “mini” but it's a minor detail.

The end cap, which also doubles up as the piston turning knob, is of just the right size to allow for effortless operation even for people with large fingers. The threads are an unusual element, as most fountain pens do not have threaded end caps. However, they're very subtle and do not distract from the overall design. I guess that their utility outweighs their potential visual distraction.

I was worried that the grip section would be too small and too thin for my hand. For example, the grip section on the Edison Premiere, especially with its concave profile, is too thin for me. However, I found the grip section of the Mini to be perfect. Really. When I hold the pen, my fingers do touch the threads, but not in an offensive or unpleasant manner. In fact, my fingers touch threads on a lot of pens, including my Pelikan M800. The chrome lip on the end of the section helps rest my fingers and hold them in place, which I appreciate a lot. Again, this shows how nicely designed this pen is, how well-balanced all the functional and visual elements are.

The pen is meant to be used posted, and, as such, is of just the right length and weight. I am sure most of you have had pens that are too small unposted, but too top-heavy posted. But the Mini is just the right size posted. It's perfectly balanced and feels very comfortable to hold.

The threading of the cap is perhaps the most controversial feature of this pen. The Diamond 540 doesn't post well at all, but the Mini does, and does so gracefully. Again, a well-chosen visual and functional element, the threaded end cap provides excellent utility and helps hold the cap securely in place. All that without creating unnecessary marks on the barrel (as in my Pelikan M800) or being loose. The cap screws on and rotates so that it ends up in the right spot. Brilliant.

Finally the nib. Yes, the nib review belongs in a separate section, but this is about the size of the nib. It's not easy to pick just the right physical size of a nib so that it fits in with the rest of the pen, not just aesthetically but also functionally. This nib is of just the right size, it makes writing easier, more pleasant. Some of the less expensive pens often have no choice but to get an off-the-shelf #6 nib, for example, but sometimes such nibs do not fit the overall design of a pen. The Mini is a notable exception.

Construction & Quality (10/10)

The Mini oozes quality! And not just for a $50 pen, for any pen, really. I think that the material is robust, the manufacturing obviously done with utmost precision. There's nothing loose, crooked, misaligned, unfinished. The Noodler's Ebonite Konrad, roughly in the same price range, has a lot of small manufacturing imperfections, scratches, cracks, etc. However, the Mini looks like a pen many times its price. This is not meant to criticize, it's just to emphasize the fact that making such a well-made piston filler for $50 retail is really not easy.

Weight & Dimensions (10/10)

This is my perfect size and weight, at least posted. Awesome. Could have asked for more.

Nib & Performance (10/10)

I prefer fine and extra fine nibs for daily writing, partly to suit my handwriting, but partly due to the practical considerations, such as writing on random paper, copy paper, college notebooks, etc., so this nib works very well for my needs.

I bought the Mini to be my everyday pen, suitable for any paper. As such, the XF nib on the Mini is perfect. With Noodler's Black, it has steady flow, right in the middle of the wetness scale, with no skipping or hard starts. Sometimes, the nib will dry out every so slightly when left uncapped, but that happens only with Noodler's Black, and never with, say Waterman Florida Blue.

The pen works particularly well in tight spaces, such as in my Habana journal. But it is also perfect for filling out business or medical forms, for signing checks, for writing notes to my son's teacher, for making my reading notes, etc. In fact, I have yet to come across a writing scenario that the pen would not be able to handle like a champ.

So here's my conclusion about the nib. This is the best everyday nib I own. Yes, I have nibs that are better, flexier, softer, smoother, wetter, but they all require special paper to shine. However, this nib works on any paper, equally well. It even works well with carbon copies! That's a very, very versatile nib. Besides its unquestionable utility, it is fun to use. It's rigid, but not overly so. It can even get you some line variation, by changing ink flow with pressure, rather than flexing the tines. I think that this feed is really good. The nib is never starved for ink. My biggest complaint of most of the plastic feed, cheap, German nibs is that those feeds are so stingy, in my experience, at least. This feed works just right.

Filling System & Maintenance (10/10)

What? A piston filler in a pocket-sized pen? You must be kidding!

Cost & Value (10/10)

I've tried to find a more suitable everyday pen, at any reasonable price, but until I got the Mini, I'd not been able to find such a pen. Sure, the Lamy Safari with a XF nib can be very good, but it's too big to fit in a pocket, and the cap is too easy to accidentally slip off. The combination of the build quality, features, and writing performance, make this an incredible value. It's the best value in a fountain pen currently on the market. I can't think of any other pen that would come even close. The Noodler's pens are cheap but unreliable. The Pilot Prera is good but it is not nearly as beautifully designed and is CC, with a slip cap. The list goes on. The only pen that comes close is the Pelikan M200, but at twice the price, and without the portability advantage.

Conclusion (Final score, 60/60)

If Pelikan made this kind of pen, even at twice the price, it would be a hit, I am sure. But the fact that TWSBI was able to pull this off, is a miracle in the world of fountain pens. Here we have a beautiful, sturdy, versatile, reliable writer that ticks all the boxes for a great fountain pen, yet manages to add the portability advantage at an unbelievably low price. How awesome is that!

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag32/akustyk/IMG_6501_zps534dbc3d.jpg

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag32/akustyk/IMG_6502_zps368a5caa.jpg

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag32/akustyk/IMG_6503_zpsbd436417.jpg

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag32/akustyk/twsbiMiniWritingSample_zpsa4777d50.jpg

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• akustyk

• Saintpaulia

• inotrym

• Veda2013

Great review, now I want one twice as badly!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Thanks for a great review akustyk, although I'm not too happy about it. blush.gif

I have already spent more than enough on Pens and ink so far this year and now I want one of these. I love my 2 540's and if it is anything like them, it must be a fabulous pen.

Hmmm... I noticed that you didn't append the "I have no affiliation with..." disclaimer, therefor with a score of 60/60, I can only conclude that... :D

In all seriousness, I'm glad you posted this review. I wouldn't have considered the Mini before but I may have to check it out, and put it on my list of pens for future "gift events."

Hmmm... I noticed that you didn't append the "I have no affiliation with..." disclaimer, therefor with a score of 60/60, I can only conclude that... :D

In all seriousness, I'm glad you posted this review. I wouldn't have considered the Mini before but I may have to check it out, and put it on my list of pens for future "gift events."

Well, I've written a few reviews here, and this is my first 100% score. I honestly can't find anything that I would knock points off for. Seriously, this is such a great little pen. Sure, a 14k nib would have been softer, but I probably would not pay $200 just to have a 14k nib. This steel nib is good enough for me for my daily writing. It's not very expressive, but it's precise and fun to use.

What I find very interesting is that this pen is put together so well. You can't see any imperfections, manufacturing defects. The materials ooze quality. The only thing that I would prefer is a matte finish, but that is a very small thing.

---

Well, I've written a few reviews here, and this is my first 100% score. I honestly can't find anything that I would knock points off for. Seriously, this is such a great little pen. Sure, a 14k nib would have been softer, but I probably would not pay $200 just to have a 14k nib. This steel nib is good enough for me for my daily writing. It's not very expressive, but it's precise and fun to use.

What I find very interesting is that this pen is put together so well. You can't see any imperfections, manufacturing defects. The materials ooze quality. The only thing that I would prefer is a matte finish, but that is a very small thing.

Again, I really wouldn't have considered it until I read your review. Today I looked around the "usual websites" and there seems to be general agreement that it is a good pen, especially for every day use. It's good to see someone putting the attention to detail and quality that Speedy does to get consistently good reviews.

Your review and the photo heavy one that is also up are really moving me to buy one. I also like the variety of nib sizes available....I am also considering a 1.1 stub italic.

From what I see on reviews there seems a steady improvement in the quality and QC with the twsbi lineup....the forthcoming 580 will be very interesting.

I have to say, as a retailer of this the TWSBI line and including the mini, I found this review to me very educational. I learned a great deal about the pen as well as so of the features our customers value in a new fountain pen.

Thank you for such an in-depth review akustyk.

Edited by richardandtracy
Remove a rulebreaking advertising link.

Great review, now I want one twice as badly!

When someone writes such a positive review we all want one!

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Great review but costly!

I just returned from the Baltimore Pen Show with my new TWSBI Mini Classic with the 1.1m nib. Had no intention of getting this pen until I read this review last night.

Great review. I hadn't really considered getting one but will now have to check them out at the Long Island show.

Honestly I think the Sailor Saporro mini will prove to be the pen you want to keep in your collections over the longer haul.....but I may be wrong. I think the mini twsbi is a pen I will trade for or buy used at a pen show too.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

After a few days of writing with the Mini as my primary pen, I have made the following additional observations:

•  
  • I love the TWSBI logo and its placement on the top of the cap.
  • Ink flow has increased by about 1 point on the 10-point scale, the nib feels even smoother.
  • The black finish is a fingerprint magnet.

---

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly I think the Sailor Saporro mini will prove to be the pen you want to keep in your collections over the longer haul.....but I may be wrong. I think the mini twsbi is a pen I will trade for or buy used at a pen show too.

Sailor Saporro mini looks like a $165 pen.

This is a great review and excellent job. I also have the black version and it has held up extemly well and carried in my front pocket since the pen came out. Still looks like brand new. It’s definitely my favorite TWSBi pen and for a mini pen it seems to hold a decent amount of ink. I highly recommend the pen and have never had a customer not like it.

May I ask the happy owners of the Mini how well does the plastic hold?

I like the idea of a transparent pen and bought the Lamy Vista, but after a day or two I started noticing tiny scratches on the inside of the cap. Will I have the same problem with the mini?

May I ask the happy owners of the Mini how well does the plastic hold?

I like the idea of a transparent pen and bought the Lamy Vista, but after a day or two I started noticing tiny scratches on the inside of the cap. Will I have the same problem with the mini?

There is something of a current debate going on with regard to the TWSBI pens, and not just the Mini. Reports of the plastic barrel cracking in different places are common. But there are also very positive reports, such as the one above. What to believe? Obviously there is a problem, no one argues with that. The question is how big a problem? how often does this cracking manifest? Also to consider is this: TWSBI has a reputation for standing behind their products. I have been told by reliable retailers that if any such cracking did occur on a pen, said pen could be returned for repair or replacement.

Thanks for your answer. :)

Yes, I have read nothing but praises for the TWSBI after-sale service policy.

I am not asking about cracks though (TWSBI is willing to take full responsibility, so I am ok with that)

I am asking about superficial scratches. They do not interfere with the pen's function, they just ruin it aesthetically.

Am I going to have this kind of problem with a mini?

Thanks for your answer. :)

Yes, I have read nothing but praises for the TWSBI after-sale service policy.

I am not asking about cracks though (TWSBI is willing to take full responsibility, so I am ok with that)

I am asking about superficial scratches. They do not interfere with the pen's function, they just ruin it aesthetically.

Am I going to have this kind of problem with a mini?

My mini has been in constant use since December and it still looks brand new. I'm not throwing it around, but I'm impressed the finish with even so. I have had a few similarly priced acrylic pens that wasted no time acquiring character marks. The TWSBI is definitely a few cuts above those.

Edited by hot cocoa

That's great news!!! Thanks for your reply!

Initially, I wanted the clear demonstrator. Then, I started looking at the classic version because I was hesitant about the "character marks" thing. Now, I want both!!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by inotrym