Sheaffer Tm Touchdown Admiral

PHDT

Introduction

I was looking around trying to find another pen to purchase and this one caught my eye. I wanted something older and something I could start collecting if I enjoyed it. First impressions were – since there is a long history for Sheaffer pens – is that this would be a decent choice.

This is my first Sheaffer pen that I would consider 'legit.' I'm far more familiar with the Sheaffer calligraphy packs you get at craft stores and I'm still trying to work around that set stereotype of cheapness when it comes to this brand. I have to force myself to realize that their entire company isn't based on these cheap calligraphy sets and their history is rather long with a strong following. And that their manufacturing of fine writing instruments continues to this day.

Appearance & Design (9)

The pen itself is an olive green type color. It's very rich and dark. Considering the pen was manufactured in the 50s, its condition is still very good. The imprint is still strong enough to be clearly read but it is clear this wasn't an unused pen.

Design wise, its lines are appealing to the eye. They're smooth and elegant. Streamlined. The design is simplistic and in a way like it's cutting down to the basics: barrel, cap, cap band, and clip. The clip matches the overall design with a pleasing rounded taper with it being thicker at the top than the bottom. It sets a suitable counterpoint visually for the rest of the pen. The band is thick and a definite accent for the pen. It matches the clip in color. Being gold, they add a touch of warmness to the otherwise cool green color that dominates the pen.

I believe that due to this simplicity, I would consider this a 'sleeper' pen – similar to how cars can be labeled sleepers: it has a simple appearance, but it has a beast inside.

http://i45.tinypic.com/zpzee.jpg

Construction & Quality (9)

Considering the age and the quality of the pen, I would say this is a rather obvious section. The construction is very solid.

The main material used looks and feels like a cheaper plastic but slightly 'warmer' when compared to their modern calligraphy pens that I'm familiar with. It's an odd way to describe it, but it's softer and less harsh as well. Maybe it's the age giving it this aura...

Even to this day, the threads are strong and clear. The section rippling (correct word?) is also crisp and strong. Despite it's cheap appearance (again, the 'sleeper' attitude), this pen has a high degree of quality to it. While the material seems cheap, when held it simply feels 'strong.'

Weight & Dimensions (8)

This is light-weight pen. It is slender as well. In my paw, it borders being too small to use over a period of time, but it has just enough girth in the section. I would consider its length to be an average length of a fountain pen. Though it can be posted, the cap sits pretty high so I would consider this a pen that is optional capping unlike other pens where its dimensions are crafted on purpose for the pen to post or not post.

After wearing this in a front pocket for a while, it's length is a bit too long to get it to sit snugly without it stressing the fabric of the pocket. If it were a tad shorter, its length would be ideal for pocket presentation and carry. When within the front pocket, it has just enough girth to make it noticed but not a gaudy statement.

http://i45.tinypic.com/r7169x.jpg

Length (in/mm)

Capped: 5.088/129.24

Uncapped: 4.458/113.24

Posted: 5.989/152.12

Nib & Performance (10)

This is where the 'sleeper' statement gets to be explained. This pen comes equipped with a #5 nib. The design of it makes it one of the most beautiful nibs I have due to it's simplicity alone. The lines of the nib complement the overall design.

Width (in/mm): 0.0365/0.92

Length (in/mm): 0.7295/18.53

Performance? I can't stop writing with it. It begs to be written with. It's smooth, silky. It has some flex that provides a cushion when writing, but the nib maintains it's width consistently throughout the writing process. Ink flow is flawless and for me just right. On Rhodia paper using Pelikan 4001 Black, there is no echo or feathering. I have used it in one of my many Moleskine notebooks with excellent results as well.

I simply cannot get enough of this nib... and currently it has me somewhat speechless as to how to describe it's beauty. For me it's sheer addictive writing joy.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2llkl8w.jpg

Line Thickness Variance (in/mm)*:

Thinnest: 0.015/0.38

Thickest: 0.0395/1

*Done with Pelikan 4001 Black on Rhodia Webbie paper.

Filling System & Maintenance (8)

Sheaffer Touchdown filling system. This is my first filler system of this type. Matter of fact, I hadn't heard of it until I saw the pen and did some research. The filling system is very original in my mind. Though it may not hold a lot of ink – and relies on several physical/mechanical things for it work properly – it seems to be fairly reliable and easily fixable.

I find this system rather fun and enjoyable to use. It's definitely a head-turner when demonstrated to another person who isn't familiar with fountain pens and the various ways they can be filled. My partner gave the “What the hell?” face... which was rather amusing.

Maintenance is minimal. Usual regular upkeep is highly recommended however. Checking the sac and filling system occasionally would be a good idea. Cleaning is as simple as giving it a few pumps to clean the nib and sac then a few more pumps to push out any remaining fluid. While it might take longer, at least it's entertaining in the process!

Cost & Value (9)

I feel alright with the amount I paid for it. Excluding S&H, it was $55. I've seen some go for far less ($35 being an example) but the reliability of the seller and the possibility of the pen not working or poor condition always floats in the back of my mind. I kind of felt like I had buyer's assurance with that price, a comfort blanket if you will.

Value... I've seen more costly Sheaffers that don't work at one of the antique malls I go to so that adds value for me. The pen works perfectly and is in amazing condition. The history of it's short lived manufacture (1950-52), the nib, and the simplistic looks add further value.

Conclusion (8.83)

My conclusion? I'm addicted. I try to cycle through all my pens fairly equally if they allow themselves to be written with outside of a Rhodia journal, but I feel that like my Pelikan (my current go-to) this one might get a larger share than the rest. When combined into one package, it's an amazing pen that really was built to last ages if taken care of.

Everything about this pen defines what a classic, vintage fountain pen is all about. And while some pens that fulfill those criteria disappoint, this one certainly does not.

Note: I swear the light box and new lens are on their way...

Edited by PHDT
fpn_1303938288__hp_inkdrop.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PHDT

• nm4

• Uncle Red

• Montblanc owner and lover

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice,i love the green color...

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Sheaffer Touchdown fillers are great pens. I think the TM in the name means Thin Model so you can look for a fatter one.

Oh, and look up Chilton pens and The new Edison Pneumatic pen.

Edited by Uncle Red

Just sold mine in this color...and looking at yours makes me...well let's just say "with envy."

Lovely review. Great pen.

Cheers,

NM

Aww, I'm sorry to hear. Hopefully the funds gotten from the sale were put to good use though! :) Thank you for the compliment!

very nice,i love the green color...

Yes, I agree. :) The pictures don't show it very well, but it's such a rich green. When I first saw it, I was completely thrown off. It looks darker in pictures. I'll update this one with better pictures when I get a better camera set-up!

Sheaffer Touchdown fillers are great pens. I think the TM in the name means Thin Model so you can look for a fatter one.

Oh, and look up Chilton pens and The new Edison Pneumatic pen.

Yeah, the TM means Thin Model. The originals had only a 18 month run before the TMs were released. The originals, I believe, ran from 1949-50. Maybe it was 1948... They're much harder to find than the TM models, but I do plan on searching!

I'll definitely look up Chilton pens. I didn't know Edison came out with a pneumatic! I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

fpn_1303938288__hp_inkdrop.jpg