Ahab Stub Replacement Nib 1.1 Stub Review

rhodialover

This is my first review, so please bear with me and excuse any omissions or mistakes. Some time back there was a thread on alternate nibs for the Noodlers Ahab flex pen, and upon going to the site, I was greeted by a pleasant surprise in the form of a stub for the Ahab. I jumped on it and when I got it, I must say I fell for it quite quickly. Now onto the review portion.

First Impressions 8.5/10

Stubby to say the least (see the pun there?). I found it to be a very simple yet elegant design and immediately liked it.

Construction 7/10

Steel and more unplated steel, this nib is getting extra points because its not trying to be something its not. I should mention I'm OCD about exactness so these measurements are insanely overdone. They were taken with a high precision aircraft parts caliper, so any errors are my own. L. is 1.479" Thickness is .0147" Width of shoulder is .332" Width of end of the nib is .239"

Width of tip is .043" (1.09 mm) Breather hole diameter is .035" Nib Slit (measured from breather hole to tip) is .432" in L.

Performance 10/10

This nib performs just as well as the one on my Pelikan M600. Compare the cost of the two.$9 vs. $140. However the Pelikan nib is gold, so you get what you pay for.

Value 9.7/10

At $9, this nib can't possibly be beaten. Smooth, never a hard starter, no skipping, no roughness, almost perfection.

Conclusion

Buy one. Now. You shall thank me later. I can recommend this replacement nib to anyone with an Ahab.

Pictures to follow soon. I got mine from xfountainpens.com under K35.

I should mention that they are German made nibs, however they don't have the omnius IPG (Iridium Point Germany) stamped on them.

http://www.venganza.org/images/fsm.png

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• rhodialover

• ClaytonLittle

• wikionion

to whihc website are you referring? Where did you get the stub nib for this pen?

I am very interested.

Knox nibs are available at xfountainpens.com. I have been using a Nemosine .6 italic that cost under $10. They are really good nibs, especially for the reasonable cost.

to whihc website are you referring? Where did you get the stub nib for this pen?

I am very interested.

Knox nibs are available at xfountainpens.com. I have been using a Nemosine .6 italic that cost under $10. They are really good nibs, especially for the reasonable cost.

I bought this nib, too, but it doesn't fit my Konrad - it's too narrow. How did you fit yours? Thanks!

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

• 10 months later...

This is my first review, so please bear with me and excuse any omissions or mistakes. Some time back there was a thread on alternate nibs for the Noodlers Ahab flex pen, and upon going to the site, I was greeted by a pleasant surprise in the form of a stub for the Ahab. I jumped on it and when I got it, I must say I fell for it quite quickly. Now onto the review portion.

First Impressions 8.5/10

Stubby to say the least (see the pun there?). I found it to be a very simple yet elegant design and immediately liked it.

Construction 7/10

Steel and more unplated steel, this nib is getting extra points because its not trying to be something its not. I should mention I'm OCD about exactness so these measurements are insanely overdone. They were taken with a high precision aircraft parts caliper, so any errors are my own. L. is 1.479" Thickness is .0147" Width of shoulder is .332" Width of end of the nib is .239"

Width of tip is .043" (1.09 mm) Breather hole diameter is .035" Nib Slit (measured from breather hole to tip) is .432" in L.

Performance 10/10

This nib performs just as well as the one on my Pelikan M600. Compare the cost of the two.$9 vs. $140. However the Pelikan nib is gold, so you get what you pay for.

Value 9.7/10

At $9, this nib can't possibly be beaten. Smooth, never a hard starter, no skipping, no roughness, almost perfection.

Conclusion

Buy one. Now. You shall thank me later. I can recommend this replacement nib to anyone with an Ahab.

Pictures to follow soon. I got mine from xfountainpens.com under K35.

I should mention that they are German made nibs, however they don't have the omnius IPG (Iridium Point Germany) stamped on them.

Can we have a writing sample? I am considering getting both the K35 1.1mm and the K35 1.9mm.

Edited by wikionion

I tried a 1.1mm italic from Goulet Pens (no affiliation) in a Mandarin Yellow Ahab and a Konrad in Olive Ripple Ebonite. The nib was perfect in both pens (not at the same time of-course). Note however, these nibs from Goulet cost fifteen bucks each. They're available in polished steel or two-tone. Goulet pens sells a package set of all six nib sizes for eighty bucks.