Waterman Serenite Cocobolo

Dan308

Greetings FPNers.

I really can't review the writing quality of this particular pen as I have never inked it. I am listing it on ebay today so I finally got around to shooting a few pictures of it. I know there are pictures of this unit floating around already, but hey; we're all looking for more right?

The pen is absolutely exquisite. The weight is rather substantial but not at all what I would consider to be heavy. Compared to resin, ebonite, sliver etc. this wood has a very warm, comparatively grippy feel.

It's the only pen that I have ever purchased and not used and it's killing me. I thought I would either sell the pen now and be done with it, or keep it, fill it with Pilot Yama-Guri and start burning through journal pages with it. It would look crazy good in the leather pen roll!

I also have a Serenite in black resin, but their similarities end at the shape. This cocobolo wood is a completely different feel.

Does anyone have an EF, FO or F nib they would consider trading for a brand new M nib? Both of mine are Mediums, and I would really like to find a much finer nib. The nibs alone on ebay are over $500.

post-72614-0-41030500-1358721907.jpg

post-72614-0-75753200-1358721910.jpg

post-72614-0-13360200-1358721913.jpg

post-72614-0-98833100-1358721914.jpg

post-72614-0-98456400-1358721916.jpg

post-72614-0-86828400-1358721919.jpg

post-72614-0-06955100-1358721924.jpg

post-72614-0-22042200-1358721926.jpg

Edited by Dan308

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dan308

• opus7600

• raging.dragon

• olivier78860

Very cool pen. Did you know that they had a faulty rate of 4/5 ? It means they made about 15000 bodies and caps, to have 3000 perfect pairs for sale.

Good luck in finding a nib, as you said, the prices are overkill on the internet. Alternatively, if you want to keep this pen, you should consider sending it to one of the reputable nib shapers of this forum, I am sure they could transform your M into a F, EF or FO for a reasonable cost.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

Very cool pen. Did you know that they had a faulty rate of 4/5 ? It means they made about 15000 bodies and caps, to have 3000 perfect pairs for sale.

Good luck in finding a nib, as you said, the prices are overkill on the internet. Alternatively, if you want to keep this pen, you should consider sending it to one of the reputable nib shapers of this forum, I am sure they could transform your M into a F, EF or FO for a reasonable cost.

Interesting! I did not know that. Yes, I suppose your right. John or one of the other nibmeisters would likely make quick work of that change. I think in most cases you have to send the whole pen in, and that always makes me nervous with pens that would be so difficult to replace. I'm waiting for an Omas 360 dlc to return from John Mottishaw right now. On pins and needles...

Have you tried contacting Waterman? Since your pen is unused, they might do a free (except for shipping) nib swap.

Have you tried contacting Waterman? Since your pen is unused, they might do a free (except for shipping) nib swap.

That's a great idea too! Although they may not have the MB nib exchange program happening, they likely would...About 10 years ago I had sickening thing happen where someone picked up a black Serenite that I had and shattered the barrel and cap trying to twist it off. I Phoned Waterman (just looking for a shoulder to cry on) and they asked if I would send them the pieces. I did, and about a month later I had a brand new pen delivered to me! That really surprised me, and I'm not even sure they would want me telling that story here. All I was expecting was the person to call me a dumb@!* and in the future when the wine starts flowing to keep my wife's friends away from good pens and sharp instruments : )

That's a great idea too! Although they may not have the MB nib exchange program happening, they likely would...About 10 years ago I had sickening thing happen where someone picked up a black Serenite that I had and shattered the barrel and cap trying to twist it off. I Phoned Waterman (just looking for a shoulder to cry on) and they asked if I would send them the pieces. I did, and about a month later I had a brand new pen delivered to me! That really surprised me, and I'm not even sure they would want me telling that story here. All I was expecting was the person to call me a dumb@!* and in the future when the wine starts flowing to keep my wife's friends away from good pens and sharp instruments : )

I know from experience that Waterman do nib swaps; however, I'm not certain whether they do so only within a certain time period, or if they'll swap any unused nib.

Waterman replace nibs for free within 3 months after the purchase.

If this is the case, I that offer would only apply when purchasing from a certified dealer.

I definitely prefer Montblanc's policy if this is the case. They have never asked how long ago the pen was purchased, or even if it has been used. As long as it is in perfect condition they'll swap it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Dan,

Nice pen!

I have a fine nib on the titanium and silver version and it is not very fine at all. Personally I think you would be better off sending it straight to John to get the sort of nib you actually want. If you did the nib swap you might find that you still need it tweaked.

All the best

Jon

Dan,

Nice pen!

I have a fine nib on the titanium and silver version and it is not very fine at all. Personally I think you would be better off sending it straight to John to get the sort of nib you actually want. If you did the nib swap you might find that you still need it tweaked.

All the best

Jon

Yes, good to know. The Mediums on both this one and my black Serenite are huge so I'm kind of not surprised to hear that. I have them both listed on ebay anyway though. Will see what happens. Might be sending two more nibs to John someday.

very nice

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Just curious - how did you decide on your "Buy It Now" price?

High, I know. I spoke to two other people that bought theirs at the same time that I did, and asked a couple of other people what they thought it might fetch and i went from there. I am entertaining offers though and there seems to be quite a few so far.

High, I know. I spoke to two other people that bought theirs at the same time that I did, and asked a couple of other people what they thought it might fetch and i went from there. I am entertaining offers though and there seems to be quite a few so far.

Ah, okay. Well, good luck, then!

• 2 months later...
  • 9 years later...

Did it really sell for 3500 dollars? Dear lord... I'm trying to sell mine now and would settle for a lower price for sure, but congratulations on the sale! It's a wonderful pen for sure😊😊

On 3/23/2013 at 5:26 PM, Dan308 said:

Sold, and sad to see it go...

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

I have the regular Serenite in blue with an XF nib and agree that the nibs seem to be a tad broader than they are labeled. Also a relatively small nib for the pen size. I like mine though and thanks for reminding me that I should get it out and fill it!   

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html