Rotring 600 Fp Fact Sheet

jgysenbergs

This one is a Rotring 600 fountain pen with a B steel nib. Built to last ...

http://users.telenet.be/jgysenbergs/data/fountainpenfactsheets/rotring600factsheet.jpg

The light you see at the end of the tunnel is that of a fast approaching train.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpeakerToAnimals

• alfredop

• PaulT00

• arkgray

This one is a Rotring 600 fountain pen with a B steel nib. Built to last ...

http://users.telenet.be/jgysenbergs/data/fountainpenfactsheets/rotring600factsheet.jpg

Hi, i have one,but in black with a F steel nib. great Pen

Count me another fan of these pens (and even of the Levenger knock-off, the L-Tech).

However, I sometimes have trouble getting the cap on the Rotring to seat correctly when closing the pen.

Is it the pen or is there a trick to doing it that I'm not getting?

Rotring 600s are my absolute favourites. Although I might just have an unnatural obsession with german engineering and something that can write really nice, precise tensor notation with small sub- and superscripts.............

As regards the cap, depends if it's a series 1 (knurled grip, no bumps/pegs), series 2 (smooth grip, bumps to hold cap), or the transitional model (knurled grip AND bumps, don't have one of these yet!). With the series 1, apparently what does the gripping is the plastic inner cap hidden away at the end of the metal cap, which is supposed to fit snugly around the little ridge just above the nib. Except after a while, it doesn't! Hence the series 2 springy bumps, which fit with much more of a snap --- unless the little metal springy bit whose visible part is the two bumps breaks, then you're buggered!

I don't know about the cap posted, I never post mine. And since I always carry in a pen box, I'm not that bothered if the cap gets a bit looser.

Either series, if you don't have the hexagonal facets lined up, it's a sorry story. I don't know if a previous idiot owner trying to close it without it lined up might damage stuff, even german engineering isn't indestructible. Or if it was ever in the hands of a toddler..................

I have to admit it was coming across a Rotring 600 that brought me back to fountain pens. After years of cheap and nasty plastic pens, I could not believe that a fountain pen could feel so comfortable or write so well.

I've tried the newer Newton as well (well, it's a lot cheaper), and although okayish, nowhere near as good as the sublime 600.

These pens could be used as a definition of robustness. Mine ( a black lacquered series 1 ) was dropped in the street and run over by a car before I noticed. Some of the lacquer rubbed off the edges but other than that it was fine. Sadly being a series 1, the inner cap is no longer clicking tightly onto the pen when capped so I rarely use the pen these days, but it was a mainstay for over a decade.

Just to report, my transitional Rotring 600 has just arrived! Well, looks like the transitional model reported elsewhere, knurled grip AND securing studs. Feels a little chunkier in the hand than the Series 1. The nib and feed are slightly different to the Series 1, but I can't quite decide if they're the same as the Series 2, or not.

Writes like a dream anyway, so I'm a happy bunny!

The Rotring 600 has been my first fountain pen, here there are some photos of my collection:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/gennyesposito/Rotring%20600/DSCN1878.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/gennyesposito/Rotring%20600/DSCN1859.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/gennyesposito/Rotring%20600/DSCN1865.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/gennyesposito/Rotring%20600/DSCN1885.jpg

Alfredo

I had a 600 and really liked it. Regretted selling it then ended up purchasing a few Levenger L techs. They have many of the same merits and very similar styling.

I actually love that you can swap out the L tech nibs quite easiy and use TWSBI nibs in them. I do wish they'd offer the pen with nib widths other than M...though it is a very good M (wet and smooth).

Cheers,

NM

I always have at least one rOtring 600 inked and in rotation. Back in the late 90's and early 00's I bought a bunch of rOtring 600s, 700s, and a few 900s. Back then the steel nibs were often under $30 on Ebay. I had at least one every variety. The ball points and pencils were tough but not as robust as the fountain pens. Unfortunately, last year I was robbed and lost most of them. I have a few left including a couple with 18K nibs.

BTW, Great pictures!

I always have at least one rOtring 600 inked and in rotation. Back in the late 90's and early 00's I bought a bunch of rOtring 600s, 700s, and a few 900s. Back then the steel nibs were often under $30 on Ebay. I had at least one every variety. The ball points and pencils were tough but not as robust as the fountain pens. Unfortunately, last year I was robbed and lost most of them. I have a few left including a couple with 18K nibs.

BTW, Great pictures!

I have one Rotring 600. It has one of the smoothest nibs I own. It's the black one. I bought it about 10 yrs. ago from Pendimonium. After reading this thread I had to ink it up again and it is grand. Why this old greybeard hasn't been using it for the last few years is a mystery. Perhaps it was the cap. The cap wouldn't stay on shortly after I got it so I send it in to be fixed. They did a good job but I still lacked confidence in the cap staying in place. I like to carry my pens so I guess it was relagated to to the unused catagory. My bad. A pen this smooth deserves a place in the rotation. After readinng this thread I've inked her up and she writes with buttery smoothness. Change isn't always for the better. If we could only keep improving things over time it would be nice,...but then where would nostalgia be?

There is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.

- Seán O'Faolain